Fog Light Bulb Replacement

bwudwagun

Hey everyone,

I picked up a new set of yellow H11 bulbs recently to replace the white bulbs for the fog lights on my 2006 Mazda5, but I experienced an unusual level of difficulty extracting the stock bulb from the car.

I've read the manual about a dozen times already and spent about an hour trying to get the one bulb out. Looking into the fog light housing from the front of the car, I can see the socket moving a little when I attempt to rotate it it from behind, and I can see where the tabs need to line up in order for the socket to be pulled out, but for some reason it won't budge counter-clockwise more than a few degrees regardless of how much force I apply, so I can't even pull the assembly out from the car's frame.

I even tried lifting up the car via car jack so I could get a better view of the socket from behind and underneath the car, but that didn't help.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is there something that needs to be pressed down while turning counterclockwise? It doesn't say anything about this in the owner's manual, but given previous experience working on the Mazda5, I find that the owner's manual to be relatively inadequate at explaining things.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It just twists out counter-clockwise like most bulbs. But if this is the first time removing it, it might be very difficult. I just used a lot of force, and a few scrapes and skinned knuckles later I got it out. It could be the awkward position of the being under the car that makes it difficult too. It's just very tight the first time you remove it. But once you removed it once, it is easy the next time round.

You're right. This is the first time that I'm removing the fog lamp bulbs.

I wonder if there's something I can use that would help me gain some leverage on the socket. I couldn't even feel my hands after repeatedly attempting to twist the socket out last night.

Well at least now I know I shouldn't need to worry as much about breaking anything. Thanks. Maybe I'll wear gloves next time and have another go at it later.

I had a hard time getting to the license plate bulbs and the brake light bulbs but I got those eventually on my own. This is way harder. I wonder Mazda made everything so difficult with this car. Even changing oil is relatively more complicated.

Maybe it is already in the unlocked position.

Attachments

• frontfl.JPG
    frontfl.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 742
Just got back from trying "brute force" and got only about a degree or so improvement in unscrewing the socket. I have a relatively firm grip, but my hands are completely skinned now despite wrapping a cloth around the socket and using thick gloves to gain leverage. I have no idea how you did it. There's got to be a better way.

I don't think it's in the unlocked position because I can see where the tabs need to be aligned to pull the socket out. I tried rocking it backwards anyway but it didn't work.

Going to try calling a dealer to do it for me... as much as I prefer not to. Wouldn't be surprised if they have to pull out the entire assembly just to extract the bulb.

By the way, is that photo from your owner's manual? Mine looks a bit different. It's not as illustrative.

Just got back from trying "brute force" and got only about a degree or so improvement in unscrewing the socket. I have a relatively firm grip, but my hands are completely skinned now despite wrapping a cloth around the socket and using thick gloves to gain leverage. I have no idea how you did it. There's got to be a better way.

I don't think it's in the unlocked position because I can see where the tabs need to be aligned to pull the socket out. I tried rocking it backwards anyway but it didn't work.

Going to try calling a dealer to do it for me... as much as I prefer not to. Wouldn't be surprised if they have to pull out the entire assembly just to extract the bulb.

By the way, is that photo from your owner's manual? Mine looks a bit different. It's not as illustrative.

Before doing this and paying big $ you might try taking off the bumper, I know this might sound a lot of work but believe me I also thought so myself befor doing my horn upgrade. With the bumper off you will have a better view of whats going on and better grip on the bulbs. just my 2 cent

Back