Prospective Mazda3 Buyer Questions Need Help

OneArmMan

I am in the market for a Mazda 3 but my price point is poor at roughly 9-10K.

Do I get the "I" and get a car with lower miles and a better chance of a good deal since there are alot more "I" Series?
OR do I buy an "S" with higher miles and probably one that is not in as good condition?

In terms of Reliability are there any known differences between the 2.0 and 2.3?
Is there a major difference in terms of drivability and better torque in the 10-40 MPH range? The "I" seemed sluggish when shifting from second to third but it is acceptable.

I don't care about 0-60 times or top end etc. I DO care about acceleration and torque so the manual tranny remains fun to drive.

Does the 2.3 liter motor make such a big difference in terms of lower end torque or is the 2.0 liter fairly close?

Remember that I am strapped at say 10 thousand dollars max. so I am wondering if the 2.3 Liter is really worth getting since I will end up with much higher miles on the car. Reliability is a Major Concern since I will be driving the car into the ground. I wonder if either of the 2 engines has proven reliability over the other. Displacement does not equal reliability.

Thanks In Advance!

I have '10 w/2.5 and my daughter has an 07 w/2.0 and I really don't notice much difference at all. I do like all the extra features and trim that comes with the 'S' package so I didn't mind paying extra for it, not so much the bigger engine that comes with it. Plus the 2.0 has a regular type oil filter as well so that job is easier. I wouldn't let the engine size be the determining factor.

You really can't judge a car form the miles...
I was looking at Mazda RX-8's and I found two at the same price point and one had like 5k miles and the other had 30k.
The 5k one had a really rough ride due to the owner putting regular gas and grinding gears and hitting and sitting in the red area while shifting.
the 30k one drove like a dream and was SUPER clean it was an older couple that owned it and they had changed the oil every 3k miles because "they could" the car had been washed twice a week...

I have the 2.0 and I love it, I drove the 2.3 and didn't get blown away enough to buy it.
But if you get a 5-door then it will have the 2.3... which I love the hatch but went with the 2.0 because it was less for insurance. (Which is why I don't have an RX-8)

Well, there are some advantages to the 2.0: Better gas mileage, lower price, less mechanical things to go wrong. However, the 2.0 is not quite as torquey as the 2.3 since it's down on cc's as well as it doesn't have variable valve timing (at least the older ones don't), it has a rougher feel since it doesn't have a balance shaft like the 2.3, and you won't get certain features.

In all honestly, you need to see what the different models cost and what you can afford, test drive both engines, and see what you like and can afford.

Back