2014 Mazda6 Diesel Discussion

Click the "Clean Diesel" link in the center bottom of this webpage. They stress no exhaust treatment. I'd appreciate any info you can provide regarding this engine, too. I love compression ignition, gassers just don't do it for me, but our (U.S.) government isn't at all diesel friendly. Do you think Canada will get this engine before the U.S.?

That video does specify that Mazda's new diesel does not need NOX urea after treatment. That is the tank of what some call ad-blue systems (must be a blue liquid) where they ad the liquid in the exhaust for better emissions. The DPF is to remove the soot and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) all clean burning diesels on the market in North America have a DPF. No going around this filter. I have heard that Mazda's have less filters then comparable diesels as the engine burns cleaner.

http://www.penneymazda.com/en/info/news/index,view.spy?cmd=view&artid=133936&pg=2

Has anybody seen performance numbers on the 2.2 diesel. I read a review from the UK and it said the 0-62 mph was around 8 seconds. That doesn't make it much different than the 2.5L. I've seen other comments that suggested that the diesel would be more like a 6 cylinder but if the UK review is accurate, that doesn't seem to be the case. It is "quicker" and better on gas but is that enough to justify the extra (expected) cost?

UK has two different versions of the diesel, one with ~150hp and one with ~175hp. We are getting the more powerful version.

This 0-60 seems to be close to 7sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atZilMDkrxw

That video does specify that Mazda's new diesel does not need NOX urea after treatment. That is the tank of what some call ad-blue systems (must be a blue liquid) where they ad the liquid in the exhaust for better emissions. The DPF is to remove the soot and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) all clean burning diesels on the market in North America have a DPF. No going around this filter. I have heard that Mazda's have less filters then comparable diesels as the engine burns cleaner.

Thanks for pointing that out. It's been my impression, based on late model pickups and VW products, that the urea injection and DPF (afterburner system) are an either/or deal. In the U.S. some VW models have urea injection, others DPF systems. Both are a PITA from what I can gather and that's why my old Jetta is shooting for 300K+ miles.

On the Mazda UK site, it's a 1,980 premium for the high output diesel (25,495 MSRP) and 1,480 for the low output diesel (24,995 MSRP) over the 2.0L gas motor on the top-trim Mazda 6 (23,515) MSRP, all manual transmission variants. However, the 2.5L gasoline engine we're getting here for the base model isn't mentioned whatsoever on the UK site, so I don't believe it's going to be offered there, so the comparison could be starting at a relatively lower price point.

I wasn't able to see prices for the 2014 6 on the Mazda Germany or Mazda France sites because my computer at work has outdated flash that I can't update, and I don't know enough of any other language to muddle through the other EU or Japanese home market websites.

On the Mazda Austraila site, looking at mid-level trim it's a Aus$2,937 premium for the Diesel Touring (Aus$44,485) over the Petrol Touring (Aus$41,548), price premium is about equivalent on the other trim levels, about a 6.6% bump in price

If the proportional increase to price is the same as in Australia, we'd be looking at a $1620 option compared to the 6 Touring's base price of $24,495. Of course we all know that prices vary greatly between different markets to begin with, and none of us know exactly what Mazda's plans are for how to amortize the costs of bringing this engine to our market... but if I were a gambling man, I'd bet on it being a $1800-2000 premium over the equivalent 2.5L gas engine on either Touring or Grand Touring trims.

I was on Mazdas France site, and while I know a little French, the site was confusing. All I could tell is that the Mazda6 hadn't been updated there (still the previous generation) and was offered in both gas and diesel engines. The gas was offered with both the manual and automatic, while the diesel was manual only.

That would be a big downer if the diesel was auto only. I would still consider it, but the Fusion/Maxima/Gas 6 would get some more consideration as well. All I want is diesel/ manual/ leather/soul red....everything else isn't a huge deal and can live without.

I agree that the diesel should come with a manual transmission. The last time I purchased a car it was down to the Mazda6 or the Passat. I couldn't get a manual in the Mazda6 6 cylinder, felt the 4 cylinder was underpowered and ended up choosing a 1.8T Passat with a manual transmission. I'm back to looking for an upscale car with an MT and I'm hoping the Mazda6 with TDI and a MT will be the one, being that it should be the livelier of the 2 engines.

If it isn't available, it may be back to VW (Jetta GLI).

Last edited:
It would be a bad move not to offer the diesel/manual combination. Granted the overall manual take rate in the US has been under 5% most years since the turn to the millenium, but there's too much overlap between drivers interested in three pedals and drivers disinterested in spark plugs to ignore.

When I interrogated the saleswoman at my local Mazda/VW/etc dealership a few months ago, she didn't know overall figures but estimated that over half the TDI's she personally sold were manuals. Then again, as a native Brit she's probably better at selling that combo than most American salespeople... but the relative rate is too high to ignore for a firm attempting to break into a new market segment.

Last edited:
New member here, but I've been looking semi-seriously at a '14 Mazda6 for a while. I drove one today, a sport 6-speed. I made it pretty clear to the salesman that I was interested in a diesel, preferably with a manual transmission. He told me it would probably a couple years before they were available in the US, and even longer for a manual. His manager told me the same thing, and claimed to have just consulted with the regional Mazda representative (or some such title, I never actually saw / met this woman). This was disappointing, but I'm still not convinced they weren't just saying it to sell me what they had on the lot. All the rumors on the internet (which are always right, of course) seem to indicate that it would be available this year. Thoughts? Has anyone heard anything lately?

The dieselphile salesperson I spoke to at my local dealership most recently said the official word was still second half of this year, and she was guessing most likely October-November before they showed up here (smaller metro area in Ohio). But that was just her best guesstimate.

Everything I've read points to later this year, just working out some bugs with our lower quality diesel here.

The build date for the skyactiv diesel is supposed to be in May from both dealers I have talked to. They said it wouldn't be at dealerships till June or July. Take that for what its worth, but I will be patiently waiting to test drive one in a six speed manual!

Guys, check out the amount of torque you can get with the 2.2 Skyactiv-D with this piggyback ECU tuning chip.

20130408105011pm.png

There are two version of diesel 2.2 in UK 140hp and 170hp. I hope they only tested the low output one. Diesel should have V6 performance, or the only advantage over the 2.5L is the extra range on a tank and it won't sell well in US.

I pity the tires if those chips can actually deliver the performance they claim. Boost to 220hp and 400ft-lb in a Mazda6? ::evil grin::

Aside from fuel economy differences, the diesel will "feel" faster due to the extra torque. That's what will matter to consumers. Most wont know its not faster, but it will feel like it is to them. Gobs of torque is rediculously addicting, and should make for some better stats as far as passing at certain speeds.

Aside from fuel economy differences, the diesel will "feel" faster due to the extra torque. That's what will matter to consumers. Most wont know its not faster, but it will feel like it is to them. Gobs of torque is rediculously addicting, and should make for some better stats as far as passing at certain speeds.

Agreed. I know that my 335d is not faster than a 335i, but it sure feels much faster.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

TheCarLounge said:
Diesel: Yes, it's still coming, 100% for certain.
-No manual diesel in any trim in the initial build, period.
-No manual expected for the diesel in any trim in future builds at this time.
-Diesel will be available in Touring and Grand Touring trim, not on Sport.

i-ELOOP: Coming for job two.
-40mpg highway targeted

Hybrid: No official word yet, but he did emphasize the relationship w/ Toyota

Higher-performance offerings: Possible
-Would not comment one way or the other on whether there would be a Mazdaspeed6 again. Wouldn't even respond to speculation that it could be done.
-V6 is out. The 3.7L engine will not survive beyond this model cycle of the CX-9.
-The Diesel is not envisioned as filling the role of high-output engine for the new 6.
-However, it appears Mazda is not fundamentally opposed to turbocharging their SKY-G engines: "You can turbocharge a diesel engine; you can turbocharge a gas engine."

Wagon: No.

Note that this info is only good for the US.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...4-Mazda6-updates-and-tidbits.&highlight=mazda

Back