Helllllpppppppp!!!! Replaced Two Front Calipers, Weird Noise coming from Driver Side

Bebotech

:
2002 MP5
Hello Mazda Lovers,

I replaced the two front calipers this weekend and now I have a weird noise when in motion but, once I apply the brakes it stops. Also, when I make a sharp right turn the disc hisses.

Someone please help id this problem. Also, I bled the brakes but, do not feel like the brakes are the same. I guess I had the two front calipers seize, does this make the brake pedal harder

and now that the calipers are good it softened up? I look forward to your responses.

Did you grease up the slider pins on the new calipers? And what kind of noise? Is it a clicking or chirping, or more of a grinding noise? It could just be a dust shield rubbing or brake pads dragging from lack of greased slider pins.

And just to clarify, you're saying that now the brake pedal feel is softer or harder? If it's softer than it was before the front calipers seized you might have air in your brake lines still, which is a common issue. You might need to bleed your brakes two, three, or more times to make sure you have all the air out of the system.

Right now it feels softer than before. I check the dust cover, even bent it in just to make sure but, it is still doing the same thing. It sounds like something is rubbing but, not all of the time. I did grease (Lots of grease was used during this process) the sliders since I know this was a major problem before. Before the sliders were seized really good.

Okay, it could be that your calipers are out of adjustment, but it also could be something else I don't know about.

Yeah. When you back out the piston to remove it from the rotor, that adjustment screw might not be adjusted to where it should be.

I believe so. I don't remember it, cuz I basically ripped off my caliper and swapped in MZ6 brakes.

The adjustment screw is only on the rear calipers. There is no adjustment for the fronts.

Depending on how badly seized, you could see a difference in pedal feel between seized and new caliper. A seized caliper will give you a harder pedal, but you might not have a good bleed with these new calipers.

Did you tighten the lug nuts correctly? Mine always loosen after I remove the wheels. Are the abutment clips installed correctly? Is the dust shield bent?

I would just take everything back apart and check it. It sounds like a simple assembly issue.

Last edited:
The dust shields are really easy to bend. I had one bent just slightly that would only grind when making a hard left turn. Took forever to figure it out.

Thank you so much you guys. Last night I took everything apart from the side that was making the kind of clicking noise and installed it back together and it seems to be working fine now. Now, I thought
the grinding noise was made by the same problem but, I guess not. I still have the grinding noise when I make a hard right turn. I will look at the dust shield on the passenger side for any rubbing. I am interested on the MZ6 break upgrade, what year MZ6 rotor and calipers can I install? Also, I am thinking on replacing the rear calipers this week can someone please illustrate what I am against here. I am kind of confused with the adjustment screw.

the adjustment screw is for the parking brakes that are built into the rear calipers on these cars. it adjusts the screw in style piston. some cars with rear disc brakes have a drum inside the rotor with shoes and it is used as a parking brake only. our cars have the other system, where the parking brake is built into the disc brake assembly. to change your rear pads, or take them out, you have to twist down the piston with a special tool (autozone loans this tool set $60 deposit i believe) the adjustment screw, i believe, is for after the pads are installed so you can adjust them so the parking brake sets firm and so the pads hit the rotor right while under braking during driving.

So, once I twist the piston in far enough to get the pads in, I will also have to adjust the ebrake? If so how would you recommend I do this? I always thought that once I twist the caliper piston in it would self adjust.

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the calipers?

So, once I twist the piston in far enough to get the pads in, I will also have to adjust the ebrake? If so how would you recommend I do this? I always thought that once I twist the caliper piston in it would self adjust.

one way is to put on e brake fully and take it off fully a few dozen times, the other way is the adjustment screw

I believe you replaced both calipers? In that case, the pistons are probably not suck. The other likely causes are a bent brake shield (someone else mentioned this), and improperly attached brake hardware. You'll have to completely disassemble the caliper that's grinding and then put it back together carefully. Soft brakes indicate air is still in the lines/calipers and needs to be bled out.

These are your front brakes--one of the most important parts of the car, definitely fix ASAP. Don't worry about the rear calipers until you get this fixed.

MaxPower, I appreciate your reply, I did everything you mentioned and now the brakes are phenomenal.

thanks,

Back