2002 MP5 Reaching 100k Miles - What should I tune up/work?

Fraya713

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forums and new with cars - checked the first couple of pages for info on this topic and used the search function, but couldn't find anything relevant.

I recently bought a very used 2002 Mazda Protege5, it's about to hit 100k miles and safe to say, this car needs some work.
The exterior isn't without it's problems, but is more or less fine, there's some bubbling in the front of the hood, which I want to completely replace with this:
http://www.protegegarage.com/293-product-293.html

and back around the Protege5 emblem, which I'll have to remove and sand down.

The previous owner apparently f'd the front up pretty good, when I bought it. It has a new front bumper piece, but it looks like he installed it himself and did a bad job in installation, it's not flush with the rest of the car in some spots. I had the car inspected before I bought it so I could negotiate the price down and was able to do just that.

The front of the frame was dented up pretty good, but they say it's still safe to drive. There's rust underneath and is missing the undercarriage cover. It doesn't have the bottom fog lights, the side blinkers don't work, the license plate light is out (haven't checked if it's electrical or just a dead bulb yet) and the high beams aren't working either. On top of that the airbag light is occasionally blinking on and off, this didn't start until we had a hard rain two weeks ago, so I'm assuming it's something electrical rather than a problem with the airbags themselves. Also upon inspection, they found the transmission fluid is a brownish red, which I've read could be normal, but am going to wait to see what my mechanic thinks about that and have heard mixed things about flushing the transmission fluid. Also recently, I've noticed that the car feels like it is on it's way to stall when I'm idling, from what I've read, it could be because the EGR needs cleaning. Other than that, the engine seems to be in good working condition.

I'm thinking an easy fix to both solve the funky looking front issue, the chips/nicks in the paint and have the light/electric issues figured out at the same time is just buy a body kit and get it repainted. It'd also bring some new life into this old car:
http://www.carid.com/2002-mazda-protege-body-kits/extreme-dimensions-body-kit-300486.html

Does anyone know where I can get an undercarriage cover? I assume the wreck yard would probably be the easiest, but was wondering if there was a place that sold them?
Also, is there anything I can do to help with the rusting on the underside? Just spray rustoleum? Does anyone know of threads here for this issue?

Other than that, I've replaced the windshield wipers, air filter, tinted the windows, have an oil change scheduled for Thursday and bought new NGK Spark Iridium Spark Plugs that I've read are good.
I've scheduled time with the mechanic on Friday because it needs new brakes/rotors, front tires, and back sway bar links and to check out some of the problems I've stated above.

It's safe to say this car is a work in progress, fixer-upper. It's about to hit 100k miles and wanted to know what needs immediate attention and what should I do as a standard tune-up for a car about to hit 100k miles. I'm assuming the previous owner did little to no work on this car.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!

At 100k there's a lot that needs to be done. Timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, plugs, wires, coil packs, and to be on the safe side coolant flush and a fail safe thermostat. Mostly because a lot of people have had overheating issues here recently.

Also since you have an 02 call Mazda with your vin and see if the Vtcs butterfly valves have been fixed. They were an issue with the 02s and if they haven't been fixed just remove them. As they can come out and destroy the motor

That's awesome feedback from both of you! I really appreciate the help!

More to add to the laundry list.. :)
Do you happen to have links or reference I could use for most all of that?
This is my first owned car and am just learning as I read, grazi!

good luck with the repairs! if maintained properly, these cars can go for a long time. i just passed 202k miles on mine (drive2)

haha thanks guys!
I'll just make this thread my running diary of all the maintenance I've done to it.

Took it in for a Oil change today, they didn't offer the Mobil1 Full Synthetic Blend 5W-30, like was recommended in the tune-up guide, so I just told them to put a quality high-mileage oil in it, think they ended up putting Pennzoil 10W-30 in it, they never did show me, but I saw him empty about 5 gold containers into my car. They also put in a new oil filter, think they used one of the Mighty oil filters, will have to check though. Would prefer to get K&N High Performance Oil Filter eventually, but apparently Meineke doesn't have those ;)

They swapped the front and back tires and that seems to have corrected the clicking sound/feel from the front, I was experiencing when I would brake.

They should have checked tire pressure and would have assumed so if they rotated my tires and topped off my fluid levels too
Also, dropped in some STP Super Octane Booster, I'm pretty sure it's a crappy fuel additive, but it's the best Speedway had at the time. Will have to get better stuff when my next oil change comes around. Anyone recommend anything good?

Dropped the car off at my mechanic today, he'll replace my spark plugs with NGK Iridium Spark plugs and then tell me everything else he recommends I do tomorrow.. will update as soon as I get my car back :)

I want to eventually buy these:
http://www.protegegarage.com/1042-product-1042.html
But need to save up for em.. gonna get them in blue :D

And maybe get these if they have them in blue also:
http://www.protegegarage.com/597-product-597.html

Last edited:
The big brake kit is completely un necessary stock brakes work great with quality pads. Throw in some drilled and slotted rotors and itl look the same ( smaller obviously) and will save you 1200 bucks. If you really want to upgrade just do an msp or Mazda 6 conversion itl still be half that price and you can get some blue red or whatever caliper paint you want. But if you really want to launch people out your windshield get them.

As for the wires ngk is also blue and $40.

Not saying don't get those just giving cheaper alternatives. Also idk of its been mentions but if you have a manual get a gear oil change. If you have an auto and you know for a fact it was changed Atleast once before get a trans flush. If its never been done just have the filter replaced and re use old fluid

ah hell yea! I'll check the oil once I get it back.
I'm trying to coordinate the inside colors with Blue/Black or Blue/Chrome, depending. Should look pretty sick with the Midnight Blue Mica exterior and Carbon Fiber I plan on adding to it :D
I appreciate the tips guys! Keep em coming! I would have never of known about this stuff! :)

So got the car back, checked oil - looks good.

They went ahead and replaced my old spark plugs with NGK Iridium Plugs
They Decarbonized the Throttle Bottle per general routine maintenance
And gave me a new license plate light lol
And ran though my laundry list of items to see what they recommended needed replacement.

They mentioned the car may have a small exhaust leak, that bothered me a little bit, but the mechanic didn't seem too concerned. Told me to wait until you actually smell something when I drive, but I will probably just nip this one in the bud early..

He said brakes and tires looked fine and have a decent amount of miles before I need to replace them. That should give me time to save up and either do the Mazda 6 brake mod or buy those brakes above, still deciding.

Is there any better Joint Links for this car? I had to replace the join links on my previous 2003 protege5 that I only had for 6 months before it got t-boned and it seems like it's a popular repair for this car... how long are they normally supposed to last?!

He wanted to wait until I actually hit the 100k mark before replacing the timing belt, not sure why, but I assume so it wouldn't crap out on me earlier afterwards or just didn't think it was time for it yet..

Nothing wrong with the oxygen sensors
Engine mounts and bolts seemed fine
U-Joints seemed fine

I don't think they had the equipment to flush the transmission fluid, so I had Jiffy Lube just replace the it. He did say that the coolant looked fine and probably didn't need flushed.

but anyhow, here's some pics so far, hopefully this will end up looking like a completely new vehicle once I'm done with it :D
2012-09-15_11-55-34_614.jpg

2012-09-15_11-56-02_534.jpg

Engine
2012-09-15_11-53-51_717.jpg

2012-09-15_11-54-04_857.jpg

Last edited:
Park the car between 2 cars or in a parking garage that echos. Have someone rev the car a little bit with your foot covering the exhaust tip. If its leaking you will hear it.

The timing belt doesn't have to be done at 100 k I did mine at 155k and it looked fine. Others have had theirs break at 110k

Timing belt maint due at 106K miles. Mine looked fine...

Ensure they lubed the sliding pins on the rear calipers when they inpsected pads. Be diligent about this.

Do you have a sunroof? (can't quite tell) if so - use Silcone spray lube for the tracks.

Check the air pressure in the spare tire! Is all the jack kit there?

Clean or replace the PCV.

Thanks for the tips all! The transmission seems to be doing ok, but the idle is getting rougher and rougher when I drive and it's kind of concerning me.. super annoying to when stopped at lights..

Thanks for the tips all! The transmission seems to be doing ok, but the idle is getting rougher and rougher when I drive and it's kind of concerning me.. super annoying to when stopped at lights..

EGR valve...common p5 issue. or a hole in the air hose. ive experienced both lol

Latest posts

Back