alternator replacement

Hey, I just had an episode with my 2006 mazda5. All my dash lights came on, lost power steering... classic case of a dying alternator. (my battery light has been on for months too, i just ignored it)

I would like to avoid going to my local dealership, they are clowns and ripped me off when i had door problems last winter

I am mechanically inclined and would like to do it myself. Where can i find some steps in terms of replacing it? Any help would be great!

Thanks,
n

shouldn't be too hard... automatic tensioner on the belt, so adjustments to be made after the fact. probably only a couple of bolts and a wiring connection. i would imagine it would be simple and straight forward once you get in there. go get a new one, and have at it.

thanks for the reply, but i was hoping for something a little more concrete... ;)

so, automatic tensioner... i would not have known that. I was reading on the mazda3 forum, since our engines are pretty similar, that it was held in place with a couple bolts top and bottom, loosen the bolts and the belt will come off. but if its automatically tensioned, i dont know what that would mean to me.

Back