Ricktalife's EPIC fails and maybe a build thread too

hmmm... i havent found many IC kits that require removing the fogs or doing more than trimming very small portions off the bumper tabs. look up a bunch of install threads for FMICs as a starting point, lots of people run into problems (like this one) and maybe they posted a solution.

I've been browsing around and pretty much every kit requires cutting of some kind. The biggest part is the tabs like you said. I'm okay with taking out the grill as long as the bumper can hold together well.

I had the same problem, I cut the fogs out, problem solved. lol.

I think I can live without the fogs if I get a new lip to keep the front end aggressive looking. But I would need to get the deletes to fit in.

i had to cut a shitload out of my bumper, i regret doing it, i should have just moved the IC core back further

Well that's the funny thing. We have that s*** pushed back about as far as it can go. It is right up against the oil cooler, which I believe is actually farther back than the kit was meant to be mounted. I have shifted the pipes countless times to make them meet the core properly and I'm not sure I can get it back much further. I need to inspect it a little more tomorrow before anymore cutting begins.

On the ms lip, I had to cut off one of the spindles that go through the bumper but other than that, untouched.

Well I reread the MAM FMIC install How To just now and remembered something that I haven't tried...

The oil cooler than I mentioned before (which I think is actually the power steering cooler lol) is able to be relocated behind the hood latch. I remember reading that before but didn't think to try it. I will give that a shot tomorrow after work. That just might be the trick to saving my bumper and fog lights.

So I wanted to ask and give you guys time to answer throughout the day. Kicker labeled everything for me with tape so I could easily find which pipe connects to which pipe. But I'm starting to think (or maybe just hope) that he made a mistake. This picture shows the core labeling the front as the side that is facing toward the camera.

Garrett_Intercooler_2.jpg

Notice the tab in the center of the core, located on the backside that is used to mount it to the crash bar. I am thinking that the backside in this photo is actually the front and was labeled wrong. To further prove my point he only gave me a small bolt and washer to use with it and the way I have the core now is showing the tab atleast an inch behind the crash bar, waaaay too far for a small bolt to reach. This makes me feel dumb but how do I tell for sure which side is the front of the core?

Alright well I fooled with it a little bit more and it seems like he mounted it to the hood latch support. To do that I will have to relocate the AC condensor loop that is now between the core and hood latch support. How do I do this safely? I'm looking at the MAM install and it doesn't give much detail.

Alright well I fooled with it a little bit more and it seems like he mounted it to the hood latch support. To do that I will have to relocate the AC condensor loop that is now between the core and hood latch support. How do I do this safely? I'm looking at the MAM install and it doesn't give much detail.
just move it.

Check the turbolife install thread. It shows how u move that loop over. Its not that hard really. Just unbolt the latch and move it over and bolt it back up.

Alright I got the loop behind the hood latch last night, mounted the core to the support, and hooked up all the piping. The bumper fits much better than it did before, but not quite perfect. The hot pipe is touching the fog light housing just barely, and the bottom of the bumper can't quite fit over the bottom of the core. I'm sure I'll just have to cut the outer tabs for the bumper support, but I'm going to take out the grill tonight to make sure that is the problem.

I'm a little concerned about the couplers since some of them aren't on the pipes all that far and the clamps are not T-bolt clamps, just the little screwdriver ones. I will be sure to test it in my neighborhood (bumperless) before hitting the main roads.

edit: Yes, this is taking far longer than it should haha.

do it once, do it right. ive left the car uncomplete overnight for simpler things, dont be ashamed of a quality job no matter how long it takes. glad to hear youre having more luck. and as for the clamps, as long as you tighten the worm ones down really tight ive never had any issue

well you can tighten the worm gear clamps with a ratchet too you know
i think its like a 6mm or something lol i had to use a couple on mine when my T bolts stripped out
they work fine

do it once, do it right. ive left the car uncomplete overnight for simpler things, dont be ashamed of a quality job no matter how long it takes. glad to hear youre having more luck. and as for the clamps, as long as you tighten the worm ones down really tight ive never had any issue

Agreed, I want to make sure fits as good as it can.

well you can tighten the worm gear clamps with a ratchet too you know
i think its like a 6mm or something lol i had to use a couple on mine when my T bolts stripped out
they work fine

Yea I've been using an 8mm socket to tighten the worm clamps since it has more strength than I do, and can fit in tight places.

So without further ado...an important update for today! I checked all the couplers and clamps, got my dad to find some scrap parts so the lower radiator bracket would go in place, cut the outer tabs on the bumper, and most importantly took it for a test drive.

She drives pretty well aside from the fact that it still needs tuned. A/F was normal at idle as well as the vac. Only thing I'm concerned about right now is overheating because we can't get the slim fan in. The wiring is all hacked up on it and I don't want anything to blow up so I am in search of a new fan. This is the driver side fan, and my shop manual tells me the passenger side fan is for the condensor but does not mention the one that I am currently missing. Am I taking a big risk driving without it for a few days? The temp gauge was reading normal during the brief test drive.

Alright on to the pics.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

The core hangs a little lower on the driver side and I'm having some trouble getting the bumper on without hacking it up too much, but it is pretty damn close so I'm sure it will fit with a little extra love.

Well after a little cutting here and there, this b**** is ready to rock! Only minor problems as of now.

-Boosting around 5-6 pounds (seems a bit low)
-BOV not working all the time (have to adjust the spring)
-Fog lights not working (I think I forgot to reconnect the harness)
-Intercooler core not sitting perfect (but hey it's aftermarket, right?)

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the way everything sits, and once I fix the problems mentioned above + a good tune then it should finally run well.

Well after a little cutting here and there, this b**** is ready to rock! Only minor problems as of now.

-Boosting around 5-6 pounds (seems a bit low) if youre on the stock WG, this is normal, especially after a FMIC install. exhaust will increase boost sometimes, but FMIC generally drops it
-BOV not working all the time (have to adjust the spring)correct, and make sure youre on a dedicated vac source or on the brake boost.
-Fog lights not working (I think I forgot to reconnect the harness)
-Intercooler core not sitting perfect (but hey it's aftermarket, right?)boo hoo.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the way everything sits, and once I fix the problems mentioned above + a good tune then it should finally run well.

Everybody tells me different things about how the FMIC affects boost. Some say it raises it, some say it drops it. I am thinking it simply dropped it like you said since none of the couplers have popped off and I made those things as tight as I can without shredding them. I do have an ATP wastegate I bought since I'm afraid the stocker may give out, but it has yet to be installed. My BOV runs directly to the vacuum block as you can see in the updated first post. Yea I'm not too worried about the core not sitting straight, but the s*** is painted black anyway so it's hard to tell from a distance, but I don't think the grill will fit right without cutting one of the tabs so I'm going without it for now.

Also just ordered an 11" Spal pull fan and brackets to mount it.

Back