Check engine keep lighting up ''car run rich'', they cant find the issue!

carbosam

My MS3 is still under full warranty, its a 2008.

Ive been to the dealership with the check engine light coming on atleast 6 times now, they replaced a couple sensor and the full pump and solenoid, basicly everything they are told to replace when that code come up. They dont know what to do anymore, they have been in contact with the Mazda canada technical assistance for the whole day now. Just called in, they still dont know what to do. They are keeping it and they will try to find a solution tomorrow.

They are now considering changing the car computer or what ever...

Im ******* pissed now, I bought that car used maby 4 months ago and its been nothing but ******* trouble!

Oh and the ******* turbo smoked the other day, got to get that replace too

Do you know the actual CEL code? Sounds like your dealer is just making work to run up a warranty bill with Mazda or they have incompetent local service staff.

I highly doubt that they are doing this on purpose, the mecanian and the service man seemed legitimatly dumbfounded...

just let them take care of it, it's not your money (although it is your time)

sounds like they're pretty much doing what the manual tells them to do in order. maybe the ecu will fix it

I guarantee you've got a leaking fuel injector. It will eventually get worse over time and you will get a misfire code on that cylinder and your spark plug will be completely fouled. Happened to my engine until they finally figured out that it was a leaking injector. It took them a while to figure it out after replacing a bunch of other parts on my car too. Tell them to do a compression check while they're at it as a leaking injector will eventually damage the rings due to cylinder wash down.

I guarantee you've got a leaking fuel injector. It will eventually get worse over time and you will get a misfire code on that cylinder and your spark plug will be completely fouled. Happened to my engine until they finally figured out that it was a leaking injector. It took them a while to figure it out after replacing a bunch of other parts on my car too. Tell them to do a compression check while they're at it as a leaking injector will eventually damage the rings due to cylinder wash down.

ill tell them that tomorrow, thank you!

Is damaging a ring serious, I dont know much about mechanic?

ill tell them that tomorrow, thank you!

Is damaging a ring serious, I dont know much about mechanic?

Damaged rings are very serious. Bad rings will lose compression, robbing the car of power. They'll also allow fuel to get into your oil, which breaks down the oil & causes increased wear on all moving parts. Depending on how badly rings get damaged, bad ones often lead to a full engine rebuild- new bearings, rings, gotta check the crankshaft for excessive wear, sometimes have to bore out the cylinder walls as well, which leads to new pistons... you get the picture. It can be a real mess.

Damaged rings are very serious. Bad rings will lose compression, robbing the car of power. They'll also allow fuel to get into your oil, which breaks down the oil & causes increased wear on all moving parts. Depending on how badly rings get damaged, bad ones often lead to a full engine rebuild- new bearings, rings, gotta check the crankshaft for excessive wear, sometimes have to bore out the cylinder walls as well, which leads to new pistons... you get the picture. It can be a real mess.

but for that to happen, i need to have misfire code right?

but for that to happen, i need to have misfire code right?

nope. Misfire in this case will be due to a fouled plug from excess unburnt fuel on the spark plug electrodes, which should happen eventually if you're running too rich. Cylinder wash occurs when unburnt fuel from running too rich literally washes the oil off of the cylinder wall.
Damaged rings will result in oil burning, loss of power and a noticeable drop in fuel economy if they are damaged enough. If the dealership fixes the issue early enough the rings should be ok. I would not drive the car hard until the issue is resolved.
You should find out if it's running too rich at idle or off idle.

nope. Misfire in this case will be due to a fouled plug from excess unburnt fuel on the spark plug electrodes, which should happen eventually if you're running too rich. Cylinder wash occurs when unburnt fuel from running too rich literally washes the oil off of the cylinder wall.
Damaged rings will result in oil burning, loss of power and a noticeable drop in fuel economy if they are damaged enough. If the dealership fixes the issue early enough the rings should be ok. I would not drive the car hard until the issue is resolved.
You should find out if it's running too rich at idle or off idle.

well it doesnt use more fuel, i didnt feel any lost in power that for sure

but it's not gonna care about running rich unless it has a rich misfire. it's only reading from it's non-wideband 02 sensors, not like this car has a sniffer in the tail pipe

So i talked to the service man this morning about the possibility of a leaking fuel injector...

He told me all the fuel injector have been tested and the motor compression has been tested aswell and there is nothing wrong with either...

They are now awaiting for the mazda canada technical team to tell them what to do but they think it might be the car computer. They said everything work fine for a while until suddenly it doesnt for a moment.

Hes gonna call me back on that this morning

So i talked to the service man this morning about the possibility of a leaking fuel injector...

He told me all the fuel injector have been tested and the motor compression has been tested aswell and there is nothing wrong with either...

They are now awaiting for the mazda canada technical team to tell them what to do but they think it might be the car computer. They said everything work fine for a while until suddenly it doesnt for a moment.

Hes gonna call me back on that this morning

That's good the compression is ok. I'm still thinking it's a leaking injector, but in the early stages because it took OVER A YEAR for their diagnostic system and the Mazda tech line to detect the leaking injector. For my first few visits to the dealership they said they tested the injectors and they were all ok. When they finally diagnosed the leaking injector it was over a year's worth of P2188 CELs and misfire cels and many replaced parts.
It is possible it's ECU related, but my money is on a leaking injector. Everything they replaced on your car, including the computer, they replaced on mine too, without success.

So yeah, I just talked to the service man again. Look like its either the internal fuel injector or the computer. They are gonna do more test tomorrow and then order what need to be replaced, we will see how that goes!

I lost my license for 2 more months so not having my car is not a big deal.

but it's not gonna care about running rich unless it has a rich misfire. it's only reading from it's non-wideband 02 sensors, not like this car has a sniffer in the tail pipe

The OP has a MS3.

Which car (with the "non-wideband 02 sensors") were you referring to?

Back