Dome Light problem

Jackie chan

:
Pro5
A couple of weeks ago I was working on installing some footwell LEDs.
I wanted them to work at the same time as the dome light.
So I opened the dome light and unplugged it to see what color the wires were.

I played around with different combos of the wires and the wires of my LEDs.

long story short, I connected the positive and negative led wires to both dome light wires.
It popped... Figured I blew the ROOM fuse. Nope fuse appeared good, but I replaced it just to make sure.

Wasn't the fuse. The dome light still works in the "ON" position, but not the "DOOR"

Don't know what's up, if you've got any insight on this, lemme here it

thanks.

I went out and took apart my dome light for curiosities sake and found the the light works in the "on" position with the unit unscrewed, so the two wires feeding into it must be B+ and ground, but the door position needs to have the screws put in to provide a ground circuit for that position.

The interior light/map light schematics are apparently on page I-3 of the P5 wiring diagrams but that page is yet another one that isn't shown.

The weird and fancy thing about the "door" position is that it is running through some sort of control circuit that is timed and then slowly dims the bulb to black,.. so that is either controlled by an Integrated Circuit or transistor type circuit somewhere. I suppose you could trace the two wires going into the dome light back to it's source where ever the heck that might be and try to fix or replace the control circuit but that is really hard to do without a schematic.

My guess is that you blew up the control circuit for the auto dim and timer or maybe if you're lucky, it's just a grounding issue at the screws.

You could check to make sure the door switch circuit is still working by seeing if the "door ajar" symbol illuminates with the door open or if the headlight reminder buzzer goes off when you open the door to see if any other circuits were affected.

Everything seems normal other than the non-functional "DOOR" position.

The door switches all work.
It sounded exactly like a blown fuse. But it wasn't a fuse.
So it was probably that control circuit.

Yea you probably blowed up your circuit. It's too bad there is no schematics for it then you could locate it and narrow it down. I figure it's probably in the dash somewhere because it has inputs for when the car is started. It leaves the light on until you start the car then slowly dims it off after it is running.

Back