Rim paint questions

BlackWagonP5

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I want to paint my stock '03 rims gloss black. I've seen lots of flat black painted rims. Basically i want to get a pretty glossy black finish then i'm going to paint the lip red and get some red lug nuts and red calipers. I think I have the process down but i need to know where to purchase the paint and whatever else i need to get the finish I'm looking for.

To make it easier on everyone else, instead of having someone list what i should do, I'm going to make a list of what i think is included in the process.
PLEASE... make corrections or add in anything you think needs to be different about what i plan on doing. Criticism is welcome.

1. Sand with various sand paper grits to get a clean smooth surface.
2. Use black high heat heavy duty primer, do multiple coats.
3. This is where i get lost, I am unable to find gloss black rim paint.
If i found some I would paint the rim black, let it dry, then paint the lip red and finish it all off with a couple coats of lacquer.

Any links to suggested products would be nice, I've heard duplicolor works great but i can only find flat black.

Thanks in advance.

I used regular primer. To get a smooth finish your gonna need to do a lot of paint sand paint sand. I would use clear acrylic

Clear coat will protect the paint. Best bet would be to try it out on one wheel to see if it gives you the desired effect. Krylon or Rustoleum will also give good results.

Primer is a good idea. I don't know the condition of your wheels but a ScotchBrite pad versus mutli-stage sanding with paper will work if the condition is good.

Buy one of those spray triggers for better application of the paint.

Before you do any primer/painting make sure the wheels are clean and free of any grease, wax or anything else that will impact the look of the paint when dried.

THeres one small scuff on one of my wheels but it should be able to be filled in with primer, and im thnking im going to use a degreaser called purple power its pretty strong

My only piece of advice is to go for a different color. Black on black might seem like a good idea but its overrated. Go with gold or bronze, i promise you will be sooo much happier that way.

Is that just from your experiences, i was thinking about bronze but idk how it would look with the stock rims, and what color calipers would I go with if i went the bronze right.

I painted my rims on my old Grand Am... never clear coated them. Always shined and never flaked. Come to think of it, I only scuffed up the rim, and never between coats. Guess I was damn lucky.

Last edited:
I painted my stocks gold to use for my winter setup. I was originally going to go with all black but every time I saw a car in all black it just didn't look good. Even my summer setup at least has the bit of red on the wheels(which kicks ass by the way). And if you ask anyone, gold and bronze go great with black. Unfortunately I never took real good pics on my wheels but I do have cell phone pics, doesn't do them justice though:

CIMG0002.jpg

CIMG0003.jpg

Another example are subarus (I really hate that I have to use this as an example). They have stock gold wheels on their black Sti's, just google them and you will see it looks really good.

a good friend of mine has an sti thats the rally blue with gold rims. it looks great and im definitley considering the bronze at this point but im trying to decide what color calipers because idk how well red goes with the bronze

As cliche as it might seem, red calipers are great if you want them noticed, or black paint if u want to get rid of the rust look but not make them obvious.

I went with red to match my wheels and it also looks nice with bronze/gold. Black, gold and red look really really nice together but only if done well. Too many people get carried away and want to put accent pieces in each color everywhere. My motto was less is more. Outside of my wheels and calipers, I have a Sport20 decal, the mudflap lettering, and red rings in my headlights, thats it. Rest is all black.

Last edited:
My only piece of advice is to go for a different color. Black on black might seem like a good idea but its overrated. Go with gold or bronze, i promise you will be sooo much happier that way.

You just don't want to be copied :p(first)

OK My friend is painting them for me in the paint booth at my school black with yellow lips and hes doing the calipers yellow as well, thanks for all the help

what do you guys think about black with yellow lip and yellow calipers? carrera GT style

Honestly, that would be bad. Yellow + black = batman or bumble bee. But go with what you want, that is just my personal opinion.

You just don't want to be copied :p(first)

True and false. I don't want to be copied exactly but I don't think anyone will do that anyways. I am always willing to show people what stuff I have done, where I got it all and how to install it.

But why would you want to copy someone completely? Its all about making your car personal. Something the subaru/honda community has lost track of in recent years. Rant over!

i thought it thru and i feel like red and black is overplayed and i saw a carrera gt black on black with yellow lip and it looked sick and since i have 5 percent tint the batman look wont be too bad (although its not the look im going for)

i thought it thru and i feel like red and black is overplayed and i saw a carrera gt black on black with yellow lip and it looked sick and since i have 5 percent tint the batman look wont be too bad (although its not the look im going for)

overlooking the obviously wrong comment about red and black being over played (protest) definitely post pics up once it is all said and done! you will definitely be the only p5 i know if with that color combination which is what modifying is all about.

Back