Redline Hood Lifts

PaPaSpeed

:
Mazdaspeed3
I decided I wanted to try a set of hood struts to lift the hood and hold it up without using the hood rod. I looked around a chose the Redline Elite in stainless steel. They make a set specifically for the Speed3 since the hood is heavier than the regular 3's. They give you stronger struts (A8's).

I was a bit skeptical that they would work, but they made me a believer. They do work, and work very well so far. I just put them on today.

The directions were very good, easy to understand---even for me. I had no problems and they went on with no issues. I did however, borrow an angled drill from my neighbor to drill the fender holes. It made the job easier since it was a tight space to work in.

All in all I'd recommend these to anyone that wants to add a little bling to the engine bay.

Attachments

• 100_0336.JPG
    100_0336.JPG
    664.4 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_0338.JPG
    100_0338.JPG
    704.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_0340.JPG
    100_0340.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Had a set of the Redline hoodlistf on my Subaru. Hoping I can get another set for my Speed3 one day. I loved them!

Good to see!!

I could never understand why the car wouldn't come stock with one.

I'm definitely ordering this... Thanks for the post!

Looks good, wish the car would have come from the factory like this. I'm hesitant to drill holes in fear of rusting in winter.

Is it the kind that goes underneath the hood hinges? How is the gap between the hood and the fender effected? I have seen the ones that go underneath the hood hinges make the gap larger (and uneven) there and to me it would drive me crazy.

Edit: now that I looked at the pictures again, I see that it doesnt go under the hinges.. Not a fan of drilling the holes though.

Last edited:
Looks good. After looking at the third pic (I could be wrong), but it looks like the washer hose may be pinched a bit from the strut resting on top of it when the hood is closed. You might want to run it on the other side of the strut and tie it down out of the way, if that's the case. After a while of opening and closing your hood, the strut may wear a whole in the hose. It might not be that big of a concern, but I thought I should mention it.

Next time I'm up in Fredneck, wouldn't mind giving these a gander on your car. My neighbor had them on his MS6, seemed to work well.

Looks good. After looking at the third pic (I could be wrong), but it looks like the washer hose may be pinched a bit from the strut resting on top of it when the hood is closed. You might want to run it on the other side of the strut and tie it down out of the way, if that's the case. After a while of opening and closing your hood, the strut may wear a whole in the hose. It might not be that big of a concern, but I thought I should mention it.

You are right, the hose does seem to be in the way. I hit the wind shield washers, and they work just fine. I still think I'll try to reroute the hose a little bit just to make sure it doesn't wear.
Good eye and thanks for the suggestion.

Next time I'm up in Fredneck, wouldn't mind giving these a gander on your car. My neighbor had them on his MS6, seemed to work well.

Hell yeah, next time you're up this way, give a shout. Since I'm retired, I'm usually around.

They do work pretty well.

thats a good idea too.
side note, you were able to find cwp touch up paint? I've been bugging my dealer since i ordered the car.
Got it at the dealer. Pretty sure they had to order it, but they may have had it in stock.

I tied back my washer hose to keep it from getting pinched, and it did anyway. The rear washer worked, but the windshield washer only worked with the hood up, so I just cut the tie-wrap. (hand)

PaPaSpeed, you just cost me $137! Ordered some last night. Actually it's not your fault - seems every time I can't sleep and get up to surf, I end up buying something ;)

PaPaSpeed, you just cost me $137! Ordered some last night. Actually it's not your fault - seems every time I can't sleep and get up to surf, I end up buying something ;)

Should have gone to the vendor you're not supposed to mention on these boards, it would have only cost you 107.
Sweet dreams. lol

Looks good! I keep debating on buying these come spring time. They really clean things up a lot.

Back