Should be getting a CX-5 tomorrow! New Mazda owner with a couple questions.

ca_mazda

So not too many questions just yet, but I am being told from the dealer that the FWD CX-5 Touring I requested is going to arrive tomorrow afternoon. I will be getting a loaded touring with both the moonroof/bose & tech package. I never had an interest in the technology package however the dealer must of been desperate on a sale because they are throwing the package at me for free.

Okay so some questions...
- Can anyone w/ tech package share their experience of having this option?

- What's the deal with the keyless unlocking fob that people seem to hate or be frustrated with?

- Real world MPG seems solid from what I've read but does the car really need to be "broken in" to achieve high MPG?

- Is the iPod and Nav unit really that bad?

- Oil changes - every 7k miles? This really true?

Can't wait to pick the car up, will share some photos soon!

The problem with the keyless is:
Typically cars that have keyless entry do not require you to mess with the fob (press the unlock button). You press the button on the door handle and it unlocks as long as the fob is near by.
The GT has this feature. The Touring does not.

I've driven over 2k miles on the CX-5. I've averaged 31.2 MPG since the day I've driven it off of the lot.
My first tank was 32.6 MPG.

I don't have the Nav unit. I moved away from Tom Tom a long time ago.
Have not played with the ipod feature... yet.

Oil changes.. yes with synthtic oil. It's actually the new norm.

I've been seeing mixed reviews on the Bose system you've got. I actually passed on the moon roof due to the Bose speakers. I don't like there systems for cars. I did not give the ones in the CX-5 a chance though.

Looking foward to pics!

My two pennies (cents) worth! Note that these comments are based on the UK car, although I believe they apply to North American CX-5s too.

The keyless entry is fine. You have to push the request button on the door handle before you can open a door, but it auto locks if you walk away from the vehicle. This is better than my Ford Focus which stays unlocked unless you specifically lock it by the fob or pressing a button on the door.

I've previously used TomTom, Garmin and Blaupunkt sat navs (the latter is built into my Ford Focus). The TomTom is no better or worse than any of the others, I find it works fine here in the UK.

The iPod functionality works well - you can access playlists, albums etc. You can also play music via Bluetooth. Track info is displayed for both options. I have the Bose system, and although it's a bit too bass heavy for my liking it definitely sounds better than some standard audio installs I've heard. Audio is always very subjective though.

I have the diesel, so can't comment on MPG for the petrol version - the diesel (175PS AWD) returns well over 50MPG and the 150PS apparently returns over 60MPG. Service intervals in the UK are 12 months or 12,500 miles for both petrol and diesel.

Does the tech package include the rear vehicle monitoring and lane departure warning ? (It's called the safety pack over here). If so, it's great.

Enjoy your new CX-5!

The ship with my Sky Blue CX-5 Touring FWD is supposed to arrive today. I bet our cars are on the same ship. My dealer said I can expect to take delivery sometime this week. Which dealership are you purchasing from?

The CX-5 comes standard with Push to Start, no need to take the key out of your pocket to start the car. The weird part is the need to take your key out anyway to unlock the doors. Usually the Push to Start with Keyless Push to Unlock come with the same add on package. Push to start will start to become standard on all new cars in the future, one of the main reasons I went with the GT model is because I wanted to push to unlock buttons on the door. I wish it was part of the Tech package on the touring model.

My CX-5 was ordered a few weeks ago, have to wait until october to pick it up, but i've taken the car out on more then a few test drives, glad my sales guy was nice enough to let me do that. The CX-5 was only 1 of 10 other cars I drove and it always came out on top as the clear winner. I tested out the Bose system best I could, I think it sounds fine even with the lack of a dedicated subwoofer. Could you do better with aftermarket stuff, sure, but not for much cheaper. I would never use Bose in my house but I think they do a very nice job with car audio for the price.

I'm driving a 2000 Toyota Avalon with 240000 miles on it, and it still runs like new. I use Castrol Edge full synthetic oil and change it every 10,000 miles, the oil comes out looking fine, as if it could keep going.

7.5K miles for oil change intervals, full synthetic.

I have the diesel, so can't comment on MPG for the petrol version - the diesel (175PS AWD) returns well over 50MPG and the 150PS apparently returns over 60MPG. Service intervals in the UK are 12 months or 12,500 miles for both petrol and diesel.

Before anybody freaks out...
UK MPG is different than US MPG due to the size of a Gallon difference.
50 MPG UK = 41.6 MPG US
60 MPG UK = 49.9 MPG US

Very impressive BTW

Take that Prius!

Okay so some questions...
- Can anyone w/ tech package share their experience of having this option?
If it's the UK 'Safety Pack' (Rear Vehicle Monitoring / Lane Departure Warning etc) then it's great!

- What's the deal with the keyless unlocking fob that people seem to hate or be frustrated with?
The guy who took me for my test drive a few months back had trouble with the fob not being picked up and so not unlocking but i have had ZERO trouble with it so far! One warning is that the auto-lock when walking away is great but i didn't trust it at first so always pressed the button... i'm glad i did as i was playing with settings on a long drive home and discovered the auto-lock wasn't actually turned on!

- Real world MPG seems solid from what I've read but does the car really need to be "broken in" to achieve high MPG?
The car's do need to be taken care of for the first 10,000 miles or so but i have been getting mid-to-high 40s (UK gallons) on 175PS AWD Diesel and expect it to go even higher as the miles stack up!

- Is the iPod and Nav unit really that bad?
The Nav and iPod stuff has been great in my opinion... make sure your Artist is the same for all songs in an album otherwise it gets split up in to Artist / Artist feat X / Artist feat Y etc etc and leads to a MASSIVE list under Artist and being unable to pick an entire album from that artist!

- Oil changes - every 7k miles? This really true?
No idea, mine will get done on it's service at 12,500 miles (UK) as i will do that WELL before a year!

Can't wait to pick the car up, will share some photos soon!

All in all it is a FANTASTIC car and i haven't regretted pruchasing it a single bit so far!

Before anybody freaks out...
UK MPG is different than US MPG due to the size of a Gallon difference.
50 MPG UK = 41.6 MPG US
60 MPG UK = 49.9 MPG US

Very impressive BTW

Take that Prius!
Doh! Sorry, forgot about the difference in measurements. This forum needs auto-convert... (whistle)

1 full day of owning the cx-5 and I am loving every minute of it.(headbang)

Still a few (or a lot) things I need to learn and get used to. Haven't had a car this "modern" ever.
Here's a shot I took earlier today.
bJjmkh.jpg

Also something that I'm noticing - I've driven 80 miles since leaving the dealer lot and my tank is still full. I haven't seen the gauge go down one bit. Is this normal? Info displays my average at 28.6 MPG.

My old V8 days are over!

1 full day of owning the cx-5 and I am loving every minute of it.(headbang)

Still a few (or a lot) things I need to learn and get used to. Haven't had a car this "modern" ever.

Also something that I'm noticing - I've driven 80 miles since leaving the dealer lot and my tank is still full. I haven't seen the gauge go down one bit. Is this normal? Info displays my average at 28.6 MPG.

My old V8 days are over!

Great looking CX5 - I would have gone with white but was talked out of it. My wife wanted Red, so we chose blue (don't ask) Can I ask? When did you order your CX5? I've been waiting two months now (well tomorrow) and they keep saying 'next week, next week' but next week never arrives (sad1)

1 full day of owning the cx-5 and I am loving every minute of it.

I noticed that your new CX5 has a frame/bracket for license plate attached to the front. Did it come from Mazda or did the dealer install it? There was no front license plate frame/bracket on my CX5 delivered in March in Texas. Did anyone else taking deliveries recently get the front license frame/bracket?

I noticed that your new CX5 has a frame/bracket for license plate attached to the front. Did it come from Mazda or did the dealer install it? There was no front license plate frame/bracket on my CX5 delivered in March in Texas. Did anyone else taking deliveries recently get the front license frame/bracket?

Just for your info, when i got my truck i had a extra one in my trunk. From what i read here it's a Canadian only thing.

I could be wrong.

Great looking CX5 - I would have gone with white but was talked out of it. My wife wanted Red, so we chose blue (don't ask) Can I ask? When did you order your CX5? I've been waiting two months now (well tomorrow) and they keep saying 'next week, next week' but next week never arrives (sad1)

Back in March it took 7 week's to get mine.

It was a dealer trade. Went in last Saturday and asked about a white touring model, sales guy found one about 50 miles away and I just had to wait 2 days for it to arrive.
I really lucked out because the dealer I went to had just received about 5 or 6 CX-5's the same day I went, so they had models to trade.

One dealer told me they could've placed a request for the same car but they would not have been able to guarantee an arrival date. However this specific dealer seems to be extremely short handed with CX-5s.

Front License Plate Unlike some other states, California law requires that all cars have a front license plate. Not having this front plate will get you a traffic ticket. This is true even if your car was made to not hold a front license plate. Purchase an adaptor kit and screw on a front license plate if your car wasn't made to hold a front license

Assuming dealer does this - I've gotten a fix it ticket before for not having a front plate on an older car.
Sucks

Today its been 2 months to the day since I put a deposit down. At that time they told me 2-3 weeks maybe 4. I'm going over to the dealer at noon today and asking them to rattle some cages over at Mazda Canada. I know it will arrive when it arrives, but I'd really like a better estimate than 'next week, next week, won't be long now" I don't believe that anymore. I sure hope I get it before September at least.

Back