Prospective buyer, w/ Mazda3 S performance questions.

Alright, here's the scoop:

I just recently sold my Mazdaspeed Protege (last week), and am looking for a "new" car. I've always liked the Mazda3 S Hatcback, and drove the Speed3 several times. The Speed3 would just end up getting me in trouble, just like my MSP did..lmao. So that leaves me considering the 3 S GT Hatch.

My MSP was a fantastic handling car, and it was pretty damn quick as well. I come from owning a ton of fun vehicles, (owned 7 or 8 sr20de and det Nissans, 2 Rx-7's, etc.) so it's important to me that what I buy is fun but still semi-practical.

What are your impressions of the Mazda 3 S Hatch as far as it's "fun-to-drive" ability is concerned ? Also, I'd really appreciate to hear from some people that went from "faster" cars to the Mazda3 S, and how you like or dislike the change. I'm just worried that it may be too slow to keep me entertained. I don't Auto-X, drag, or race in any way, I just need a car that can put a smile on my face when I drive it.

well i dont have a hatch i got the sedan, but its definitely a fun little car to drive! handles and takes turns really well, like no body roll! it is not slow, it definitely has some "pep" to it lol, but i honestly wish it were faster. but thats what performance mods are for! (thumb) but its definitely practical, good on insurance, regular unleaded gas, 4 door for your family or friends,etc. but i would definitely recommend one!

Thanks. I'm really worried about wanting more perfomance out of it, and the mods won't really do too much for a NA car. Thanks again for the input.

Thanks. I'm really worried about wanting more perfomance out of it, and the mods won't really do too much for a NA car. Thanks again for the input.

If your wallet and foot can handle it..

go for a speed3. If not.. Mazda 3 hatch is fine.. but coming from the list of cars you had and your MSP.. Your gonna wish you bought a Mazdaspeed 3. :)

My wallet can handle it, the foot I'm not sure of. I got a bunch of tickets in my MSP, always when just passing people to change lanes. I test drove both Gens of the MS3, and I likey. The other issue is: The reliability of the Speed3 seems questionable to me @ this point. I love turbos, but they have the potential to be a real PITA...

I love turbos, but they have the potential to be a real PITA...

BOOM! (boom01) THAT is where practicality comes in! a big reason i stayed away from turbos even though i LOVE them is there could potentially be alot of maitenance/money invested in to them as far as maintaining them or something goes wrong. and yes definitely tickets was also a concern lol

honestly, I've gotten tickets in everything from the MSP, to a bad Intrepid, to an S-10... drivers get tickets, cars don't.

My wallet can handle it, the foot I'm not sure of. I got a bunch of tickets in my MSP, always when just passing people to change lanes. I test drove both Gens of the MS3, and I likey. The other issue is: The reliability of the Speed3 seems questionable to me @ this point. I love turbos, but they have the potential to be a real PITA...

I understand the concern for a turbo'd car(longevity).. but as for Reliability especially on the forums, you will definitely read more bad than good.

I own an 08 Mazda 3 S Hatch, and since I purchased her june 2008, I've had a MAF wiring issue (my fault for not extending it due to CAI),my Power steering failed but fixed/replaced under warranty and my Gas cap broke - also under warranty. Other than those I've had no issues with the car. Runs great, turns great, I just wish it had a little bit more power... and I miss the sound/feel of a turbo spool/bov. :(

Are you looking at new gens? or the prior?

honestly, I've gotten tickets in everything from the MSP, to a bad Intrepid, to an S-10... drivers get tickets, cars don't.

well for me its kinda different my wife has a 99 explorer and when i drive that i litterally drive like a grampa i barely go 1 over the speed limit. in my car...... well hehe, you know.... lol (burnout)

well for me its kinda different my wife has a 99 explorer and when i drive that i litterally drive like a grampa i barely go 1 over the speed limit. in my car...... well hehe, you know.... lol (burnout)
I speed in my fiance's Grand Cherokee almost as much as the MSP.... just takes longer to get up to speed.

Testing has been done that shows when you put someone in a fast or fastER car, they drive it accordingly. Years of insurance studies prove this, not like we needed them to prove the theory...hahaha. Obviously self control comes into play, but I think you know what I'm saying. With my MSP, RX-7, 240sx, Se-r, etc.. all it took was a lil' bit of pressure on the gas to get moving quick, whereas with something slower you really have to get into the pedal. A fast car makes speeding easier.

I have my pace that I drive... power/weight only effects how long it takes me to get to it. On your average freeway I feel no more or less safe at 80 in a big SUV than a road-hugging sedan. I understand the statistics... I just don't think they really apply when you're talking about a personal mentality more than what the car is capable of.
My point is, don't think that a slower car will save you from a speeding ticket, unless the car is simply not capable of speeding.

Testing has been done that shows when you put someone in a fast or fastER car, they drive it accordingly. Years of insurance studies prove this, not like we needed them to prove the theory...hahaha. Obviously self control comes into play, but I think you know what I'm saying. With my MSP, RX-7, 240sx, Se-r, etc.. all it took was a lil' bit of pressure on the gas to get moving quick, whereas with something slower you really have to get into the pedal. A fast car makes speeding easier.

nailed it. that explains how i drive then lol.................but what it really comes down to i think is... if you KNOW your car is quick/fast your gonna want to have fun with it and get on it. to where you have a slower car (99 explorer) you really dont care to and you know its really not gonna go anywhere fast lol

Sadly enough I know that feeling.. I've constantly downshifted and wished I had more power and not having to push my pedal all the way to the floor....

I understand the concern for a turbo'd car(longevity).. but as for Reliability especially on the forums, you will definitely read more bad than good.

I own an 08 Mazda 3 S Hatch, and since I purchased her june 2008, I've had a MAF wiring issue (my fault for not extending it due to CAI),my Power steering failed but fixed/replaced under warranty and my Gas cap broke - also under warranty. Other than those I've had no issues with the car. Runs great, turns great, I just wish it had a little bit more power... and I miss the sound/feel of a turbo spool/bov. :(

Are you looking at new gens? or the prior?

That's the thing. I don't want to spend $10-12,000 on a car, and then wish it was faster. There's not a whole lot of ways to get NA Mazda3 really moving, besides forced induction. I need to go drive one ASAP.

That's the thing. I don't want to spend $10-12,000 on a car, and then wish it was faster. There's not a whole lot of ways to get NA Mazda3 really moving, besides forced induction. I need to go drive one ASAP.

if you lived near me, I'd had pass u my keys already... haha.

See, your posts are riddled with regret. Something I'm trying to avoid.

not so much regretting, more like missing. no regrets I purchased this mazda 3.
It suits my current lifestyle the best.. married with a kid.. but I so do miss my younger years... heh. It's alright.. in 5 years I'm buying an Evo. =P

not so much regretting, more like missing. no regrets I purchased this mazda 3.
It suits my current lifestyle the best.. married with a kid.. but I so do miss my younger years... heh. It's alright.. in 5 years I'm buying an Evo. =P

i agree. fastest car i ever had (wasnt extremely fast but definitely quick) was a 92 dodge stealth r/t...that mug pulled hard! ecspecially in 3rd. but i to am married and im sure ill have a kid some time in the near future, so this car definitely is fitting. but i am gonna try n make it faster along the way with some mods! it depends on your lifestyle i geuss. also where i live turbo cars are ALOT more expensive!

and i definitely feel u monchie! i want a 2010 evo so bad! those things r GANGSTER!

i agree. fastest car i ever had (wasnt extremely fast but definitely quick) was a 92 dodge stealth r/t...that mug pulled hard! ecspecially in 3rd. but i to am married and im sure ill have a kid some time in the near future, so this car definitely is fitting. but i am gonna try n make it faster along the way with some mods! it depends on your lifestyle i geuss. also where i live turbo cars are ALOT more expensive!

and i definitely feel u monchie! i want a 2010 evo so bad! those things r GANGSTER!

heh yeah that's what i've been slowly trying to do...
So far i've gotten a CAI, Test pipe, Mazdaspeed 3 Exhaust..
I see springs and rims by next year.. lol

Back