Stock CX7 Turbo Upgrade Suggestions?

Dougie

:
Mazda Cx7
Hey everyone! I have a 2007 CX7 Stock. My turbo has gone out for the third time in 82k miles, one of which was due to the infamous smoking issue. Since Mazda "fixed" the problem under warranty I have lost 2 more, the last one only making it 13k miles. That being said, I have decided to start upgrading the car with Aftermarket parts. I was wondering what Turbo you guys would recommend that would work well for the time being with stock settings but also have the ability to give me some added performance now and down the road. Any information would be amazing! Thanks for your help.

Weird that you've lost so many turbos in such a short time. Have you investigated what may be the cause? My 07 has 67,000 miles and no problems and others report over 100,000 without a replacement. Not sure an after market would solve your problem. Ed

First one was due to the smoking issue which Mazda replaced under the extended warranty they put out. Last two I have no idea. They said I need to let the car sit and idle for a little while before shutting off. Which would make sense because for the life of both turbo's i was a delivery driver where I'd literally drive the crap out of it and was constantly turning the engine off with no idle period when I got back to the store 15 - 20 times a night 4-5 days week. So that makes total sense. Hoping that was the issue and nothing else being wrong as I do not work there anymore.

being a boosted vehicle. always let idle for a minute if not driving it hard. and up to 3 minutes if its extremely hot out or if you beat it to hell. make sure to use synthetic oil, 5w40 preferably. thats what a lot of MS3 guys use. and change the oil every 3-4k miles. if you ever see the oil in these things its blacker than black when it comes out. and oil will literally cook inside the turbo if you dont let the oil drain out properly when at idle. no turbo will last with cooked oil inside of it at 350 degrees.

if anything. id upgrade the oil feed and especially the return line, before dishing out money for an upgraded turbo. as stated before, theres definitely something wrong if youre going through a turbo that fast, let alone 3 turbos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I will let idle from now on. I think I am going to go with the BNR stage 1 turbo since it is cheaper than replacing with factory stock from dealer. Failure to let it idle is most likely the problem. As I said I would drive the heck out of it and never let it idle. Which from now on I will do.

quick question, a turbo timer on a cx7 can be installed ? this way it could idle and turn off by itself so you don't have to wait inside the car the whole time.

The manual says to let it idle for 30 seconds after driving at hiway speeds or up a hill. Our 2010 has 55k miles. We use full synthetic and change every 5k. So far no probs.

My MS3 is my daily driver and 101k on it with stock original turbo. You can look into BNR (http://bnrsupercars.com/) they have S1 and S3 that claim "The benefit of the BNR upgrade is the increased shaft size, shorter shaft, bigger bearings, better thrust bearing assembly, better turbine wheel, more efficient compressor wheel, and last but not least, more reliable," with smoking issue fixed that plagues the stock K04's. As for oil, many of the Mazdaspeed guys including myself recommend using Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 oil which is a full synthetic Diesel motor oil the aids in the smoking issues, you can also look into the "bnoon bolt" fix too on stock turbos restricting the large flow of oil into the turbo causing leaking seals and smoking. I personally use an Apex'i Turbo timer that lets the car idle for 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off, 30 seconds is more than enough time even with my 45 min drive to work all expressway. This may not be all the answers, but certainly has worked for me and mines still running fine

Back