Navigation controller found on EU Mazda CX-5

Zeal Red

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT w/Tech PKG JBM
Has anyone thought of getting the European navigation control located where our cup holders are? According to the UK CX-5 brochure the unit is called "Commander Switch"

Last edited:
I'm sure the headunit is identical. Just the matter of installing the harness (that is if it is not there), changing the center console along with new unit, and bam.

I have yet to use the cup holders for anything except my phone, which I seldom do because of the cubby in front of the shifter.

I too would love to have the nav controller in the center console. Maybe we should hunt down a EU distributor and do a group buy.

I will try and take the center console apart this week to see if any unused plugs are there, in the meantime I am looking through the service manual for the wires...

Good picture that shows the unit and the cup holder, imho sophisticated.

audio-control-mazda-cx-5.jpg

Last edited:
I too would love to have the nav controller in the center console. Maybe we should hunt down a EU distributor and do a group buy.

MazParts is the only U.S. distributor that can grab international OEM parts of any kind. So ask them if need be.

I'd imagine the Mazda6 unit itself which can be obtain in the states by parts order can be used since the systems are identical to the CX-5's. Just the matter of getting the whole console section

By the way, you can look by prying up the shifter trim peal entirely around the outter edge. Before you do that, unscrew the shift knob (CCW). There is also a harness connector you have to disconnect for the gear pattern light assembly.

It is MazMart, I will give them a call tomorrow, I have been there a few times in the past.

Last edited:
MazParts is the only U.S. distributor that can grab international OEM parts of any kind. So ask them if need be.

I'd imagine the Mazda6 unit itself which can be obtain in the states by parts order can be used since the systems are identical to the CX-5's. Just the matter of getting the whole console section

By the way, you can look by prying up the shifter trim peal entirely around the outter edge. Before you do that, unscrew the shift knob (CCW). There is also a harness connector you have to disconnect for the gear pattern light assembly.

Cool. That's good to know. Hopefully Zeal Red can get something going for us :)

The center console doesn't look like it will be a directly swap. We might have to order the EU version fo the center console... this is going to be pricey

I knew it was not going to be a direct swap other than the switch, which is what I want then the price of the console. I have patience so saving the dough is not such a big deal. Assuming the navi unit is 400, I would guess the center console piece is somewhere under that.

The MZ6 center console is not a direct swap as mentioned before. I am trying to find out if the shifter trim piece is direct though. The MZ6's HVAC, Navi, and shifter trim pieces are much higher quality in build and appearance with the piano black surface and metal accents. Not exactly relevant to this thread though :) .

I have removed the upper panel and shift panel to look for any unused connectors and there where non to be found. So not sure how the commander switch will be powered unless it comes with a cable of sorts.

Hi guys. I'm a UK owner and my CX-5 has the Multimedia Commander. It looks pretty neat, but doesn't add any functionality to the head unit, it just duplicates some of the buttons and allows up/down/left/right and scroll actions with the wheel. In some menus it's actually counter intuitive, and in most cases it's far quicker and easier to use the head unit.

The only positive is that using it stops the touchscreen from getting covered in fingerprints!

Last edited:
That is a large reason as to why I want it, the screen looks like crap with fingerprints.

I guess its very nice to scroll thru your musiclibrary and such.
I had a BMW and loved the iDrive control, very easy to use while driving.

Will get my CX-5 in a week or so. (with HMI as im in europe)

That is a large reason as to why I want it, the screen looks like crap with fingerprints.

The 5.8" screen makes it so difficult to select buttons on the touch screen, especially when the car is in motion. Damn finger bouncing all over the place.

I have the UK model and must say that since getting used to the multimedia commander I now never touch the screen.... I find it really easy to use especially when driving along as it is easier for me to reach than the screen is....

I searched but could not find it, the EU service manual for the Mazda CX-5, anyone?

Hi guys. I'm a UK owner and my CX-5 has the Multimedia Commander. It looks pretty neat, but doesn't add any functionality to the head unit, it just duplicates some of the buttons and allows up/down/left/right and scroll actions with the wheel. In some menus it's actually counter intuitive, and in most cases it's far quicker and easier to use the head unit.

The only positive is that using it stops the touchscreen from getting covered in fingerprints!

+1 no one who gets in my car is told it's a touch screen. They look at the silver control and say "what's that" and I tell them its to navigate around the screen, as **ahem** there's no other way to select the stuff on the screen. (well not unless they have a death wish! (weakest)

Back