2008 CX-9 Brake Rotor replacement

Just found this thread and am attempting the rotor & brake job with the info here. Many thanks to all sharing part #s and instructions.

thx
T

2009 CX-9 GT

I am partial to Centric, many folks on here have bought centric.
Beware of eBay no name rotors & pads, you get what you pay for.

http://www.centricparts.com/ go here for application

Then type the part number that you want into google for various vendors that sell them.

http://www.brakewarehouse.com/centric_brake_rotors.asp is one option.

Amazon also has some rotors & pads.

Centric has plain rotors, e-coated rotors that don't rust so quickly, cross drilled rotors, slotted, or crossed drilled and slotted. Up to you.

Good luck!

Hi All,

thanks for the great information! I've purchase Centric Rotors and Akebono ceramic pads and plan to replace them on my 2011 CX9 this weeked. 25k miles and brakes are unusable..

one thing I am missing is guidance on proper use of shims... Akebonos came with whole bunch of shims in the box..
can someone educate me on use of the shims pls?

thanks!!

Bump for shims..... My Centric Ceramic pads had a backing plate/shim attached permanently. I threw the factory shims in the trash as I thought a double shim would be asking for lots of cracking noise during braking and accellerating from a stop.
ks9mm, shame to see Mazda still uses crappy rotors & pads on the CX9.

I decided to bite the bullet and order the parts to overhaul the brakes on my wife's CX-9. The car only has 25k miles, but the pedal is pulsating noticeably when braking, and the front rotors are developing grooves on the inboard faces. Hopefully swapping to better parts will buy more than 25k miles...

Part numbers for future reference:

Centric ceramic pads (Posi-Quiet) :
105.12580 Front
105.12590 Rear

Centric rotors (e-coated):
120.45080 Front
120.45079 Rear

The cheapest prices I found were on rockauto, but shipping to Florida is expensive. I was able to get everything (front and rear rotors and pads) for ~$360 shipped from Amazon (thank you Amazon Prime!).

I recently replaced the pads and rotors on my 2012. The brakes from the factory were never right and I figured a trip to the dealer would not improve things much. I used akebono ceramics with new rotors and now I am pleased with the brakes. No more vibration and I have a lot more confidence in the behavior of the brakes under various driving scenarios. The originals always felt too weak given the weight of the vehicle. Cost about $170 all in and worth every penny in my opinion.

Hello, I am trying to find a how to replace the rotor in the cx 9, but nothing.

Does anyone have the link?

How do I know if the front or rear rotor are bad? the car vibrates when braking from 80 to 40 mph.

Thank you

This is how I figure out if its the front or rear. If your steering wheel shimmys while braking, it's the front rotors. For the rears, you usually feel it more in the seatback.

This is how I figure out if its the front or rear. If your steering wheel shimmys while braking, it's the front rotors. For the rears, you usually feel it more in the seatback.

My front rotors and pads were replaced last week with Centric rotors and EBC green pads. I now need to do the rear. Are there any instructions out there on how to do the rears?

Not much different than the front. FWD has a jacking point under the middle of the rear subframe. AWD I believe has a jacking point under the rear differential.
Block the front wheels with a 2x4 or something.
Remove wheel.
Remove 2 smaller caliper bolts.
Remove caliper, and ziptie to something so as not to put any pulling force on the brake hose. IMPORTANT NOT TO LET CALIPER HANG BY THE BRAKE HOSE....JUST BAD.
Remove pads
Remove 2 large caliper carrier bolts.
From this point, I can't remember if the e-brake inside the rotor has any affect on removing the rotor..... but my gut tells me you just pull it off, once you get the dang screw out.

I know there is a guide to replace front rotor and brake pads, however I was trying to find a guide for the rear. After paying the dealer $400 for the front rotors and brake pads, I decided to do the rear ones myself. This is my first DIY project, so I apologize if I sounds a bit ignorant in this matter. I know that removing the rear rotors is slightly different than the front rotors due to the parking brake. So, any help I can get is appreciated. Also, I was thinking about getting the rotors and ceramic brake pads from Advance auto, is that a terrible idea?

my 2008GT has had pulsating problems forever. I went back to the stealership a year after buying it and all they did was re-surface the rotor and called it good. I chose to live with it as it was tolerable on local roads and I don't drive on a freeway alot. Finally after about 60k miles later I took the plunge and went with Centric Black hub rotors and posi-quiet pads all around. at 73k mi. Brakes work better than when new now.

My Centric rotors now make a god awful squeel only when backing. They also vibrate now when braking at high speeds. I am going to replace them this weekend with EBC Greenstuff Pads and these rotors from E-Bay: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) This time I am replacing Front/Rear so I have matching rotors and pads all the way around. I hope it holds up better. I was using the Centric Ceramic Pads on the Front as well.

How many miles on your centric rotors? Mine squeak when backing as well, a minor annoyance, but I suspect this is due to me tossing the factory brake hardware kit (shims) because having a double shim makes a cracking noise every time you let off the brakes from a stop and hit the gas.

wow, my Centric rotors I got off Amazon also makes a god awful squealing sound when backing up, that makes 3 owners with the same issue. I don't recommend these to other owners :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It doesn't matter what you use. I replaced all 4 of my rotors and it stays quiet for a while then the squeal comes back and it always happens in reverse only. The dealer keeps greasing these things every time I go for full circle service during the recall which I went twice for. One for inspection of the control arms and once for the replacement of said control arms. I noticed that when they grease the brake hardware that the noise stops for a few days. Once it rains it starts again. It is especially louder on rainy days.

It doesn't matter what you use. I replaced all 4 of my rotors and it stays quiet for a while then the squeal comes back and it always happens in reverse only. The dealer keeps greasing these things every time I go for full circle service during the recall which I went twice for. One for inspection of the control arms and once for the replacement of said control arms. I noticed that when they grease the brake hardware that the noise stops for a few days. Once it rains it starts again. It is especially louder on rainy days.

Does this happen with any vehicle or just something more prominent in the CX9. I agree with Kornkolio, after I change all four rotors with new pads it's good for 4 to 5 months, then squealing starts when reversing only and more so after rain. My previous vehicles never did this, does it have something to do with the small size rotors for such a big CX9? They seem undersized for 4400lbs

After a few years, MY OE brakes have finally bit the bullet. Great thread for info here. Planned on getting some Centric blanks. But after reading the thread, probably will just go with StopTech's as thats what ive run on my other Mazda's without issue in the past.

After a few years, MY OE brakes have finally bit the bullet. Great thread for info here. Planned on getting some Centric blanks. But after reading the thread, probably will just go with StopTech's as thats what ive run on my other Mazda's without issue in the past.

I would just spend a little more and get the OEM rotors, they're on sale now for $59.99 shipped:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I got bit before with those eBay sellers ($125 for four rotors) with nice pictures and flashy claims
but the actual rotors that arrived look like China crap.

Just go with OEM rotors and Akebono brake pads p/n ACT1258 for the fronts and p/n ACT1259 for the rears

Last edited:
Back