2014 Mazda3 i Touring Hatch Arrives...

alex@jeffhaas

:
Not a Mazda :(
2014 Mazda3 i Touring Hatchback in Soul Red Metallic, equipped with SKYACTIV-AT 6-speed automatic transmission. No additional equipment.

It looks like we are a couple of days behind the west coast dealerships in getting these new cars in, but our first unit rolled off of the truck just earlier, and I snapped some photos. I've also uploaded a video of the gauge cluster at startup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Y_gTNdCAw

The full gallery, including full-size images, is available for viewing here: http://alex.zheng-dynasty.com/2013/08/2014-mazda3-i-touring-hatchback-arrives/

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Follow through the link to view full size: http://alex.zheng-dynasty.com/2013/08/2014-mazda3-i-touring-hatchback-arrives/

Attachments

• 2013-08-26-14.32.27.jpg
    2013-08-26-14.32.27.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,096
  • 2013-08-26-14.32.36.jpg
    2013-08-26-14.32.36.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2,037
  • 2013-08-26-14.32.48.jpg
    2013-08-26-14.32.48.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 3,091
  • 2013-08-26-14.33.30.jpg
    2013-08-26-14.33.30.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,937
  • 2013-08-26-14.33.45.jpg
    2013-08-26-14.33.45.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,907
Last edited:
Another i Touring, I guess. Soul Red though, nice.

I'm actually warming up to some of the Titanium Flash photos I've seen. A lot depends on the lighting angle, which I happen to like in a paint color.

Another i Touring, I guess. Soul Red though, nice.

I'm actually warming up to some of the Titanium Flash photos I've seen. A lot depends on the lighting angle, which I happen to like in a paint color.
My sentiments exactly. It would have been nice to receive one of the higher-end models to display on the showroom floor. That time will come soon!

Anyone know when the sedan comes out?
I've been told that the sedan is hot on the heels of the hatchback. I'm showing a number that are scheduled for production, but details won't pull up at this time.

First time I've seen one without the 7" screen on the dash. It's too bad they put a smaller version with radio controls there on models without nav, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised (where else would it go?). I think many people would prefer to skip the 7" screen/nav and put their smartphone on a friction mount right where the radio is. Oh well.

First time I've seen one without the 7" screen on the dash. It's too bad they put a smaller version with radio controls there on models without nav, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised (where else would it go?). I think many people would prefer to skip the 7" screen/nav and put their smartphone on a friction mount right where the radio is. Oh well.

A friction mount on a Mazda? And the first time you drive it like a Mazda your smartphone goes flying thanks to stupiduser? :)

I am a big fan of putting such devices to my left side with a windshield mount. Alternatively a vent mount for center vent works well. Then again I do not have the biggest smartphone.

I am a big fan of putting such devices to my left side with a windshield mount. Alternatively a vent mount for center vent works well. Then again I do not have the biggest smartphone.

Everyone has their preferred schemes.

I find a windshield mount a pain to remove and re-stick. Leaving it there is asking for a smash-and-grab. I find the left side out of the way for the aux in and power cables without long runs and clever routing. I've never understood vent mounts, as they block the vent. Why block the vent?

The radio on the non-touch screen models is terrible. It looks like it was an after thought. The car was clearly designed with the touch screen in mind and the ones without it were left with the aftermarket satellite radio looking application. It's also very cumbersome to use. Yes, I have tried it. The CD player is also under the HVAC controls. I know, we all use USB/AUX/Bluetooth for audio now, but there are those that don't.

Curious how one would install an aftermarket head unit in this car. I'm no audiophile so I'm okay with the stock stuff lol

I think they're intentionally making aftermarket setups more and more difficult. That's money that could have gone to them when buying new. I suppose you could fit a single DIN unit down where the CD player is. Not sure what else you could do in here though.

On the flip side, how much beyond a dock for your phone and a way to hook it to the speakers do you actually need these days? :)

OK guys, the 2014 Mazda3 s Grand Touring is a good car. I flogged one around for a short test drive yesterday and enjoyed it. It just works..

The radio on the non-touch screen models is terrible. It looks like it was an after thought. The car was clearly designed with the touch screen in mind and the ones without it were left with the aftermarket satellite radio looking application. It's also very cumbersome to use. Yes, I have tried it. The CD player is also under the HVAC controls. I know, we all use USB/AUX/Bluetooth for audio now, but there are those that don't.

The placement and controls are the least of it. I drove a '14 2.0 Touring hatchback last week, and the sound system was worse than anything I've encountered in a car for the last 20 years. It seemed muffled -- no decent treble or base -- even after I adjusted everything. I sure hope the sound system that comes with the touchscreen is better.

Pretty sure that teh tech package would include Bose, and it's kind of awesome. What are your feelings on the Tech Package? :)

I checked the invoice vs MSRP on 2014 Mazda3 i Touring hatchback with Technology Package and it's $23,540 to $22,501.. But still, dat Tech Package.

Latest posts

Back