2013 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD on H&R lowering springs

Sandrock

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
Your welcome :)
20121227_080443_zpsca8ce482.jpg

20121227_080437_zpsacfab924.jpg

Looks good, what is the drop? What were your alignment specs for these springs? How is the hadling, and have you noticed any MPG increase? BTW what size/brand/model are those rims?

I just put them on last night. I havent got the alignment done yet. Drop suppose to be 1.5 front and 1.75 rear. Wheels are custom powder coated buddy club type 2 + 19x8.5+35 all the way around.

Last edited:
Its stance reminds me of the Mini Countryman, not bad.

That said, I pity your shocks for removing over an 1.5" of travel. :(

Amazing. Finally someone have the balls to slap on the H&R's. Kudos to you. Did you get them from CorkSport?

How was the install?

Pretty simple. Took like 2 1/2 hours including a advance auto run because I online ordered a oil filter(was changing oil at the same time) and they gave my Bosch D3330 instead of Bosch D3300. Its pretty simple, after taking the wheels off, 3/4 bolts on the back, pull the springs and put in new ones, 3/4 bolts on the front, pull struts, replace springs,. and slap em back in there. All pretty easy to get to and not difficult. We had a lift however.

Nice waiting for the rain break and spare time to install mine. This cx5 setup is very similar to my BMW e46, also remove the sway link bars.

Is too bad no one makes shocks yet. Waiting for koni sports.

So the ride is similar to stock? Does it feel stiffer? It would be nice if were stiffer

Pretty simple. Took like 2 1/2 hours including a advance auto run because I online ordered a oil filter(was changing oil at the same time) and they gave my Bosch D3330 instead of Bosch D3300. Its pretty simple, after taking the wheels off, 3/4 bolts on the back, pull the springs and put in new ones, 3/4 bolts on the front, pull struts, replace springs,. and slap em back in there. All pretty easy to get to and not difficult. We had a lift however.
Can you elaborate? This seems too simple. You mean there are only "3 or 4" bolts on each axle (or at each corner)? Did instructions come with the springs?

So the ride is similar to stock? Does it feel stiffer? It would be nice if were stiffer
Really?! I wish the ride were a bit more supple on city streets. That's why I'd be a little leery of lowering, although looks-wise, the CX-5 desperately needs it. Of course this is from someone who would have preferred a Mazda 3 had there been more room inside and even a modicum of rear seat legroom (as well as a better ride!)

he meant: 3-4 bolts. there is no instructions if you have done suspension upgrades before is all similar.

I haven't done it but just by looking at it and is similar to BMW's. again if you don't want to damage anything just bring it to a shop. work with caution. (I've done it on my Miata, BMW E30, E46, Audi A4...A4 was the hardest due to multilink suspension design)

rear:
remove sway bar link to lower control arm
Remove that lower bolt to main hub (17mm bolt?), you can leave the shock there, but if more room is needed you can remove that bolt (19mm).
remove spring, install spring, tighten everything back up.

front:
remove swaybar link from strut
remove those 2, 19mm (looks like) bolts holding the strut
open the hood, remove those 3 top bolts holding the strut
now the strut with springs should slide off the lower control arm
now you need to compress the springs (make sure is not facing your loved ones or your cars just in case!) , then loosen the top single bolt holding the spring cup, use air tool or you need a allen wrench with a socket, while holding the allen and turn the socket, (most people grind down the socket so it will have 2 flat sides to hold an open end wrench.
remove compressed spring and compress new springs then install into lower spring perch and put together.

usually the fronts will take about an hour each, rears can be done within an hour for both sides.

I'll try to take some pics when I do mine

Last edited:
Really?! I wish the ride were a bit more supple on city streets. That's why I'd be a little leery of lowering, although looks-wise, the CX-5 desperately needs it. Of course this is from someone who would have preferred a Mazda 3 had there been more room inside and even a modicum of rear seat legroom (as well as a better ride!)

yea, all my cars either have factory sport springs/setup or track application, so I'm use to firm/stiff rides. actually CX5 is pretty good stock that is why I've bought it, yes I wanted a large wagon with stick and good gas mileage and nothing like that exist except the CX5.

I think H&R have done their homework, probably have similar spring rate to the stock while dropping the height. so I don't expect it to be bouncing all over the road. this setup will be even be better with some good aftermarket shocks. so I'll do this drop and beatup the OEM stocks and by that time Koni or Bilstein will have some good stuff to match these springs!

with lowered spring it kind of looks like those infinity FX, almost an Audi Q5 like.

Attachments

• IMG_7842.JPG
    IMG_7842.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 996
Looks very nice and also it gives me an idea to what my silver cx5 could look like with the black rims. Thanks, now tint those front windows! lol

Last edited:
he meant: 3-4 bolts. there is no instructions if you have done suspension upgrades before is all similar.

I haven't done it but just by looking at it and is similar to BMW's. again if you don't want to damage anything just bring it to a shop. work with caution. (I've done it on my Miata, BMW E30, E46, Audi A4...A4 was the hardest due to multilink suspension design)

rear:
remove sway bar link to lower control arm
Remove that lower bolt to main hub (17mm bolt?), you can leave the shock there, but if more room is needed you can remove that bolt (19mm).
remove spring, install spring, tighten everything back up.

front:
remove swaybar link from strut
remove those 2, 19mm (looks like) bolts holding the strut
open the hood, remove those 3 top bolts holding the strut
now the strut with springs should slide off the lower control arm
now you need to compress the springs (make sure is not facing your loved ones or your cars just in case!) , then loosen the top single bolt holding the spring cup, use air tool or you need a allen wrench with a socket, while holding the allen and turn the socket, (most people grind down the socket so it will have 2 flat sides to hold an open end wrench.
remove compressed spring and compress new springs then install into lower spring perch and put together.

usually the fronts will take about an hour each, rears can be done within an hour for both sides.

I'll try to take some pics when I do mine

^ Correct, no real instructions,. there are 3-4 bolts at each corner to remove, not including the strut bolts at the top to drop it. I know for a fact that it is 2, 21mm(pretty sure they are 21) bolts and a 14mm on the front, then you just have to unclip the brake and sensor lines and pull it out. The ride is very similar to stock, maybe a little bit smoother since the car doesnt have as much space to bounce up and down. Besides compressing the spring(we had a real spring compressor to do it), the install is very easy and took 2 of us about 2.5 hours casually working with a store run. It is pretty simple of you have experience working on cars and have the appropriate tools.

Actually my rims are powdercoated "Lazer Rootbeer" When they are clean, and in the sun they are bronze with a tid bit of a purple sheen.

Dd you get the springs that were called "awd" springs?

Just wanted to check because i remember that that was a question a while ago...

H&R confirmed, they make one set for all Gas models and one for Diesel models, regardless of fwd or awd.

thanks for the feedback, can't wait to install mine now.

Back