Direct Fuel injectors - How to check?

Ya, its just more than normal. It somthing I always notice when cleaning my car..which I just did recently and theres just more than normal.

Well no luck w/ injector cleaner - Gonna pull it apart and get to injectors. Is there a place I could find the torq. specs for all the bolts on the mani - or anywhere on vehicle for that matter?

Also, I've heard mixed opinions regarding removal of an injector. I've heard both to pull the fuel pump relay and let car die out so that there isn't excess fuel in there when you pull the fuel line, and i've also heard its bad to do that to the injectors (presumably cause of the air that would get in there? I dunno) I'm leaning towards pulling the fuel relay id rather not have gas get everywhere in the engine bay but wanted to see if anyone had suggestions regarding this? Is there a specific tool I will need to pull the injector?

Any help I greatly appreciate

i would have taken the first suggestions, and checked either the spark plug or the coil. if the fuel cleaner hasn't made a difference, start with the next least expensive / invasive "fix". check the plugs, then check the coils. if you dont have a shop manual for the car, this might be a good opportunity to find one, too.

Appreciate the suggestion but as stated prior, cylinder 1 coil and all plugs have been replaced already. Also, the dealership is also saying its the injector (Not saying their right, but I didn't give them any suggestion that it was the injector when i took it in for diagnostics..even though I was beginning to believe it was injec myself I wanted an unbiased opinion) I'm more than willing to get in there and see if its the injector by either swapping inj 1 and 2 to see if code goes from cyl 1 to 2 or by replacing or ultsonic cleaning. I just bought a dealer manual for the car but its certainly not what I expected..doesn't have torq specs for what I need nor anything regarding removing the fuel rail or injectors. If anyone knows where I can get this info, or post a link to where I can buy a manual that would have this i'd greatly appreciate it as I'm unable to find this and the one i bought doesn't seem to cover s***https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for being the most 'thorough' manual out there. Btw I paid WAY less then this link shows I think i got it for like 40 some bucks but still pisses me off

Last edited:
yeah, a "Service Highlights" manual is NOT the right one. you may need to see if your dealer can get an engine rebuild manual.

Through further searching I have found that the injector seals are known to go bad in the speed6. This could possibly be causing the misfire (possible explaination for why it was doing it while cold, then not once it warmed up? Although it just started misfiring constantly now when I got on it hard on the way home - maybe seal finally cracked, etc?) . How would I determine if the seal is bad? Id rather just replace that if I find thats the case then buy a whole new injector for a few hundred bucks, but how do you determine if its the seal?

hrmm... Maybe pull the rail and see if there is a visual difference between the misfiring cylinder and the rest of them? I'm guessing the bad seal will look quite a bit different from the rest. The set of "upgraded seals" is pretty cheap @ ptperformance, iirc.

Well it took me awhile to finally find the time to work on my car and finish it. Just thought i'd let you all know that it was indeed a clogged injector, car is now fixed and running great again. I guess there is a first for everything, but a clogged inj was def the culprit.

I ended up just buying a new one. I talked to multiple speciatly fuel injec cleaning shops, and while they could clean it none of them had the ability to test properly due to the high PSI. I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting it cleaned and not really knowing if it worked or not, and doing the whole job for naught if it didn't clean sufficiently, just to do the whole job again.

Back