transmission leak at CV axle. I need HELP.

:
2002 Protege5 NA
I have an 02 Maxda protege that I cannot get the CV axle to go back into the tranny. It is a manual and the leak is on the drivers side. Are there any tricks to getting the axle back in. I can't drive the car because the leak is bad.

Take the axle back out and check for burrs between the splines if it were misaligned when installed it could have created a burr that will not allow it to seat proper. Take a triangular file and clean the metal between the splines and more than likely problem solved.

Thanks, I will try that tonight. I'm stopping by the dealership to buy a new seal on the way on the way. I banged on the axle pretty good trying to assemble so hopefully it isn't damaged. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

That compression ring is a mother sometimes. It will eventually go in. It took me three tries to get the axle to seat properly. After the splines aligned, I grabbed the axle and slammed it in to get that compression ring to compress and have the axle go in all the way. It can get tedious at times. Make sure to oil the seal if you are replacing it with a new one or even replacing the axle.

Success!! I got a new seal, oiled her up and it slid right in. The old seal had gotten damaged and was leaking like a mofo. After one day I was down 2 quarts of gear oil. Luckily I only drove like 40 miles before I noticed the leak. Is my transmission still ok? It shifts fine and isn't making any noise.

You should be ok. If you start hearing abmormal noises, it not wanting to go into gear or popping out of gear, that's when you should worry. Glad you got the axle in. Like above, took me three tries before the comression ring finally desided to let the axle in.

Back