why do people stretch tires?

Appearance is the main reason. From the above posts it's obvious there are differences in opinion regarding handling and performance and the guys the champion the scene will say there's no safety concern and to be honest I've never seen a tire pop off as a result. It really comes down to what YOU want to do. If over all performance is your goal I'd like to suggest a well-balanced wheel/tire combintion and there are many threads regarding what works and what doesn't. If appearance is your thing I'd get in touch with the Slammed Thread/Aggressive Fitment Thread guys as they know far more about the subject than I do.

I've owned my MP5 for going on 3 yrs I believe, and I have not done a whole lot to it. If I was going to do anything, I would, and plan to drop it a bit, and go with another rim tire combo. I want a little of both ride quality, handling, and look.

I've owned my MP5 for going on 3 yrs I believe, and I have not done a whole lot to it. If I was going to do anything, I would, and plan to drop it a bit, and go with another rim tire combo. I want a little of both ride quality, handling, and look.
Based on those goals I'd recommend a simple aftermarket spring/strut combo for suspension. I had Tein S-Tech springs and Tokico HP struts on my P5 and my initial goals were similar to yours. Regarding wheel/tire I'd suggest something that is 7 or 7.5 inches wide with a 215-series tire. As for wheel offsets I would stick with +40 and above unless you want to start messing with the fenders. I had 17x7 +45 mm wheels with 215/40R17 tires and had no problems with rubbing when lowered.

Haha Heres some fire to the convo (ricer)

Attachments

• 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 858
Based on those goals I'd recommend a simple aftermarket spring/strut combo for suspension. I had Tein S-Tech springs and Tokico HP struts on my P5 and my initial goals were similar to yours. Regarding wheel/tire I'd suggest something that is 7 or 7.5 inches wide with a 215-series tire. As for wheel offsets I would stick with +40 and above unless you want to start messing with the fenders. I had 17x7 +45 mm wheels with 215/40R17 tires and had no problems with rubbing when lowered.

I've got some racing beat springs sitting in storage right now, I want to change the front springs, and leave the rears alone. I think the car sits low enough in the ass end all ready. I've seen some spring kits, where the car sits lower in the back then the front. And then just replace the shocks and struts all the way around. I had a set of 18's that I really enjoyed, but I might go with a 17 in rim once I start getting in to the suspension.

Wow, this thread lit up like wild fire! What we need here is for someone with time and money to do an experiment on the track. Here is what I propose:

**Some needs to buy 1 set of tires on the stock rims lets and use a tire that is a 195/50 15 cause this is what came stock with an 03 protege5 and then take a different set of rims use the same tire size, 195/50 15, they have to be the same manufaturer (obiviously), and mount those on a rim, that is the next size up in width from OEM, so the tire is stretched. Then they need to regester for a drivers education course, lol this actually will be and education day, and have someone time their laps. ONLY THEN will we truely be able to see if it is "better or worse" from lap times.***

DO WE AGREE?

I should add this, the person should not only do one or two sessions of the stock and stretched tire, but should alternate back and forth between the two. For you will constantly be getting faster lap times as the day progresses, especially if you are going from early morning to later in the after noon. We have to calculate surface temperature in as well. This will allow for a more accurate and precise average of lap-times between the two tires.

(Do I need to add anything to the experiment to make it more accurate?)

P.S. Please use the same tire pressure respectively.

lol why? thats alot of work, if its the same tire, same ride height, then there wont really be a difference at all
but I guess we could still try it to see what the results would be

an btw..p5's came with 16" wheels, not 15's

Wow, this thread lit up like wild fire! What we need here is for someone with time and money to do an experiment on the track. Here is what I propose:

**Some needs to buy 1 set of tires on the stock rims lets and use a tire that is a 195/50 15 cause this is what came stock with an 03 protege5 and then take a different set of rims use the same tire size, 195/50 15, they have to be the same manufaturer (obiviously), and mount those on a rim, that is the next size up in width from OEM, so the tire is stretched. Then they need to regester for a drivers education course, lol this actually will be and education day, and have someone time their laps. ONLY THEN will we truely be able to see if it is "better or worse" from lap times.***

DO WE AGREE?

I should add this, the person should not only do one or two sessions of the stock and stretched tire, but should alternate back and forth between the two. For you will constantly be getting faster lap times as the day progresses, especially if you are going from early morning to later in the after noon. We have to calculate surface temperature in as well. This will allow for a more accurate and precise average of lap-times between the two tires.

(Do I need to add anything to the experiment to make it more accurate?)

P.S. Please use the same tire pressure respectively.

I do not think that you will get an experienced instructor to take part in something like that. I doubt guys that I know from the SCCA, NASA or PCA would let the out of tech. Personally, with tracks like Mid-Oio, VIR, Watkins Glen, Road America, Lime Rock Park and others that I driven...I wouldn't even take the chance. In speaking with pro drivers I know, they would'nt even give this experiemnt the time of day, because of the danger factor.

yes, yes, you are correct. lol i have been typing in 205/50 15 in a lot cause i have been shopping around for tires for my corolla and i got a little accustomed to typing it in plus i'm a little (stoned) ATM (lol2)

I've got some racing beat springs sitting in storage right now, I want to change the front springs, and leave the rears alone. I think the car sits low enough in the ass end all ready. I've seen some spring kits, where the car sits lower in the back then the front. And then just replace the shocks and struts all the way around. I had a set of 18's that I really enjoyed, but I might go with a 17 in rim once I start getting in to the suspension.

no lol the drop is very minuscule...barely noticeable
you can try to search to find some pics, but the advertised drop is .875", which is next to nothing

yea, i figured i would let you know before you put them on and have to take them off and buy different ones lol
I havent dealt with springs in a while, but im pretty sure the eibach pro-kit will give you what your looking for
without that saggy ass look

by contrast, the RB rears will dump the back of a P5 by probably a good 2", due to the difference in perch height on the strut.

I have a set of spool springs I'll be selling probably sometime around spring. I'm very happy with the drop on them.

by contrast, the RB rears will dump the back of a P5 by probably a good 2", due to the difference in perch height on the strut.

I have a set of spool springs I'll be selling probably sometime around spring. I'm very happy with the drop on them.

yeah, please let me know if you might sell them? Do you have any pics? thank you

Last edited:
Back