First steps for performance upgrades

Antonius

:
MPV LX 2003, Protege5 2003
I just bought a 2003 Protege5 and am absolutely loving it. Traded in my Miata for a minivan in 2003 when my first kid was born and didn't even realize how much I have missed having a stick shift. My budget will not allow major performance upgrades but I know there is a wealth of information on this forum and was wondering if I could get some suggestions. Would a K & N filter make a difference? How about investing in double platinum spark plugs? Any brand recommendations?
Would I be able to spend $100 and notice a difference? If so, what should I spend the $100 on?
How about for $200? 300?
Budget will definitely not allow me to think beyond that this year yet so should I even bother?

I hope to invest more in the future but just looking at getting started with a few small things. I'm a total newby at this.

Any input is appreciated.

Most of the "little" things like spark plugs k&n filter ect ect won't do much. You won't be able to feel much without spending a bit of cash.

Best bang for buck is get an mp3 ecu, it helps smoth out the torque curve but u have to run 91 octane. But most people ( I hope lol) would agree its worth getting.

if you're on a tight budget, spend it on suspension related items. best bang for buck mod imo is a new rear swaybar, you should be able to pick up one up used for under $100. hp/tq gains from bolt ons like exhaust, header, intake wont gain you much. Especially compared to how much they cost.

I also agree with Domo about the MP3 ECU flash being a great mod. you may also notice a few mpg increase.

Thanks Domo and Brian!
Found a guy that sells the MP3 ECU flash for $150 if I give him my ECU in return. Guessing that means he re-programs them.
Fair deal?
Figure I'll still get a K & N filter anyway it doesn't really cost anything over time and stay with that for now.
Will look at a new rear swaybar next round.

I have numerous naturally aspirated mods...that added together make a noticeable difference compared to stock...however, if i had to pick a handful of things that made the biggest noticeable difference on their own...it would be:

as mentioned; the mp3 ecu...I did exactly what you're saying...I paid $250 to spicy MSP for an reflashed Mp3 ecu...installed it, and sent back my original for a $100 core refund...great guy to deal with, had my new ecu and old one returned with refund inside of a week...and only 15 minutes of down time for the car...

Granted, i had a some other mods in place before i did this last fall...but the change was extremely noticeable...and i'm recording about 2 mpg better than before...which makes up the difference for premium gas...well worth it imo...

2nd...would be a proper header...

the factory exhaust manifold, pre-cat, and crush bent downpipe are pretty sad...a decent header can be bought new for relatively cheap, but better yet look for a used unit in good shape...While this mod does involve some emissions issues depending on your area, its still very easy to prevent the cel from coming on...and unless you're in California, its pretty safe to get away with as the only mandated laws involve having at least one catalyst...which you'll keep in the system...

You can eventually look for a decent intake and cat-back exhaust system...and have all the bolt-ons, a nice little bump from stock if that is all you're after...bolt-ons are good only in that you can do the work over a long period of time...you could go forced induction, but it'll take a chunk of cash all at once to even get the car running...but the benefit being a far higher jump in engine output...

hope that helps...

Thanks! That's very helpful. Anything specific I should be looking for in a header? A brand I should be looking out for?

Not sure I'll ever go forced induction. Just go step by step with other things while keeping it naturally aspirated. You know how this goes though. Time will tell.

Living in Oregon right now and they are pretty relaxed about emissions. Moving to Florida though and not sure what it's like there. Probably makes sense to find out before I head to DMV there at the end of the year.

Thanks!

Only thing I know about headers is that some of them don't line up properly to attach the EGR tube,.... Look into that. Ebay headers are a bit of a gamble in that regard.
The bung attachment is there but at the wrong angle.

You should PM whatusername,... he lives in Florida,... I think he said it's pretty relaxed there too.

Last edited:
Friend of mine lived in florida for a while, he said florida emissions and inspections are a joke. You pretty much have to have a windshield for them to put a sticker on and thats it

Only thing I know about headers is that some of them don't line up properly to attach the EGR tube,.... Look into that. Ebay headers are a bit of a gamble in that regard.
The bung attachment is there but at the wrong angle.

You should PM whatusername,... he lives in Florida,... I think he said it's pretty relaxed there too.
We dont have emissions in florida anymore. we did in tampa till about 98 but that was the end of it. and it was more than having a windshield lol they did actually hook up to ur tail pipe and have the computer read the emissions you put out and also used to use an inspection mirror to make sure u had a cat..... im glad those days are gone u can run fully open with no cat and no one can tell u anything bout it.BUT...... if u have an ashcan muffler take it off otherwise u will become highway patrols new best friend. i have a flowmaster on mine now and it sounds like an ashcan but so far they have not messed with me but dont mean they wont...

BTW: Mazda 5 is a minivan with a manual transmission, just tell the SO you don't know how to drive an automatic.

Thanks and glad to hear it. Lived in California before moving to Oregon and they put your car through what seemed to be pretty thorough emissions tests every year. The car I bought spent time in Washington and has odometer readings from emissions tests there on its Autocheck report so I guess Oregon is the only state on this coast that doesn't bother.

We dont have emissions in florida anymore. we did in tampa till about 98 but that was the end of it. and it was more than having a windshield lol they did actually hook up to ur tail pipe and have the computer read the emissions you put out and also used to use an inspection mirror to make sure u had a cat..... im glad those days are gone u can run fully open with no cat and no one can tell u anything bout it.BUT...... if u have an ashcan muffler take it off otherwise u will become highway patrols new best friend. i have a flowmaster on mine now and it sounds like an ashcan but so far they have not messed with me but dont mean they wont...

Would definitely consider adding a Mazda5 when we get to Florida but recall thinking it seemed underpowered when it came out so will have to come back to this forum in the Mazda5 section to learn how to resolve that :)

BTW: Mazda 5 is a minivan with a manual transmission, just tell the SO you don't know how to drive an automatic.

sorry, missed your question...

As some pointed out, just do the research on a header if you decide to upgrade to one...There are a ton of options, but the hard part is that they fall at the two extremes...most options are very cheap, but not necessarily the best quality...and fitment can be an issue because they're sort of a 'universal' fit for this specific mazda engine...not a protege...Mazda put this FS engine in a lot of cars...so you won't have any problems bolting a cheap header to the block...but EGR modifications and/or mid pipe adjustments may be needed depending on what unit you buy...

and the other option...a full race-bred AWR...thats around $500 before shipping...quality on that is far beyond any of the ebay/obx style systems...but you pay for it, obviously...

in either case...there is little reason to buy any of this stuff new anymore...the FS section has header systems being let go weekly...and it being used, you'll be fully informed of how it fits and what additional work may be needed...

Back