Automatic Transmission or Solenoid problem?

vpmazda

:
2000 Mazda, 626 LX-V6
This has been a problem I have been looking to fix but unfortunately my funding is limited so I'm attempting to avoid misdiagnosing the situation and spending more money than I have to.

Symptoms are that while shifting from first to second, and second to third the vehicle will hesitate and grab - much like improperly supplying fuel while shifting a standard. The problem seems to be more likely during colder temperatures, and is not always consistent; these shifts seem to be more smooth after the vehicle has been running longer as well. Other gears seem to be fine, this problem also occurs with OD on or off.

On extremely rare occasion, to the point of this only happening twice so in the time I've owned the vehicle, the "hesitate and grab" feeling has occurred numerous times back to back and within seconds while accelerating at extremely slow speeds. What I suspect is happening is that the vehicle is attempting to shift up, and during the process of shifting the gear drops below the shift bracket, and it attempts to shift back down.

Additional information that may be unrelated but I'm throwing it in there just in case: On occasion while letting off the gas lightly, but not at an incredibly slow rate, the vehicle will give a light -clunking- motion. I have not consistently driven many different cars, but this is the first I've had this happen to; I'm unsure if this is typical in more powerful engines, at least in contrast to previous smaller engine vehicles I've driven.

I know this post is on the long side but I wanted to be as descriptive as I could. Also as a side note, does anyone perhaps know how many transmission solenoids are in my vehicle; if this does turn out to be a solenoid problem would I only have to replace one, because they are a bit costly.

7 solenoids I believe. Is the hold/od light flashing? If so have the codes read and post back. Check fluid condition , It should be red/pink and not brown/dark. Smell it as well , If it smells burnt change it and add a trns cooler for added insurance.

7 solenoids I believe. Is the hold/od light flashing? If so have the codes read and post back. Check fluid condition , It should be red/pink and not brown/dark. Smell it as well , If it smells burnt change it and add a trns cooler for added insurance.

Thank you for your reply, I would of got back sooner myself but I had recently moved and just now got internet.

The fluid levels are fine and the color is a little darker but not to the degree that it's definite transmission problems. It's raining so I will have to smell it another day, but their are no flashing lights; the check engine light is on but I'm being told that's related to emissions. No one seems to know which solenoid controls the first two shifts either, if it's more than one I'm probably not going to bother for financial reasons.

Also if it were the transmission failing would the symptoms exist with both overdrive on and off? I know roughly how overdrive works but am unsure if a bad transmission would cause this problem identically with OD on and off.

Latest posts

Back