How long do OEM tires last?

What would I compromise dropping from a V speed rated tire down to an H speed?
We have Toyo A23 225/55R19 99V tires on our CX-5 GT from factory. V-rated tires have 149 mph and H-rated tires have 130 mph on maximum speed ratings. The internal construction of V-rated tires often use additional nylon reinforcement and heavier gauge materials to achieve their higher speed rating. Tread compounds may change, too. But tire performance and ride characteristic are affected much more by tire design itself. Speed ratings are for safety reference and capability to be fitted on a vehicle. In Europe, the speed rating on tires mounted on the new cars have to exceed the top speed announced for the vehicle.

Some CX-5 GT owner's want their replacement tires with the same V speed rating like the OEM. There's nothing wrong with that. But there're very limited choices for the size of 225/55R19, and I believe we should open our mind to select H-rated tires with the same size、load index、maximum inflation pressure、and other specs, and more importantly, the best reviews.

According to Car and Driver, the top speed for 2016 CX-5 GT AWD is 120 mph. This means H-rated tires with 130 mph speed rating is very safe even you drive at the top speed of our CX-5. In addition, Mazda itself uses H-rated Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tires on our Sport and Touring CX-5's, and they're legal in Europe and nobody seems to have any concerns on them with H-rated tires! And we all know the top speed of our GT's is not faster than Touring's and Sport's! :)

I'll be getting my tires at Discount Tire. They only offer 6 tires in 225/55 R19. The only ones on the above listed link are the Pirelli Cinturado P7, Nitto NT 421Q and Michelin Premier LTX. Which would you choose out of these 3 and why? I'm so pissed that I'm at 2/32 and my CX-5 only has 33k on it 😢

The Discount Tire website says the Cinturato P7 is a fuel efficient tire. What makes it fuel efficient? Ugh I hate shopping... for anything. Lol. Too many variables.

I'll be getting my tires at Discount Tire. They only offer 6 tires in 225/55 R19. The only ones on the above listed link are the Pirelli Cinturado P7, Nitto NT 421Q and Michelin Premier LTX. Which would you choose out of these 3 and why? I'm so pissed that I'm at 2/32 and my CX-5 only has 33k on it 😢
Although Discount Tire has only listed 3 tires for 225/55R19, they can always special order any tires on the list other than Nitto NT850+ CUV which is discontinued. Depending on the stock of their warehouse, they normally can get the tire you want within several days if they don't have it in local stock. You can ask your local Discount Tire store ordering Continental TrueContact or General AltiMAX RT43 and getting mounted several days later. The reason I didn't mention heavier Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is because it has only 44 psi on maximum inflation pressure, whereas others, including OEM Toyo A23, are having 51 psi. Having higher maximum inflation pressure usually means they're newer generation tires with more efficient design and reinforcement to achieve their higher maximum inflation pressure rating.

Yeah there're too many variables to consider and different people have different opinion. But I have seen nothing but applause by people in this forum who are using General AltiMAX RT43 and the price is good too. I myself got General AltiMAX RT43 from Discount Tire for my 1998 Honda CR-V and feel they're the best tire ever overall for all of the different tires been used for the vehicle in many years!

The rule of thumb on tread life can be roughly based on the first grade in UTQG rating. Toyo A23 has very low 300AA UTQG, and it means you should get about 30,000 mile out of it. 33K has already exceed its expectation on tread life although some people may get more.

I'll take your word for it and have Discount order them. I just hope the handling and performance are on par or better than the A23s. I hope they're quiet as well. Did you order the H rated? Tire Rack says they're available in V rated as well.

I'll take your word for it and have Discount order them. I just hope the handling and performance are on par or better than the A23s. I hope they're quiet as well. Did you order the H rated? Tire Rack says they're available in V rated as well.
For 225/55 R19, both Continental TrueContact and General AltiMAX RT43 come with only H-rated tires. It's possible they now offer new V-rated tires but I believe you're looking at V-rated for different sizes on Tire Rack. If Discount Tire says there's V-rated available for our size now then that's your call but I personally would go for V-rated unless the price is significant higher. Actually General Tire from US now is owned by Continental AG from Germany and many people suspect these two tires carry the same design hence with similar specs and performance. You'll notice these two tires would be quieter、smother、and a little softer than OEM Toyo A23's but compensating our 19" wheel GT's firm ride nicely. 3~4 pounds lighter than most same-sized tires is a big plus to absorb the bumps and achieve better fuel efficiency. The tread life definitely would be 2~3 times longer than OEM's Toyo A23. Buying tires from Discount Tire not only their state-of-art tire changing and balancing machines are better to handle our expensive 19" wheels, but also the included after-sale service of life-time tire rotation, balancing, and flat repair can be carried out nation-wide. They use torque wrench to check the lug nuts on wheels although I always re-check the torque with my own Craftsman torque wrench. And many years later when you need a new set of tires you'll find Discount Tire will give you prorated credit on unused miles from mileage warranty of the old tires, no questions asked!

Make sure to tell the tech at Discount Tire that you want 38 psi, instead of factory spec 36 psi, for all 4 tires especially with winter coming. And have them add more air into you spare tire to 60+ psi as I'd bet your spare may only have less than 40 psi in there!

BTW, just noticed Continental is offering $70 Visa cash card right now and the advantage now goes to Continental TrueContact! :)

I just ordered the Altimax's... 😢 It's ok. $70 is nothing. I thought the point of going with the Altimax was that it's a 51 psi tire as opposed to say, the Nitto which is a 44(?) psi tire? Why 38 psi and why would they inflate to 36 by default? Are the psi ratings just max tire pressure allowed?

I just ordered the Altimax's... 😢 It's ok. $70 is nothing. I thought the point of going with the Altimax was that it's a 51 psi tire as opposed to say, the Nitto which is a 44(?) psi tire? Why 38 psi and why would they inflate to 36 by default? Are the psi ratings just max tire pressure allowed?
If you call your Discount Tire soon enough and verify the $70 Visa Card on Continental, they may be willing to cancel the order on General AltiMAX RT43 and re-order the Continental TrueContact for you. If you go through the list I created in the other thread, you'll find most of them offer 51 psi maximum inflation pressure including Continental TrueContact and Nitto NT421Q (50 psi). Recommending Continental TrueContact and General AltiMAX RT43 is not because they have 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, but because both have excellent reviews by Tire Rack and members here in this community. Maximum inflation pressure is the maximum air pressure can be allowed to use on the tire, whereas car company recommended tire pressure such as 36 psi is optimum air pressure for the tires operated for this particular vehicle. 38 psi is the tire pressure many member here agreed for our GT to have the best tire wearing and performance on the 225/55 R19's. And remember mention the spare for air pressure check.

Despite the $70 Visa Card, would you still recommend the Continental over the General, even owning the General yourself? I see the Continental has a higher UTGQ at 800 and has a better warranty at 6 years/90,000 miles. The Continental also says it's "EcoPlus" because it has low rolling resistance.

Despite the $70 Visa Card, would you still recommend the Continental over the General, even owning the General yourself? I see the Continental has a higher UTGQ at 800 and has a better warranty at 6 years/90,000 miles. The Continental also says it's "EcoPlus" because it has low rolling resistance.
Yes I would pick either one of them without hesitation because they essentially are the same tire from the same company. I picked General for my Honda CR-V simply because the General brand fits better than a German brand Continental on a Japanese car. :) Anyway, $70 advantage definitely helps me to choose Continental over General!

I just picked up the Conti's at Discount Tire a couple of months ago and am pleased with them. Only minor complaint is the do wander a bit on washboard road surfaces. Otherwise very good tracking and traction for an eco tire.

I called them back and have the Continental's ordered now. The salesman said the customers he's ordered them for have been pleased. Do you recommend the optional certificate from Discount?

I called them back and have the Continental's ordered now. The salesman said the customers he's ordered them for have been pleased. Do you recommend the optional certificate from Discount?
No, I would never buy any optional certificate or "road hazard" insurance just like not getting any extended warranty on cars. Discount Tire will fix the puncture for free unless the tire is unrepairable. In that case the "road hazard" insurance or certificate will kick in to cover the tire replacement.

I've always been the type to purchase the extended warranty on anything I spend over $500 for. I've only had a nail in one tire in the 3 years I've had this 2014 model. Maybe I'll get lucky and not need it.

I've always been the type to purchase the extended warranty on anything I spend over $500 for. I've only had a nail in one tire in the 3 years I've had this 2014 model. Maybe I'll get lucky and not need it.
Be watchful on the road debris while you're driving which can avoid possible tire damage greatly. The other reason of not getting road hazard warranty is when you unfortunately had a puncture too close to the sidewall and can't be patched from inside, you'd most likely need a pair of new tires for FWD or all 4 new tires for an AWD. Thus in fact you'd still have to spend some serious money even if you have road hazard warranty!

I forgot the mention that we still can get a same new single replacement tire for FWD or AWD vehicle and use a tire shaving service that removes tread rubber from the new tire to allow it to match the remaining tread depth of the other tires that will remain on the vehicle. In addition to providing equivalent tread depth to eliminate driveline stress, shaved tire will also better match the traction and handling qualities of the remaining worn tires.

32K for me got me to 2/32 - 4/32 (depending on the tire position and channel) on a 2013 CX-5 (bought in August 2012). I swapped them today for a set of Continental TrueContact($169 a piece at Discount Tire).

32K for me got me to 2/32 - 4/32 (depending on the tire position and channel) on a 2013 CX-5 (bought in August 2012). I swapped them today for a set of Continental TrueContact($169 a piece at Discount Tire).
32K-mile tread life should be pretty standard for our OE Toyo A23 tires with "300 A A" UTQG rating. Current $70 Visa cash card offer for Continental TrueContact saves us some money too! :)

Back