What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Today I installed Corksport springs and LYKT control arms. Next is to get an alignment.

I also ordered Akebono ProACT pads, part numbers:

Front: ACT1258
Rear: ACT1846

Not what I've done, but on Sunday I was driving home from the twin cities and about 10 minutes short of North Branch and suddenly I felt my car buckle, the RPMs shoot up to about 3000rpm, my ABS / TCS / CEL came on, and I lost all power. I panicked but didn't do anything dumb, drove it to the nearest pull-off about a mile away and got to the gas station parking lot. I got out and visually looked underneath the car to ensure nothing had happened with the wheels/brakes, turned the car off and back on, and everything seemed to return to normal. About 10 minutes later the same issue came back, only this time my audio cut out and the BSM warning came up. I figured I'd better pull off to O'Reilly's and make sure my battery was ok. My BT OBD scanner showed P0882, which could've been a plethora of things but I was hoping just the battery. Well, when we popped my hood open they noticed both of my battery connectors had been loosely attached to the pos/neg terminals. After testing the battery they re-tightened the connectors and all has been fine since. So scary!

Better pics later, but Corksport springs were installed yesterday.

PXL_20240501_003740729-1.jpg

PXL_20240501_003530066-1.jpg

Not what I've done, but on Sunday I was driving home from the twin cities and about 10 minutes short of North Branch and suddenly I felt my car buckle, the RPMs shoot up to about 3000rpm, my ABS / TCS / CEL came on, and I lost all power. I panicked but didn't do anything dumb, drove it to the nearest pull-off about a mile away and got to the gas station parking lot. I got out and visually looked underneath the car to ensure nothing had happened with the wheels/brakes, turned the car off and back on, and everything seemed to return to normal. About 10 minutes later the same issue came back, only this time my audio cut out and the BSM warning came up. I figured I'd better pull off to O'Reilly's and make sure my battery was ok. My BT OBD scanner showed P0882, which could've been a plethora of things but I was hoping just the battery. Well, when we popped my hood open they noticed both of my battery connectors had been loosely attached to the pos/neg terminals. After testing the battery they re-tightened the connectors and all has been fine since. So scary!

Who was the last person to do any work on your car concerning the battery?

⋯ Well, when we popped my hood open they noticed both of my battery connectors had been loosely attached to the pos/neg terminals. After testing the battery they re-tightened the connectors and all has been fine since. So scary!
Funny I encountered a similar experience recently. I visited a high school old friend in Austin a month ago. He asked me to look at her wife’s 2016 Acura MDX as the car wouldn’t start. The Interstate battery from Costco was about 3+ years old and it couldn’t get charged fully by a battery charger. And he couldn’t get jump-started successfully with the help by a neighbor. I did manage to jump-start the car and suggested to drive straight to a closest WalMart which is still 30+ minutes away (Costco is even farther away and the warranty left covers not much; of course I hate to lift the heavy battery during the battery replacement at Costco’s parking lot ;)) to get a new battery based on the age of the battery. The young tech at the WarMart found the loose terminals on both battery posts just like yours, and suggested to charge the battery first because a new battery may not be needed. But it’d take at least another 30 minutes and we just decided to get a new battery without wasting time to check.

Of course we knew who didn’t tighten up both terminals properly to the battery posts, his nice young neighbor who helped to install the Costco Interstate battery for him 3+ years ago.

Last edited:
Who was the last person to do any work on your car concerning the battery?
That's a great question. All of my most recent maintenance... swapping to 3-season rubber, new control arms, CV axles, wheel bearings... none of that should require pulling the battery. I'm going to chalk it up to them working themselves loose over our pothole-covered roads... I doubt anyone would take responsibility.

1. A much-needed wash. Pollen's been a bit active, this past couple of weeks.

2. Oil top-up, with a bit less than half a quart. For some reason, this past few thousand miles it has burned a little more than usual (which is nearly none). Hm.

To Do:

A. Interior cleaning -- Time to get out the Lexol and 303 Protectant for an interior cleaning. Steering wheel, leathers, other surfaces. Will break out the little picks and brushes to get into some crevices I've been neglecting.

Yes, I ran the code myself… it was the front driver side speed sensor…

“A P0500 code is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) titled “Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Malfunction.” This code is triggered when the vehicle's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Engine Control Module (ECM) detects inaccurate speed readings or lack of a signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS).”
Hi Jef
I am somewhat having the same issue and the codes that showed up were U0121 and P0500. Was it difficult to change out the sensor? And how were you able to to see it? Did you have to take the wheel off? Glad you were able to fix your problem!
Thanks!

Back