Headlight Adjusting

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
Hey mazdaspeeders hope all is well. I have a p5 but my brother asked me to try and find out some info for his car about adjusting his headlamps up a bit on his 2010 mazdaspeed 3. I know he took it in to the dealer and they said there is no way to adjust these particular headlights. Is there anything you all might know about getting them up a bit cause he said his are forced down very badly. I just adjusted my lights on the p5 yesterday and it was very simple, just screw or unscrew a bolt right on the back of it and it went up or down. Please any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

I don't know about gen2 but gen1 has a feature to tilt the headlights down to compensate for heavy cargo in the back... he doesn't have that set to a value greater than 0 by any chance... does he?

If your brother bought the car used and needs the headlights adjusted, he may want to run a carfax and see if the car has been reported in any collisions. Even if they don't show up, he may have some front end damage which has resulted in misaligned/poorly aimed headlights.

The owners manual would show a way to adjust them manually if it is possible.

No the car was bought brand new off the dealership and has never been in a crash. He has the xenon lights with it that come with the car. All he's having troubles is to lift them up a bit. IS there any easy way to do this on the mazdaspeed or no?

Open the hood, behind the headlight you will find a gear like type of wheel, you can fit a philips screwdriver from the top that will go into the gears. Turn left or right to raise and lower the beam's cutoff.

I did my 2nd gen MS3 this way.

Pic: http://i51.tinypic.com/14qlc6.jpg

That pic is from a 3 GT model but it gives a good idea what to look for.

Check to see if the car has a roller rheostat on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It is in the same area as the dimmer for the dash lights. It rolls up and down. Do this BEFORE messing with the light adjusters under the hood. Rolling that control up or down raises or lowers the lights to compensate for heavy loads. It's location and function should also be covered in the owners manual. It is probably just rolled down.

Do not move the adjustments under the hood until you do this. Otherwise you will just be blinding oncoming traffic.

The 2nd gen's do not have the in-car headlight electronic adjusters like the 1st gen's do.

I have a 2nd gen with the tech pkg with every option avail, and I never saw an option for the headlight adjuster, correct me if I'm wrong.

Back