jdm FS 2.0L engine (168 HP)

Standalone!!
Under Mazda Forums > All Mazda Tech > Engine management & Tuning

well how much horsepower would a piggyback give me when i had all the stuff as compared to having all of the engine and no piggyback

ok... we're going around in circles now. you need the FSZE ecu and harness to experience that kind of gain. pistons and cams won't get you there.

okay well then i will work at getting that. i might get mazda to do it again. that would be cool...

ok... we're going around in circles now. you need the FSZE ecu and harness to experience that kind of gain. pistons and cams won't get you there.

the FSZE ecu is near impossible to get as well as the harness correct?

^^imo you are better off with the cams and low compression pistons for power. all motor to get to msp power will end up costing you as much as you payed for the car or atleast most of the way.

I'm outside my realm of knowledge, but I believe the sensors are different, I know the intake is different.. so I don't think its that simple. I'm almost certain you can't just get it flashed. This is why if you want to do it, you are basically talking about importing a front clip from japan. (AKA, not cheap)

so, either buy focus's, spend a s*** ton, or let the idea go I think is the bottom line.

If you just want some extra poke out of the engine, you are better of getting an MP3 ECU or flash and the JDM cams.

If you are going to do an NA then start searching around and selecting your parts. It will take a fair bit of work and decent $$$ to get the same power as an MSP. You will need a standalone unless you get a full FS-ZE engine as I highly doubt that the stock ECU will cope with the mods you will need to match an MSP for power.

I'm outside my realm of knowledge, but I believe the sensors are different, I know the intake is different.. so I don't think its that simple. I'm almost certain you can't just get it flashed. This is why if you want to do it, you are basically talking about importing a front clip from japan. (AKA, not cheap)

so, either buy focus's, spend a s*** ton, or let the idea go I think is the bottom line.

FSZE is OBD1, so you cant run a FSDE with jspec ECU without major mods! And for focus's fsze, it's almost mine^^ I paid I'm part of it already!

Has anyone actually done this swap? I have a 02 Pro5 and just dropped a jdm engine into it. I swapped out most sensors. . . Trigger, throttle body sensors being the only real difference. All done but when i go to start it won't fire. The pump works but im not getting any spark or fuel. I plugged a CEL scanner and no probs but i did it again and the scanner gave me a "no link" display. Does any one know the solution to my prob? Do i really need the jdm ecu to fire up the engine? If so anyone selling there's or know how to get my hands on one? Please help

Has anyone actually done this swap? I have a 02 Pro5 and just dropped a jdm engine into it. I swapped out most sensors. . . Trigger, throttle body sensors being the only real difference. All done but when i go to start it won't fire. The pump works but im not getting any spark or fuel. I plugged a CEL scanner and no probs but i did it again and the scanner gave me a "no link" display. Does any one know the solution to my prob? Do i really need the jdm ecu to fire up the engine? If so anyone selling there's or know how to get my hands on one? Please help

It's OBD1, not OBD2. You have to redo the wiring pins yourself and re wire the harness. Look up a guy on here, his name is "Focus". He has done this swap, & DD's it.

Last edited:
Back