Interior noises - Touring FWD

Kelme

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD
So Im already looking to take the car to dealership this Saturday but I wanted to know if somebody else had this problem. There are two rattle sounds coming from inside the car. The first one is coming from the dashboard on the passenger side, every time I go over a bump or any bad piece of road it sounds like something is loose inside the dashboard. The second is from the rear, I cant figure out exactly what it is but sounds like a loose piece of metal hitting something every time that I go over a bump or any cracks on the road. In other words my car sounds like a 1980s pickup truck. I usually dont complain about things but is starting to get really annoying especially since I live in the Providence-South MA area and the roads around here are as bad as they could be.

I like Mazdas and this is not the first brand new Mazda that I own but this would be the first time that I go to the dealership for a possible defect. :(

Probably not related but I had an odd buzzing sound in the cabin at certain rpm's After cleaning out my glove box of all things that had hard plastic it was still there. Eventually traced it down to my sunglasses in the overhead glasses box. Felt both stupid and calmed all at once.

You wouldn't believe how common noise issues like these are in new cars. I belong to a Honda forum an there are many threads dealing with these kinds of noise issues. First of all, strip everything removable from the car (contents of glove box, storage pockets, console, etc.) and take out the spare tire, jack and all the other accessories. Then take it for a drive. If it still rattles at least you've proven it isn't any of the contents.

I had a weird clicking in my truck the other day. I emptied out the glove box and the sound went away. Turns out I had a box of automotive fuses and they were rattling around and clicking against each other. It's amazing something that minor can drive one to distraction!

Also, I had to create duct tape washers for the seat mounting bolts on my Ridgeline. It was rattling and squeaking. Honda as since issued a service bulletin, but the duct tape worked for me. Little things like this can make for an unhappy driver.

It happens, but it shouldn't.

I hope you can get the problem sorted out, it can be frustrating with a new car to have this happen.

Last edited:
May not be related, but see attached TSB...

Attachments

• Rattle noise from instrumental panel when driving on rough roads or over bumps.pdf
    219.4 KB · Views: 21,179
You wouldn't believe how common noise issues like these are in new cars. I belong to a Honda forum an there are many threads dealing with these kinds of noise issues. First of all, strip everything removable from the car (contents of glove box, storage pockets, console, etc.) and take out the spare tire, jack and all the other accessories. Then take it for a drive. If it still rattles at least you've proven it isn't any of the contents.

I had a weird clicking in my truck the other day. I emptied out the glove box and the sound went away. Turns out I had a box of automotive fuses and they were rattling around and clicking against each other. It's amazing something that minor can drive one to distraction!

Also, I had to create duct tape washers for the seat mounting bolts on my Ridgeline. It was rattling and squeaking. Honda as since issued a service bulletin, but the duct tape worked for me. Little things like this can make for an unhappy driver.

It happens, but it shouldn't.

I hope you can get the problem sorted out, it can be frustrating with a new car to have this happen.

That’s the first thing that I did, at first I thought it was my Garmin GPS that was in the glovebox with the charger and windshield mount and since the glove box is so small I thought that could be the issue. But after taking everything out the noise is still there. In fact I just came back from lunch and the noise just got worse and the road was really not that bad. Even my friend who was in the passenger seat said “Something’s wrong with you car”. As for the rear noise I guess that I could ride in the back seat while my wife drives to see where exactly the noise is coming from. At the beginning I thought it was the seats but I’m not 100% sure.

Thanks for that, I believe my CX5 was build before the creak noise fix was implemented. That’s the type of things that I like to have when I go to the dealership in case they come out with “there’s nothing wrong with the car”. (toetap)

Wow! How did you get this?

This is what I've been experiencing for past couple of days. Must say that the 2nd procedure - to widen the gap between body panels worries me.
I'll try tightening the bolts myself and see if this helps.

Thanks for the TSB.

Probably not related but I had an odd buzzing sound in the cabin at certain rpm's After cleaning out my glove box of all things that had hard plastic it was still there. Eventually traced it down to my sunglasses in the overhead glasses box. Felt both stupid and calmed all at once.

Same thing here, my wife left her sunglasses in the overhead box and I had no idea they were there (bang). I found about that one a couple of days ago so no more noise coming from the front but the rear one was still there.

Took the car to the dealership this morning and they found the noise is coming from the rear seat area. Apparently the problem was the rear seat latches that lock the seats in place. They adjusted the latches and told me the noise was almost all gone but when I was driving back to work the noise was still there, almost no real change.

Did a search on google and found out people complaining about the same thing in Audi, BMW, Toyota, VW, Honda and Nissan forums. There are a bunch of diy options to fix it but I still dont know what Im going to do.

Glad I came across this! I am experiencing the rattle noise on the passenger side of the vehicle. It sounds like it is coming from somewhere in the dash. Seems like it should be a relatively easy fix. I have printed off the tsb and will bring it into the dealership when I get my first oil and liter change.

Katmar, thank you very much for posting that. I printed this out, followed the instructions, and now the slapping rattle I had is gone. The tech at the dealership couldn't fix this after having the car all day. This is a huge relief for me because it was so annoying for so long. I found that the dealer had already been inside the cover at the base of the windshield because the screws were somewhat stripped. It appeared they tightened 5 of the 6 bolts and I tightened the last one they seemed to miss and it worked. The loose one I could remove with my hand and some pressure.

Katmar, thank you very much for posting that. I printed this out, followed the instructions, and now the slapping rattle I had is gone.

Neat! Glad it helped :)

I wish there was a more centralized source for CX-5 TSBs, but I haven't found any sites yet :(

I am getting the rattle from my dash as well and printed the tsb and brought it too the dealership today when I was going to get my first oil and filter change. They called me and said they did the work on the tsb and they could still hear the rattle so they were in touch with Mazda head office and now they are the process of dismantling the entire dash to find the rattle......they told me they would not be able to get the car back to me today or I could take it and book another appointment. So I told them to keep it as I have my wifes car to use and to call me when they get it fixed. Fingers crossed and it will be resolved with no damage.

So I wanted to give an update on the rattle in my CX-5. The service manager called me the other day and asked me to bring in the vehicle at my convenience. He told me he had been emailing back and forth with the skyactiv engineer and believed he had the solution to fix the rattle. I will give you the bullet points to the work order:
- road tested and verified compliant, rattle in dash area
- removed wiper cowl and re-torqued bolts as per bulletin
- Noise still present after repair, checked and cannot find any obvious faults at this time. Recommend service manager to road test, will require more time for me to diagnose

picked up vehicle, fast fwd a few days service manager calls me to bring the vehicle back in after consulting with engineer

-checked dash locating pins as required, all OK and tight. Found loose bolt on right side of dash behind the glove box, tightened and no change in noise
-checked RF engine side mount, found 2 bolts loose
-torqued all RF mount bolts to spec as required
-road tested and noise gone
-checked and TSB updated with creaking noise from A-pillar
-removed RF fender liner and adjusted RF inner fender body panels as required
-road tested and verified repair, noise gone
-found noise in steering wheel - trim on wheel needed to be reseated

Needless to say I a very pleased with the end result and the extremely thorough inspection and correction of the rattle noise. I did not even notice the steering wheel noise to be honest. This is the kind of service that will keep me very loyal to this dealership. Best service experience I have ever experienced at a dealership. The dealership was City Mazda in Halifax Nova Scotia.

Needless to say I a very pleased with the end result and the extremely thorough inspection and correction of the rattle noise. I did not even notice the steering wheel noise to be honest. This is the kind of service that will keep me very loyal to this dealership. Best service experience I have ever experienced at a dealership. The dealership was City Mazda in Halifax Nova Scotia.

Excellent! Mazda dealerships (and corporate Mazda) have been good to me too, which is why the CX-5 is my second Mazda, and we're planning to replace our other car with a Mazda in a few years.

That is awesome to hear that they did such a good job! That's almost never the case.

spoke to soon.....I have a different noise coming from the dash now.....perhaps when the tightened a few bolts in the right fendor other bolts need to be tightened. Going to make another appointment as this noise now is more frequent. Fingers crossed.....this is really killing the new car feeling.

spoke to soon.....I have a different noise coming from the dash now.....perhaps when the tightened a few bolts in the right fendor other bolts need to be tightened. Going to make another appointment as this noise now is more frequent. Fingers crossed.....this is really killing the new car feeling.
I also had a vibration coming from the dash when driving on rough roads. I brought it to the dealer and they checked the TSB and my CX-5 was built after the modification had been done...so that was ruled out. The tech figured out it was coming from the steering column...I would of never guessed the noise was coming from there rather from the drivers side dash area. Here was their notes:

-diagnosis and road tested
-verify noise
-found noise from steering column
-added noise reduction tape and re road tested...ok

I drove it yesterday after the work had been done with radio off and I went on rough roads with NO vibration noise. The dealer was very helpful and said, if I have any noise or vibration at all to please come back and they would make sure it was fixed. It may be with your CX-5 that they had to try so many things to find the solution that one of those things created another noise. Hopefully mine is all fixed and now I'm loving my CX-5 even more (2thumbs)

Last edited:
had it checked out, and they took apart the dash again and everything seemed good. Seems like the sound only happens on colder days. It was gone when the temp shot up the last few days. It is pretty insignificant and infrequent, I feel that it is acceptable. I am able to replicate the sound when I push my had on the center stack and the piano black strip very firmly......it is just the plastic itself..it is what it is.......i think the plastic in the dash will settle itself over time and it is getting less and less each day. I think it originated because the dash was taken apart it. The main thing is the original creak sound that was very persistent is gone! insert new car feeling again

Glad to hear Snowie78 the noise is getting less for you and hopefully will go away. Today, I went to visit a friend an hour away through the Catskill mountains with no vibration noise and I was pleased to see 30 MPG on my AWD touring. Going up steep hills with no problems with cruise control on. My friend loved the CX-5 so much that she test drove it and said, I want one!!!

Latest posts

Back