Noise from windshield

jmstp

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Tech
Hi everyone,

Great site with fantastic conversation!!

Loving my CX-5 GT, but a recent problem has started. When driving 100+ km/h, I hear a sound from the lower left drivers side of the windshield.

Difficult to describe type of sound.... not a whistle, more of a fast tat tat tat. Not overly loud either...can easily cover it with music.

Air leakage? Moulding vibration?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

All windows are closed as far as I can tell. The first thing I did when the sound started was to open and close all windows (including the sunroof). No change. I also thought it may have been heat related expansion (i.e. direct sunlight), but happens at night too.

Planning a dealer visit in a few weeks to address an unrelated issue.... scratches behind the rear license plate resulting in rust on 1 year old vehicle! Seems they neglected to install the plastic screw mounts. Dealer says they'll repaint free of charge w/ rental!

It does fall in the range. I've noticed the "crack" sound when going over hard bumps. Hopefully fixing this will resolve the other!

Thanks!

Last edited:
jmstp: This is a subject that has been discussed here at length. People describe the noise differently, but I came to the conclusion long ago that they were all talking about the same thing and has been part of the CX-5's character since the "beginning of (CX-5) time". It's very inconsistent and generally is prompted by driving in a cross wind at about 60 mph. I describe it as the sound of heavy rain to large particles of sand in a sandstorm. It seems to have something to do with the window trim or how the windscreen is fitted. Someone swore he cured it by modifying (somehow) the black plastic trim at the base of the A-pillar that fills the naturally occurring gap between the fender and windshield. If you pull up the narrowest part of that trim piece at it's highest point on the glass, you can cause it to make a noise by pulling it and then releasing it against the glass. I never bought his explanation or his claim to have fixed it. I've just learned to live with it as it happens so infrequently.

When I lift the hood and check back by the firewall, there are rubber, both hard and flexible that are supposed to be inserted in notches. If any of they are not secure you will get noise. Ed

Back