How To: Repair curb rash and paint rims

mazdaspeed777

Contributor
:
03' Mazda Protege 5
First of all I tried to post this in the how to section but it wouldn't let me for some reason so it would be great if you moderators out there could do that if you like or feel this is a bad place for this thread.

So I have heard alot of people asking on how to do this and saw there were no how to's on this topic yet so here we go. First of here is what you need for the project:

**NOTE**
If you do this mod you will have to balance your wheels afterwards, aspecially if you use any bondo to fix your wheels. Even just the added weight of the paint will make your wheels off balance. Balancing your wheels usually costs around $20-40 and can be done at all tire, mechanic shops, and dealerships.

What you need:
  • Wheel cleaner
  • Wheel paint
  • Sandable filler primer
  • Wheel clear coat
  • 240 and 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
  • Bondo spot puddy
  • Deck of playing cards
a3d18e6602ea.jpg

38a8693ba3df.jpg

1) I will be doing this on my stock P5 wheels since that is a popular thing to do, but of coarse this will work with any kind of wheel. First off you will need to clean the crap out of your wheels, this is very important. If you miss one spot of greese or dirt the paint is most likely not to stick to that spot. Here is what came off my wheels after already washing them once:
4f1567f21741.jpg

2) Take out your senter caps, unless you want those painted to:
9e97b14ea077.jpg

3) If you you have any curb rash, scratchs, corrosion, or chips on your wheels sand them with the 240 grit sandpaper, also give the whole wheel a good sanding. Here is an example of some of the bad spots on my wheels I will be fixing:
3141f88bbe31.jpg

1275b818957d.jpg

4) Now that you got the sanding done now is the time for the bondo spot puddy to fix those bad areas. Before you put the puddy on the damaged areas put masking tape around the edge of the wheel(I didn't do this and got puddy all over the tires, learn from my mistake). You don't want this stuff on your tires. The best method I used was to put a bit of pudy on at a time on my finger and spread a thin coat of the puddy on the damaged areas, if you put to thick of a layer on it will crack:
b312791806dc.jpg

a66cb7f1beee.jpg

5) Now you will have to wait 30 minutes for the puddy to dry(if its warm out, longer if its below 60-70 deg. F.). After that take you 400 grit sandpaper and sand the puddy down to a smooth surface.
7112eebff75c.jpg

3aa1ce8702dd.jpg

Last edited:
6) Now that you have the damaged areas fixed you lets get ready to paint. Put some masking tape around the air valve:
5d48d4648846.jpg

7) Now take the playing cards and place them in the edge of the tire like so, I found that this was easier than using masking tape:
c3073f8950cd.jpg

8) Now your ready for primer. I chose the sandable filler primer to get a better smoother surface, plus if you see any more bumps or imperfections you can still sand them down. I did about 3 coats of primer, but it wouldn't hert to do four. Make sure it is atleast 60 degrees F. where you are painting, and wait about 15-20minutes between coats.
307cb5384ae5.jpg

Look how smooth it looks already because of the puddy you used.

9) Now stop and have a drink! Lots of waiting and watching so this will eat some time and relax you after all that hard work. Remember the longer you wait the better. I did this at night so this did me some good. lol MMMMM Captain Morgans coconut rum and orange juice!
6a6133830a4b.jpg

10) Now after your done with the primer I would wait an extra 30min before applying wheel paint. Now apply your wheel paint. I did about 5 coats of wheel paint, and again waiting 15-20min between coats. I chose a gloss black paint. Here they are after 5 coats of wheel paint, MMMM Sexy!
5b434e861fbf.jpg

11) Now for the clear coat. I let the paint dry overnight before I aplied the clear coats. Sometimes if you have many layers of paint that are not dry enough and you apply clear coat, the clear coat will pull on the paint layers making cracks and wrinkles in the paint. WE DON'T WANT THAT! I did three layers of clear coat, two light coats followed by one heavy coat. And here they are!!! Good as new!
4559ccce835b.jpg

12) Last step. If you got any paint on your tires take a wrag and some acsitone or paint thinner and rub them clean. Now install and enjoy! I will do a photo shoot in the reserved post below once I get them back on today so check back. Good luck to all and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Check it out, I converted the P5 to a huvver car:
4da411ea32cb.jpg

OK finally got some pics of the new rim installed

I just got back from a mazda drive we had, here are a few pics from that:
8cdc101f4ff4.jpg

3b938da6e006.jpg

Now for some closer pics of the new rims:

BEFORE:
5316d2d86ecc.jpg

ec60ebee3c17.jpg

AFTER:
b7b11185880d.jpg

d7d24b06358a.jpg

67203653a35f.jpg

424a69bf38af.jpg

1b48a8da796f.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! I just had the (very worn) tires knocked of my stockers and I'll be doing this soon ...

Oh - any detail work with the center caps, or are they staying silver?

almost makes me think i could paint my rims myself! (if only i was that good! haha), been wanting to paint my stockers black w/ silver rim.

btw.. sweet rims

Bala de Plata said:
Oh - any detail work with the center caps, or are they staying silver?

Yah I took the center caps out before I painted them(step 2). So they are staying silver, it should look pretty sweet that way.

Jackelope said:
almost makes me think i could paint my rims myself! (if only i was that good! haha), been wanting to paint my stockers black w/ silver rim.

btw.. sweet rims

Thanks, Come one you can do it! They only way to learn is to do! If the turn out bad you can just sand blast them or sand them and repaint them till you get it right.

Bala de Plata said:
lol - at the tire shop :p

They all need some love ...
Kerbed%20Stocker.JPG

Mine were way worse than that if look at the picks above. One rim almost had curb rash all the way around the whole rim.

What did you do with the lug nuts then? Paint them the same color of just leave them silver?

Pics?????

sweet write up , i plan on doing this at some point as well just what color ...gunmetal or back to silver.....

Flash5 said:
What did you do with the lug nuts then? Paint them the same color of just leave them silver?

Pics?????

No I left them. I wouldn't recommend painting lug nuts, they would just chip later. If you want colored lug nuts it is best to get anadized ones.

wait so the center caps are gonna be the stock color while the rest is whatever your painted it?

im interested in what thats gonna look like

doesnt the mazda symbol come out of the center cap tho? so if i wanted, could paint the center cap?

Back