stupid log book servicing

woot woot

:
Mazda 2
Hey guys just thought I would ask. I just had my car serviced as per the log book and noticed the guys over filled the engine by about 500ml. It is way past the max level on the dip stick. Will this cause any problems until I am able to drop the extra amount out?

Oil OVER max? Drain some. Or bring it back and tell them to drain some. This can be exceedingly bad for your engine, and having slightly low level is better than having it at max capacity, even moreso than over-capacity.

Thats surprising that he would fill it so much...perhaps he did not realize that the 2 only lets out 4 quarts in a drain and thought 4.5-5 quarts....I would bring it back to them and point it out. He messed it up, it needs to be pointed out.

Likely won't cause any problems, if you want to correct the level easily and get a useful tool in the process you can buy a Mighty-Vac and suck it through the dipstick with a small vacuum hose.

(Letting the shop correct it is probably a good idea if its a Mazda dealer and still under warranty.. MAKE SURE you get a repair order documented that they fawked up the first time if this is the case.. Don't let them do it off the record in the drive aisle in case you ever have ANY problems with the engine in the future)

FWIW its not uncommon to overfill other cars for motorsports applications to combat oil starvation at either extreme angles(off road) or high Gs cornering(IIRC this is recommended for some BMWs as they starve when under constant cornering loads like road racing.

If it were truly a big problem, you'd be smoking from the tailpipe, if REALLY bad it won't run and you'll be changing the plugs from oil fouling(fun fact: a Chevy Aveo will hold about 17 quarts until you see it in the valve cover fill hole... lol)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I will keep the revs down untill i drop the excess on monday. I put my mods back on hence why i cannot be bothered bringing it back over something i can do. Even if i brought it back i dont think they would do much. besides drop the excess. Over these people doing stuff i can do and charging the earth for it.

Back