Pablo's 2004 MSM Build

Hit a wall yesterday @ Mid Ohio, sideways at around 70 MPH... waiting to see if my insurance will cover it as a driving school event.

So far, estimates from MazdaSpeed Motorsports puts me close to $2k in parts alone. Still need to check the seats, have the frame checked to make sure its straight, re-do the alignment and get an estimate for paint.

If it's not covered, my options are:

1. Part it out and pay as much as I can on the loan: my part time is really bad right now, it will take a while to have it fixed, even working on it myself. I know this is basically giving up on the car I've worked so hard for, which was basically done, but I'm getting tired of having 2 jobs and having little to no time off. I've sacrificed many things to make this happen, and now its all gone to s***. Plus side: I get to have a life.

2. Tough it out and fix it myself, don't know how long that would take, and don't know how long Evan will let me keep it at his place (I can't work on it in my garage as I risk being evicted). The plus side: I get my car back.

3. Fix the tie rod so it can move, store it and instead of fixing it use that money towards an exocet. It will take longer than fixing it, but I might lean more towards this option if the frame is not straight and there's more to do than replace the panels. The weather strips are starting to fail, sometimes water leaks in, and the top is starting to show sign of wear that will lead to more leaks so that will not be cheap to fix. Plus side: I get my car back, with a stiffer chassis and 1,000 lbs lighter...

pics or it didn't happen!

I really feel for you man. I have my fingers crossed that your insurance will cover it.

Pablo, I was really sorry to see that yesterday. I wandered over but there were a bunch of people already there and I didn't want to add to any of your stress. I hope you get it worked out.

2. Tough it out and fix it myself, don't know how long that would take, and don't know how long Evan will let me keep it at his place (I can't work on it in my garage as I risk being evicted). The plus side: I get my car back.

You can keep it at my place as long as you need. Not sure I would be hip to you building an Exocet in my garage though to be honest...

But like I kept saying, it could've been much worse and at least you don't have any medical issues/bills. She still runs and and just replacing the tie rod could get her back on the road again. Let me know if you need any help, buddy. Keep your chin up. :)

(wow) Wow Pablo, I hope your insurance covers it. That must have been a huge deer you hit. I'm assuming you're all right and have no injuries?

This really makes me think seriously about purchasing track day insurance for all future track day events.

That was really hard to see and it did put a damper on the day for me. I will reach out to my contacts and see if they can lend a hand, in helping you rebuild the car...I would reach out to Josh and get his opinion in the rightside of the car........You should look into OTC and see if they would be intersted in repairing and painting the car as a project. It would not cost you anything but the parts...you have nothing to loose!

Check out other schools that may have an Auto Body Repair Program in the area

Last edited:
Good point on the vocational schools, Marlon. It may take some time, but will save you a TON of coin in the end.

Thanks guys, the support and encouragement is much appreciated. I talked to my agent and he said it should be covered as a driving school event, so I opened the claim last night. The inspector took a look at it this morning, when he left his computer showed an estimate of $6,495... and he needed to add some details, so the system considers it totalled. He did ask me for receipts of the mods, that might change things a little. I mentioned I can get the parts from mazda at a discount, so we'll see if that plays a part in it.

So far it's being processed, so it seems it might be covered.

Thanks guys, the support and encouragement is much appreciated. I talked to my agent and he said it should be covered as a driving school event, so I opened the claim last night. The inspector took a look at it this morning, when he left his computer showed an estimate of $6,495... and he needed to add some details, so the system considers it totalled. He did ask me for receipts of the mods, that might change things a little. I mentioned I can get the parts from mazda at a discount, so we'll see if that plays a part in it.

So far it's being processed, so it seems it might be covered.

Good to know.....

Pablo, once I find my insurance folder you'll see the estimate they gave me and cost actually paid. My estimate was like $5800. They paid nearly $8000 in final cost. Should have totaled mine but they didn't.

Is there any negative to letting them total it, pay you the value and just buy it back?

I'm extremely happy for you that it sounds like they are going to cover it. What insurance company do you have? I'm switching. ;)

Oh BTW, I'm fine physically. No pains or bruises.

They posted 2 estimates, 1 for $6k (after my $500 deductible) and another for $1k for the door trim panels.

I don't see a negative on getting the payoff and buying it back, might depend on how much they would ask for it. I have Farmers.

I bought back a car after it was totaled and then parted it out, but some insurance companies will not let you by your car back. Good luck with the repair.
What is the MSM valued at anyway?

KBB says $7k, adding up both estimates it's $7.6k...

Got a call from a representative, wanting details of the incident. Asking specifically if I was racing, but even though the venue is a racing facility is it technically drivers ed. Gave them Jason's number so hopefully that helps. Said she'd talk to him and check the exclusions on the policy.

Back