Squealing Belt

ProtoPower13

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey everyone,

So I've noticed that lately whenever I start my MP5 or whenever it idles at like a light, there is a squealing noise from the passenger side of the engine. With further examination, I've noticed that it is the belt closest to the passenger fender that is causing this squealing noise. How hard would that be to replace or how much would it cost for me to take it to the dealership and have them fix it?

Hey everyone,

So I've noticed that lately whenever I start my MP5 or whenever it idles at like a light, there is a squealing noise from the passenger side of the engine. With further examination, I've noticed that it is the belt closest to the passenger fender that is causing this squealing noise. How hard would that be to replace or how much would it cost for me to take it to the dealership and have them fix it?

Easy if you have basic tools, don't go to the stealership unless you don't feel confident.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uIdrcal-Ic

Might as well replace both since they are so cheap.

If your belt is still good, just tighten it. Had this problem because the previous owner put on a fresh belt but didn't tighten it enough. Easy to do with basic tools and the video linked in the previous post explains it pretty good.

If your belt is still good, just tighten it. Had this problem because the previous owner put on a fresh belt but didn't tighten it enough. Easy to do with basic tools and the video linked in the previous post explains it pretty good.

good advice
if they are in bad shape and you end up replacing one do both as it will be easier and avoid more work later on. belts are cheap maintenance and can keep you from getting stranded, avoid the dealer, use a mechanic not affiliated with the dealer if you need one

Hey everyone,

Replacing it is easy. There are two bolts holding each accessory. One is the alternator. The other is the A/C pump. For each accessory, there is a pivot point that allows the object to pivot closer to the engine. This allows you to remove and put on a new belt. There is one screw that loosens and tightens the accessory. Then, there is one bolt that locks the accessory at the position you want it at. First loosen (10mm socket) the bolt that is locking the adjustment bolt in place. Then, when that is loose, you can adjust the adjustment bolt to loosen or tighten the belt.
You have two drive belts. One is wide and the other is narrow. You can't mix them up.
Loosening the alternator bolt is tight, access-wise, but doable. Just takes patience. You'll need a 1/4" drive socket as a 3/8" drive socket is too thick for access.

Hornsfan10609, maybe we can meet up sometime and that way I be sure that it is what I think it is and get a outside opinion and go from there. Or if you dm me, I can get you my number and send you a video that has the noise in it.

^that is what I was thinking too. I would do it for someone who needed it too.

'What a Great Forum'.

Replacing it is easy. There are two bolts holding each accessory. One is the alternator. The other is the A/C pump. For each accessory, there is a pivot point that allows the object to pivot closer to the engine. This allows you to remove and put on a new belt. There is one screw that loosens and tightens the accessory. Then, there is one bolt that locks the accessory at the position you want it at. First loosen (10mm socket) the bolt that is locking the adjustment bolt in place. Then, when that is loose, you can adjust the adjustment bolt to loosen or tighten the belt.
You have two drive belts. One is wide and the other is narrow. You can't mix them up.
Loosening the alternator bolt is tight, access-wise, but doable. Just takes patience. You'll need a 1/4" drive socket as a 3/8" drive socket is too thick for access.

Amen to using a 1/4" drive. I needed my 3/8" drive to loosen the bolts. However, I could only get one "click" from my ratchet due to the tight space. I did the job from above and hopefully, I wont need to do this again. If I do, I'll definitely raise the front end to access the alternator lower bolt.

Also, a little more room to slide the new belts on would have been nice. Oh well, just makes the beer taste better when finished.

I need to find some time to get up to Austin to have hornsfan10609 do a once over for my car, haha :D Maybe he can diagnose all my squeaks and crunches.

Back