HELP !!! Oil Cooler / Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = $420 Seal !!!

:
Mazda 5 GT
Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = $420 Seal .... NOT!!!

UPDATE: Just have to buy this gasket: LF8X-14-702 same as pictured. $4.70 list, exact replacement w/o any headaches... woohoo!

UPDATE #2:The gray ridge part of the o-ring on the black plastic spacer/gasket interface between the oil filter housing and oil cooler had torn when it stuck to the old cartridge housing,causing the leak between the new housing and the oil cooler.

Original Post:

In trying to update my 2009 Mazda 5 cartridge oil filter to the current Spin On Filter Conversion, I inadvertently split the silicone seal/gasket between the oil cooler and the oil filter housing! This caused me to lose 4qts of oil during start up and almost lose my engine! Be careful not to do what I did!

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

The seal is only sold with the Oil Cooler = $420!

I removed the ridged (looked like 1/2 o-ring on top of silicone gasket) silicone seal from the plastic plate attached to the oil cooler and tried to make one myself out of Make a Gasket Silicone but to no avail. Carefully beaded the caulk onto the plastic plate, let it form a skin. smoothed it out leaving enough for compression with an ice cube, put together, tighten bolt on cooler to housing, let dry 36 hours,re tightened.

Started it up = oil seeped out at seal interface! Totally frustrated!! In DYI for more than 45 years, this got the best of me!

Any thoughts:
Resources to purchase just the Plastic Plate/ Silicone seal rather than the $420 Oil Cooler with seal.
How to build a silicone seal that will withstand the oil pressure.

PS: I looked on this site and they sell this gasket, which I going to try. Note item # 14-702 @ oil cooler assembly: 1400A - OIL PUMP & FILTER (2500CC). Fits: Mazda | Jim Ellis Mazda

Just looked at the diagram for the Mexico Oil Cooler,which I bought, not knowing if the Plastic Plate/ Silicone seal was available for purchase. A lot cheaper than the USA model quote!

Pics of the offending install

Many Thanks to all Forum members, Brad

PS Thanks to Silentnoise713 for his knowledge base

Attachments

• IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    750.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 655
Last edited:
Thanks for the follow up on the part number and your solution to the problem.(detect)

Hopefully this serves as a warning to the DIY oil changers to keep an eye on this part.

Thanks for the follow up on the part number and your solution to the problem.(detect)

Hopefully this serves as a warning to the DIY oil changers to keep an eye on this part.

I still have no idea what part this is. I'd keep an eye on it if I knew.

This is not a part a DIY oil change will ever encounter. You will only run into this part if you are converting your cartridge filter base to a spin-on canister filter base (or messing with things). Even then, I still don’t understand how the OP manager to destroy it. It must have been an accident, which happens but definably not something that ‘breaks’ easily.

This gasket exists between the oil filter base/housing and oil cooler attachment resting on top. ’09 (some say later ’08s too but I haven’t heard of any) and up cars came with canister type filter so you wouldn’t touch this unless you want to go back to cartridge filters, in which case I’d be happy to sell you a cartridge base/housing -cheap :D
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...anister-filter-–-Mazda5&p=5911877#post5911877

@ OP - you should correct the title of this thread so as not to scare newbies. $420 is not quite $4.70 ;)

Last edited:
Back