GI: isport CF rear diffuser project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isport has developed and is producing a rear diffuser for the Protege. Pics of test fitment are shown later in the thread.

They've said will do $475 for carbon fiber and $375 for fiberglass for the first 10 they send out.

[edit: thread moved to FS section!]
IMG_0113-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,259
  • DSC08224.jpg
    DSC08224.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
Interested in fiberglass possibly if they do it, not a fan of carbon fiber so much. My big question is how do you put down a 15% deposit if you do not know the full price. it would bw niceif it bolted in place of the rear lip instead of under klike on the wrx, just my 2 cents to keep the body lines rolling.

ill forward your questions to them, but i would assume CF is in the 500-600 range and if they are willing to do fiberglass it would probably be ~100 less.

I don't see why that would be $500-$600 in Cf... Hell you can get a trunk or hood for that much... This will be half the size.

Cause a rear diffuser serves a purpose, it needs to be structurally strong and be designed to be most effective.

A trunk is just that, a trunk. Something to cover that big hole in the back of your car ;)

Cause a rear diffuser serves a purpose, it needs to be structurally strong and be designed to be most effective.

A trunk is just that, a trunk. Something to cover that big hole in the back of your car ;)

I don't see any difference in the structural quality of them, highly doubt there it. Only reason I could see is if there was a fair amount of R&D involved for effectiveness...

Sorry, poor wording, I didn't mean that a trunk wouldn't be strong, just for a diffuser, its gotta be strong to be functional. You can't get away with it being flimsy, cheaper, to lower the overall price.

So were finally getting the boat rolling, I'm in I wanted one of these for so long. I prefer it not to be carbon fiber but if that's the only choice then I'm still in.

like said many times, I NEED to know if they are going to work around people with DIFFERENT lips on the rear bumper... There is really only 3 main different ones (protege 5, MSP2003 and MSP2003.5)

yeah i was pushing for that too, but based on the numbers right now i dont think theyd get it off the ground if it was a replacement. theres several people who seem to have zero interest in removing the 03.5 lip, which to me, is silly... you arent going to be able to see it, and if you took it off and sold it you could really make the CF diffuser way more affordable.

There prob is a way to make it fit....If I had time I would look and compare. but I sadly dont. But if this doesnt go though I still will end up one day making a flat panel under my motor, and a pannel under the rear just to make it, in theory, more efficient. Even if they would make it so you have to trim some off depending on what rear you had, i think that would work perfectly.

Sorry, poor wording, I didn't mean that a trunk wouldn't be strong, just for a diffuser, its gotta be strong to be functional. You can't get away with it being flimsy, cheaper, to lower the overall price.

i highly doubt this would end up being a functional item. for the protege, its going to be for appearance only. without a full undertray and front splitter/tray, there is no way you will get additional downforce from this thing. for this rear diffuser to be effective, it needs proper aerodynamic testing, and i highly doubt this company does anything remotely close to that. i bet they test fit to the car then put it into production.

oh, and for a front splitter to be effective, it needs to extend past the back of the front wheels, under the engine. there is currently NO aftermarket splitter that does this. plus, it would have to be within 1-2 inches of the ground below the bumper.

that being said...

this looks like a nice piece, and would "Look" good with a decent front air dam out front.

generating downforce with anything under the car is very difficult for street cars, however, i would think a decently designed diffuser would lessen the drag coefficient... albeit thats a very minor change in performance and functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back