What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Well...on the way to the body shop today, it happened.

Zoom, zoom, BOOM. Was accelerating from a stop light and transmission went boom, car lost all power. Sitting in a parking lot waiting for the AAA tow truck to tow my ass somewhere.

These lights are on. Most reliable car I've ever owned till the tranny went out I guess. I don't know for sure it's the tranny but certainly has all the hallmarks.

Really sorry to hear that.

Did it actually make a loud noise?

102 in Denver today?

Fingers crossed it's something easy, not the tranny.

Do you have Forscan or OBD Link/Fusion? You could pull codes that would include AT if present.

Isn't there an AT fault light?

Well...on the way to the body shop today, it happened.

Zoom, zoom, BOOM. Was accelerating from a stop light and transmission went boom, car lost all power. Sitting in a parking lot waiting for the AAA tow truck to tow my ass somewhere.

These lights are on. Most reliable car I've ever owned till the tranny went out I guess. I don't know for sure it's the tranny but certainly has all the hallmarks.

d7b0f0d9532972c1ba3d7332cb6c2a9a.jpg
How do you know it*s transmission problem? Is the car not moving at all in *D*?

This one has probably been discussed but this TSB doesn't give any years or models but comes up when I searched for '14 TSBs and was issued 1/30/19

3019A - TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE CONCERN

DESCRIPTION
In affected vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions, electrical noise may be detected while driving in *D* range (including *Manual* mode). Due to inappropriate control logic of the software in the Transmission Control Module (TCM), this signal noise may cause the vehicle to unexpectedly downshift, causing an abrupt deceleration of the drive wheels.
The sudden unexpected downshift while driving may negatively affect the stability of the vehicle, increasing the risk of losing vehicle control, potentially resulting in a crash. No crashes or injuries related to the subject condition have been reported to date.
This recall is in Not Launched Status, however vehicles can be repaired. Please make sure if a vehicle arrives at your dealership that the repair is completed.

I don't know for sure. I had it towed to a Mazda dealer up the street that could get me setup with a loaner while they looked at it.

I'm starting to think it might be something else. I turned the car off and then it wouldn't start again. Gauges every few seconds kept jumping to full then back down.

Had to jump it. Jumped it, tried driving again. A second after going into D and accelerating, heard another boom and it went limp again.

I honestly don't know, but I wasn't anywhere by home, didn't have any scan stuff available. This is out of my league. I thought tranny, but the other stuff is very weird.

EDIT: Thanks guys. I'm more than a little upset at the moment. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Really sorry to hear that.

Did it actually make a loud noise?

102 in Denver today?

Fingers crossed it's something easy, not the tranny.
It made a very loud boom coming from the bottom of the car. Did the noise again when I tried in a parking lot.

It made a very loud boom coming from the bottom of the car. Did the noise again when I tried in a parking lot.
If the car is drivable even in limp mode, it should be something else other than transmission, especially you heard a loud boom.

Boom as in backfire??? That might be a good sign. Don't think the tranny would make that kind of noise, but exhaust/cat sure could. Stay positive.

Hmm...sounded like a boom from the bottom of car, as opposed to the rear. But oddities that are not at all transmission related started happening while I was waiting for a tow truck. So here hoping not the transmission.

Got set up in a 2019 GT for a loaner. Nice car, but very noticeably more sluggish than my car.

A hundred and two degrees? Mile high? Boom?

Vapor lock comes to mind as a possibility.

Hmm...sounded like a boom from the bottom of car, as opposed to the rear. But oddities that are not at all transmission related started happening while I was waiting for a tow truck. So here hoping not the transmission.

Got set up in a 2019 GT for a loaner. Nice car, but very noticeably more sluggish than my car.

Welcome to the club

What's that?

When a liquid gets hot and some vaporizes in the line and stops the gas from flowing. It used to be a thing with carbureted engines, and had to due with the shape and routing of the fuel line. I have no idea if it ever happens any more. Then it could cause weird fuel delivery and a backfire and a bunch of codes. Maybe. I dunno.

I'm just grasping at straws, hoping your car's not real sick.

Sorry to hear what happened to you, CD.
It can't be a transmission mount(or driveshaft) got loose(broken), and maybe ripped the trans wire harness?

Sorry to hear what happened to you, CD.
It can't be a transmission mount(or driveshaft) got loose(broken), and maybe ripped the trans wire harness?
No idea. That's beyond my skill and available time at the moment to try to diagnose myself.

Looks like Kedis had the right idea. Looks like tranny is fine and fault is in the control module according to the shop. They are running some more tests.

Back