Remote window/moonroof (not) opening from Keyfob

:
Mazda CX9
Hi guys (and Gals),

I just picked up a "new" 2010 CX-9 Touring. So far, so good! We just got a bunch of snow so I'll be testing out the AWD later today!

Anyway I have a question regarding the auto opening feature for the windows and moonroof using the keyfob. I'm doing the procedure properly (according to the manual), but the windows won't go down! The feature will work by using the key in the keyhole method, so that's a plus.

I used this feature all the time to cool down the car after golf in my old car (Murano). I'm just wondering if something need to be set somewhere?? There's very little mention of this feature in the manual.

Thanks in advance. (usa)

Unlock, Unlock and hold it down. Unless it is an advanced keyless feature (Grand Touring) only?

Thanks for the prompt response! (hi)

I tried that procedure "Unlock, Unlock and hold it down." many times.. Still no go....

I'm not sure what you mean by advanced keyless feature? I do have the "keyless" fob (not the switchblade) where I don't need the physical key in the ignition to drive the car.

I bought the car used and based on what I read, it's a regular touring, not grand, but I could be wrong! (again!)

The power windows and the moonroof cannot be opened or closed from outside the vehicle under the following condition:
*A door or the liftgate is opened.
*The key is inserted into the ignition switch.
*The start knob is in any position except LOCK. (With advanced key)

in the middle east, our CX-9's doesnt open/close the windows remotely,
It will be intresting to see a US specification with the same defect!,
I remember that I got mad when I purchased the car and figured out that it doesnt have it, because I got used to it in my ex-VW.

The power windows and the moonroof cannot be opened or closed from outside the vehicle under the following condition:
*A door or the liftgate is opened.
*The key is inserted into the ignition switch.
*The start knob is in any position except LOCK. (With advanced key)

Check, Check, Check...

I have the same setup as you "2010 Stormy Blue CX-9 Touring AWD, Sand interior, Moonroof and Bose Audio package & Touring power liftgate package" except mine is White. Do you have the same type of key as I do?

Try the reset procedure.

This is the procedure I found and used (pasted from another thread)

"If the battery was disconnected during vehicle
maintenance, or for other reasons such as a
switch continues to be operated after the
window is fully open/close, the power windows
will not fully open and close automatically. Reinitialization
of the automatic function can be
performed using the master control switches
and the front passenger door switch. Carry out
the following procedure to resume operation:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
2. Make sure that the power window lock
switch located on the driver's door is not
depressed.
3. Press the switch and fully open the power
window.
4. Pull up the switch to fully close the power
window and continue holding the switch for
about 2 seconds after the window fully
closed.
5. Repeat Steps 3-4 for each front power
window.
6. Make sure that the power windows operate
correctly using the door switches."

Still...nothing.

I definitely appreciate all the replies! (drinks)

With this forums help (and maybe a trip to the dealer) This issue will get resolved!

Another thing.....

I just got back from my AWD test. I went to a nearby park with a large, sloped, paved parking lot.

Test 1. From a slight running start, the cx-9 easily tackled the slope. It went so well I even wondered if it was the "slippery" kind of snow (4-5 inches.) A+

Test 2. Circled back, started up the slope. Stopped at the steepest point. Car didn't move. (snow was indeed the slippery type) Disengaged the TCS, same results. Now in all fairness, had it been an emergency, I would have certainly been a lot more aggressive than I was. Keep in mind (to me) it's a brand new car. C-

Test 3. Hard braking down the slope. Aside from the ABS grind which is just an ugly sound to begin with. Car stopped pretty quickly. A+

For Test 2, the result might be different if you had a set of new tires than the OE ones (bad on snow).

Check, Check, Check...

I have the same setup as you "2010 Stormy Blue CX-9 Touring AWD, Sand interior, Moonroof and Bose Audio package & Touring power liftgate package" except mine is White. Do you have the same type of key as I do?
I have the AKE fob, as well. I tried it once when I first got the car, just to see it work. It's not something I even think about doing, usually, but on a hot day I can see where it might be useful to let the hot air out.

My MX-5 will do this too, but I really don't see the point when I'm just gonna throw the top back...:D

Hope you get this ironed out... things that don't work the way they should are really annoying, hmm?

Last edited:

I swore I had read that thread before, I guess not carefully enough though..

My window/sunroof via remote is finally working! Thanks!

The solution was that it was initiated by the *second* press of the unlock button. Everywhere else said the third (I think even my owners manual said press, press, hold)

Thanks EVERYONE FOR ALL THE ASSISTANCE!

NOT Press, Press, Press-HOLD,

Just Press, Press-Hold

Mr3Putt,

Just tried mine.

Press, Press, Press-hold (worked)
Press, Press-hold (worked, also)

This is 2008. Maybe Mazda changed the behaviors on later models.

Back