91 DX dies and restarts after 30 minutes

powermad

Hello all
I have been having this problem for several months and now it is happening daily.

The first time it did it it just died, no stumble CEL or anything just a dead tiller.
After 30 minutes it fired up and drove normally for a week or so and then same thing.

I replaced the fuel filter and installed a T-fitting in the fuel line and drove around for a few weeks monitoring the fuel pressure while I drove.
Fluke pressure sensor and Fluke meter.
Pressure was where it should be and the regulator checked out.
The T-fitting started to leak and since it had been a couple of weeks with no problems I removed it.
Then same thing, just shuts off. The relay under the dash clicks when cranking.
20 to 30 minutes later it fires up.
Very irritating.
I was checking the cap and coil and while removing the coil wire the terminal pulled out of the wire.
I replaced that and the cap and rotor.
3 days later... it died in the middle of the intersection.
It does it at a steady cruise, climbing a hill, coming to a stop, sitting at a light, pulling away from a light.
No common theme.
Other than having to sit for a while.
It will do it 5 minutes after taking off or drive for 250 miles before screwing up.
Lately it has been an everyday thing.

When running it has plenty of power (for a 4 banger)
I just replaced the exhaust from the resonator back due to exhaust leaks and it wouldn't pass emissions.
The cat was intact and flowing good.

Any ideas before I toss any more parts at it?
I'm about ready to go to a u-pull it and grab everything engine control related.
But don't like the idea of swapping in used electronics.
Thanx
Ron

These motors have issues with the ECT sensor making it do that, also common to have bad coils, and pickups in the dizzy. My 91 prot did that, took dizzy apart and cleaned it all up, was some oil in it, and then put a new coil and ect sensor in. Never died again.

Back