If I move

I'm 27 ...might have to move to NYC...just on average...how much is car insurance..providing that my record is clean..decent credit..etc..just basic coverage..about how much?...I'll call some companies but I just wanna get an idea from you guys..

I would say $1200-2K . I pay $1200 now thru Geico. but thats with $300/300K liability. and $1k deductibles.

WOW. I pay $280 every 6 months (560/year) with $100 deductible through state farm. 26 M clean record. Chicagoland.

Edit: My 2010 mazda3 gt was 480/6 months for comparisons. They rate the mazda cx5 as a really low risk and safe car. Mr Gieco above, you should switch plans, your obviously not saving 15% or more.

Last edited:
WOW. I pay $280 every 6 months (560/year) with $100 deductible through state farm. 26 M clean record. Chicagoland.

What are your liability limits? The insurance quote is meaningless without that information, it's a big factor. See JTNY's quote above.

What are your liability limits? The insurance quote is meaningless without that information, it's a big factor. See JTNY's quote above.

screenshot008fm.jpg

That's a complete quote ^, thanks and very useful for those living in Chicago. For those with significant assets, a $500K limit (versus $300K max) sb considered.

Last edited:
I definitely don't pay near that much in NYC but JT also has more liability than me. He's also clearly a worse driver. (lol) Big factors in NYC (as I imagine in other urban centers) I've found are:
Your liability limits
Your deductible
If you keep it in a garage or other location that is secured vs on the street
Your location within NYC

You can likely work the premium down depending on what you're willing to give/take and given that you say you just want basic coverage. Also note that to most people, "NYC" is pretty specific but you will soon learn that "NYC" is also a pretty broad term for those of us actually in NYC. The bronx will be much different than manhattan vs staten island, for example. I'm in Manhattan which I'm told is less than other boroughs, but again I don't know for sure.

Finally, if you don't think you'll drive it on a daily basis (i.e. just weekend use or non-daily commuting) garage it outside the city for a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the insurance. I'm not an insurance expert on NYC so take this FWIW, but try adjusting some variables and see what you can come up with that you're happy with.

Last edited:
I usually pay close to $2k in Queens with Geico. Maybe it's because I'm a new driver (under 1 year) and less than 25 years of age. I also get limited liability (I think only 10k/30k) with no deductibles (because it was a used 1997 car). I'm a very careful and defensive driver; I doubt I would cause $100k worth of damages. I heard Brooklyn has the highest insurance cost out of the 5 boroughs and Manhattan should be the lowest.

Ok I just checked. We pay $1k/year for $1K deductible and 100/300 liability. In manhattan. CX-5 is garaged with 24 hour security. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hope that was a joke... I have $300K coverage b/c I have a umbrella policy with GEICO which mandates you to max out your general liability amount.

I definitely don't pay near that much in NYC but JT also has more liability than me. He's also clearly a worse driver. (lol)

I usually pay close to $2k in Queens with Geico. Maybe it's because I'm a new driver (under 1 year) and less than 25 years of age. I also get limited liability (I think only 10k/30k) with no deductibles (because it was a used 1997 car). I'm a very careful and defensive driver; I doubt I would cause $100k worth of damages. I heard Brooklyn has the highest insurance cost out of the 5 boroughs and Manhattan should be the lowest.

Back when I was in driving school my instructor told me why they give us 1 million in damage (well that's how it is in Canada anyway).

Say you're driving and you cut a citern truck full of gas, he try to avoid you but loses control and crash into a Lamborghini dealer and blows up the whole thing.

You never know, it could happend :)

Hope that was a joke... I have $300K coverage b/c I have a umbrella policy with GEICO which mandates you to max out your general liability amount.

yes it was a joke! Did you see the huge lol smiley and reason for editing? :)

We have umbrella too but I guess we didn't have to max out liability. We have Allstate.

Sorry about that. I figured you'd get a laugh out of it right away. Now have a free pass to get me back. :)

Back