Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring

I tried again this morning on my 2014 to toggle the DRL setting with no success. I noticed that in the 2014 service manual, it references that it can be changed, then shows no procedure for changing it.
    Thanks

Chris W

2014 CX-5 FWD touring

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mazda Fan View Post
    Worked for me on the first try. I have to admit, I felt like the dupe of some joke while I was turning the lights off and on. But the instructions looked real enough. No misspelled words like that email from that Nigerian prince. I don't like DRLs because when it gets dark, it looks like my lights are on when they're not, so I'm running around with no tail lights.
    So did you start the procedure from an engine off, parked vehicle? Did you leave it in park throughout the procedure?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
    So did you start the procedure from an engine off, parked vehicle? Did you leave it in park throughout the procedure?
    Engine off, Ignition on (press button twice w/o brake pedal), car in park, parking brake on. Foot on brake, light switch on/off 5 times, hazards button 10 presses, light switch on/off 5 times. Foot off brake. Parking brake off, no DRL, switch into gear, DRLs come on.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig

From the OM:
    Daytime running lights turn on automatically when the ignition is switched ON. They turn off when the parking brake is operated or the shift lever is shifted to the P position (automatic transaxle vehicle).
    This is why these instructions puzzle me, especially Step 7, because no mention is made of what gear the car is in, and Step 7 won't work if the car is in park.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by cwstnsko View Post
    Engine off, Ignition on (press button twice w/o brake pedal), car in park, parking brake on. Foot on brake, light switch on/off 5 times, hazards button 10 presses, light switch on/off 5 times. Foot off brake. Parking brake off, no DRL, switch into gear, DRLs come on.
    This is exactly my experience (note that per the instructions, I turn light switch to parking, not all the way to on). I have also tried switching into neutral before executing the procedure, but also without success.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig

One thought has occurred to me, and that is that every attempt I've made has been in a garage, which causes my headlights to come on when switching through the auto position. I guess I'll have to try it outdoors to see if that has any bearing.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by cwstnsko View Post
    There's your problem. Release the parking brake, THEN take your foot off the pedal.

Registered Member

This is the actual procedure sent to Jeff Schmidt Mazda service department by Mazda Tech Support. It does work.

Mine is a 2013 Sport, so I don't have to worry about the automatic lights.

Step 7 is just releasing the parking brake. When the service manager and I were trying the procedure, we were expecting to see something
    on the dash blink to confirm programming. No lights blinked or changed on the dash, so we were confused by the ON/OFF wording in step 7.

These are some of the gotchas:

Car should be in park. (I don't know about the manual transmission...)
    Don't start the engine.
    Don't set the switch to accessory, it needs to be in ignition mode. The dash warning lights should be lit.
    Put your foot on the brake pedal AFTER setting the switch to ignition mode.
    Keep your foot on the brake pedal through the whole procedure. Only take your foot off the brake after the parking brake is released.
    Don't turn the headlights on, just turn the switch to the parking lights.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino_66 View Post
    This is the actual procedure sent to Jeff Schmidt Mazda service department by Mazda Tech Support. It does work.

Mine is a 2013 Sport, so I don't have to worry about the automatic lights.

Step 7 is just releasing the parking brake. When the service manager and I were trying the procedure, we were expecting to see something
    on the dash blink to confirm programming. No lights blinked or changed on the dash, so we were confused by the ON/OFF wording in step 7.

These are some of the gotchas:

Car should be in park. (I don't know about the manual transmission...)
    Don't start the engine.
    Don't set the switch to accessory, it needs to be in ignition mode. The dash warning lights should be lit.
    Put your foot on the brake pedal AFTER setting the switch to ignition mode.
    Keep your foot on the brake pedal through the whole procedure. Only take your foot off the brake after the parking brake is released.
    Don't turn the headlights on, just turn the switch to the parking lights.

OK, so on one of my many attempts this afternoon, instead of waiting after pressing start twice (with foot off brake) for the car to run all its diagnostics, etc., I began the procedure right away; about halfway through the pressing of the hazard switch I realized that the hazards hadn't been "clicking" on the first few presses (I guess because the car was still performing pre-start diagnostics) but began "clicking" on the remaining presses. So, how long did you wait after pressing the start button (twice, with foot off brake pedal, car in park, parking brake on) before beginning the procedure?

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

For those of you with Auto lights, make sure you are going from off, past the auto setting, to the parking light setting, and then back to off when you are flicking the headlight switch.

I got it on my second try.
    I forgot the handbrake on the first try, silly me.

BC.

Registered Member

2014 CX5

Guess ill have to try again if the 2014 guys are getting it. I've done it about 10 times so far with no luck.
    2014 CX-5 AWD

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
    Guess ill have to try again if the 2014 guys are getting it. I've done it about 10 times so far with no luck.
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious but what is the advantage of disabling the daytime running lights?

I'm not sure I would even know if mine were on or off.

Mazda CX-5 Touring w/bose-tech

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mazda Fan View Post
    Worked for me on the first try. I have to admit, I felt like the dupe of some joke while I was turning the lights off and on. But the instructions looked real enough. No misspelled words like that email from that Nigerian prince. I don't like DRLs because when it gets dark, it looks like my lights are on when they're not, so I'm running around with no tail lights.
    the drl's aren't near bright enough to be confused as headlights imo,
    plus the dash and screen lights are blindingly bright when the exterior light drops off near/at sunset should be a clue that your headlights aren't on...

Registered Member

This thread is not for the debate of disabling the daytime running lights. If you want to do that, start a different thread.

There was a reason I put this line in the original post...

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

This thread is not for the debate of disabling the daytime running lights. If you want to do that, start a different thread.
    I don't want to debate, I'm trying to learn what the benefit is.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast