Roof Rack (and hitch) options for 2002 Protege 5

aha29

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Hey,

I just bought a 2002 Protege 5. I'm looking to put a roof rack on it, fitted with a storage box, for skis and such. My car has the tracks on the roof (ie not naked). Wondering what my options are in terms of aftermarket roof rack options.

Also looking to add an aftermarket hitch to mount a bike rack, so ideas for that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think it would be easiest to go with an aftermarket setup. I'm in the process of finding a bike and kayak rack, so I know what you're going through kinda. The problem is that our OEM racks are something of an oval shape, so if you do go with an OEM rack setup you'll need adapters. Most racks that I've found are crossbars that go on top of the OEM crossbars anyways, so I would probs skip that option unless you're gonna make your own box.

Hmm, good to know. I don't know much about aftermarket set-ups--are there some models in particular that are quite popular/you would recommend? Is it something that is specific to each car or is it something I can find from Craigslist?

I had phoned my local Mazda dealer about a year ago with the part number for the roof racks and after a huge search everywhere he could,... he found that there was no new racks available ANYWHERE,.. not at a dealer or in any warehouse anywhere. (Canada or US)

So if you want any OEM roof rack equipment you're probably going to have to find used stuff and that can be difficult.

I'm not sure on recommended other than the obvious Thule and Yakima. I know Bastian has a good setup, as well as a few others. Take a look at some of the builds that people have going on here, and you should get a good idea of what you can get.

I would like to purchase your roof tracks as I have the cross bars but would like to have the option of the adjustable rails. please send me an email at pdm66@mac.com if interested. Thanks Peter

i've got a Draw Tite hitch on mine with 1 1/4 receiver. I put a Saris Thelma 2 on it. great setup that keeps the bikes out of the wind for the most part. never really noticed taking a hit in mpg either.

the only thing i can add about the roof rack is make sure whatever you put up there has enough clearance when you open the hatch. i tried to put some Rocky Mounts trays up there and the only way i could make them work without damaging the spoiler (it would hit the tray) was to run them backwards.

Back