Ignition Coil Quality Question

pcb

The Diagram Dude
:
2002 MP5
I'm going to order new coil packs from Rock Auto but was wondering about quality.
I usually order the cheaper or "hearted" items but was wondering whether or not to cheap out on such an important item. They range from $32.70 to $73.60. Would I be better off two sets of the cheap ones for less than the price of one set of expensive ones ?

Beck-Arnley and Delphi are OE manufactuers. Standard and Airtex are not OE manufacturers, strickly aftermarket. Never heard of Karlyn. I don't believe Beck or Delphi are the actual OE supplier. The Delphi isn't worth it, after all, Delphi invented Optispark....Nothing really wrong with the Standard or the Airtex, but for the money the Beck is probably of the higher quality. T series Standards are ok, but don't expect them to perform or last as long as the OE coils.

I guess the Beck-Arnley are worth the extra $28 for the set. I don't want to be cheap on this particular part. Coils are $59 here at Canadian tire and $184 each at the dealership.

I wouldn't call em wrong. New coils are 10 X better than than the old ones I've got. I'll buy em off ya if ya split the shipping cost with me. (I'm only a couple of hundred miles away from you with no border between us)

sorry just installed them ,they looked like good quality,I know you cant really tell by looks though

Last edited:
the quality difference is going to show itself in miles/km's, thats all...so i wouldn't worry about it...I have some Beck/Arnley coils from partsgeek.com...which is not OE, but a reputable aftermarket supplier...they look identical, with a nice thick base plate and insulation seals...everything has been fine since i installed them months ago...

They may not last 150,000 miles like the OE parts did, but 100,000 instead...oh well, there will be plenty more to replace before that to even get to that mileage...Just saying, cheaper parts aren't going to fail the minute you install them...its just they won't last quite as long...

Here's what he sent me I think it went private or sumthin,... I got lost in the inter-web thread.

---Quote (Originally by pcb)---
---Quote (Originally by Pmazda5)---
I just bought a diagnostic tool ,when I get home from work I'll see what I get maybe in morn or (tnight in the blizzard) if I'm energetic enough.I installed the coils but car idles rough ,seems to run better @ higher speed more pep than the old coils .I drove it with light flashing on dash it was reallt sluggish took some time to piuck up speed now it picks up a lot better.Just at idle feels like its struggling.Maybe cat .So cant sell the coils to you sorry.costs 102.00 includ ship took about week from california Thanks Alex
---End Quote---
I was only half serious about the coils. I'm sure my car can wait until spring.

I hope u didn't fry that cat. If it's missing it dumps raw fuel on that precat,... say by by,.. but you can always gut it and do the non- fouler trick. Can u check the codes before u drive home,... if U'v got #300, 301, 302, 303, or 304 that is cylinder misfire (unburnt fuel). I'm guessing again here but but if u disconnect yor neg Bat terminal for about ten minutes (turn on yor interior light to drain residual power),.. it resets your ECU,.. Then it might accommodate the new coils better and relearn itself. You might have that nasty EGR problem as well but that doesn't give a miss fire as readily (but i think its still possible) Try to find out before U leave work if u can Pre cats are about $200 (aftermarkets are now availeable)
---End Quote---
The car is @ home I'm using my other car for work,didn't want to drive it any more untill i know wahts happening.the exhaust was smelling gassy though with the old coils but now with new coils I'm not sure.If the pre cat is toast I'll just cry

Feel free to correct me or elaborate,... his light went all blinky.

Ooops sorry man,.. I'd cry too if my girl got sick then broke my heart.

Just throw some more money at her and she'll be happy again.

Major blizzard here, I'm lovin it,... so is my polar bear,... he likes snow.

Last edited:
i bought duralast ones for 1 reason, so i could have spares (have newer, replaced in 2011 i believe, mazda dealer bought ones on it) and have a warranty so i can just go in and get one if i have a problem and i need one right then but i dont have the money to spare. but duralast coils suck for this car so i just bought them as cheap temporary back ups.

Back