HELP !!! Oil Cooler / Spin On Oil Filter Conversion = $420 Seal !!

:
Mazda 5 GT
In trying to update my 2009 Mazda 5 cartridge oil filter to the current Spin On Filter Conversion, I inadvertently split the silicone seal/gasket between the oil cooler and the oil filter housing! This caused me to lose 4qts of oil during start up and almost lose my engine! Be careful not to do what I did!

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

The seal is only sold with the Oil Cooler = $420!

I removed the ridged (looked like 1/2 o-ring on top of silicone gasket) silicone seal from the plastic plate attached to the oil cooler and tried to make one myself out of Make a Gasket Silicone but to no avail. Carefully beaded the caulk onto the plastic plate, let it form a skin. smoothed it out leaving enough for compression with an ice cube, put together, tighten bolt on cooler to housing, let dry 36 hours,re tightened.

Started it up = oil seeped out at seal interface! Totally frustrated!! In DYI for more than 45 years, this got the best of me!

Any thoughts:
Resources to purchase just the Plastic Plate/ Silicone seal rather than the $420 Oil Cooler with seal.
How to build a silicone seal that will withstand the oil pressure.

PS: I looked on this site and they sell this gasket, which I going to try. Note item # 14-702 @ oil cooler assembly: http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=299330

Just looked at the diagram for the Mexico Oil Cooler, A lot cheaper than the USA model quote!

Pics of the offending install , Do not know how to add to topic! Any help?

Many Thanks to all Forum members, Brad

Attachments

• IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    492.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    750.9 KB · Views: 263
Man, that's a bitter pill to swallow! I've not read of anyone else having this aggravation and I barely looked at the oil cooler connection when I did my spin-on conversion. Good luck! Does Jim Ellis Mazda want $420 for the Mexican part?

My mistake, the $420 price was for a Federal/California/Canada model... called Jim Ellis, Mark at the parts dept said they can get the "Mexico" Model for $132. The only difference is in/output lines in this unit are straight. Don't know if this will work. Mark also stated alot of his customers have a problem of tearing/breaking the oil seal on the oil cooler, forgot to ask him what they did. May get the Mexico cooler if available locally,if not a remote cooler may be better...cooler oil temperatures.

Any thoughts anybody?

Is the conversion different for some cars? All I did with mine was unbolt it from the filter platform and bolt it back on. I've had to do this twice, since I broke the first one, peeling the filter off against a parking curb. :(

just buy the seal for $5 to $15 dollars and do it yourself.
you can order the oil cooler seal on ebay for $15, or just call your local mazda dealer and get it ordered for about $5 (plus $2.50 for overnight shipping if needed)
i just had to do it the other day for mine as apparently i tore the oil cooler gasket sometime during the removal/reinstallation of my spin on conversion too

part number is LF8X-14-702

the gasket is just slightly different from the original one on my 2007 ms3 (that one has little tits to hold it in the retaining ring) as where i had to line this one up and have a second person tighten the oil cooler assembly to the spin on housing from the top side of the engine bay (a 24" 3/8 drive extension helped)
but its been in place on the car for 2 weeks, ~300 miles, with no issues or oil loss after putting everything back together

Back