What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

All very nice mods!! :( I miss my 5.

Right now the only mods I'm doing to my minivan are the kind to keep it running (cryhard)

She was running a tiny bit rough at idle so I installed an AEM Dryflow drop-in air filter (28-20293) replacing my old K&N drop-in filter (never been a fan of the oiled filters because they seem to cause more TB gunk then necessary) and cleaned my TB leaving it nice and squeaky clean. Finished it off by disconnecting my battery for 20 minutes, reconnecting it and performed an idle learn procedure. Its running nice and smooth.

Hey davicho how do you do the idle learn. I never heard of that.

Anytime you disconnect the battery, or battery goes dead, or you mess with the TB an idle learn procedure must be performed.

Get in close the door and make sure you don't start this procedure until dome lights have gone out completely. Turn the key to the ACC position (when all dash lights go on right before the START position) make sure you turn off all accesories (radio, AC, lights) nothing must be on. Leave it in that position for about 30-45 seconds during that time the check engine light will blink 3 times and then remain on again. After that happens, turn the engine on and just sit in there and let it idle for no less then 5 minutes. Don't touch anything just let it idle. After the 5 minutes idling turn it off and just let it sit for 1 minute before turning it on again. Voila!

Changed the oil and filter. My drain plug is stripped (actually its the pan thats stripped) sigh... She is only dripping very slowly right now but i will have to fix it soon.

Out of curiosity, every time you changed the oil, did you use a new crush washer?

Davicho: LOL. Brings me back memories of when I took apart the TB on my 2008 Yaris, s*** was so easy I expected more of a challenge but instead of a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle it was more like a Duplo block set. You couldn't get it wrong, it was like 5 big parts. My point is, after the TB cleaning, I started driving it, day in and day out, with no problems, until one day the MIL came on. I was like... DOH! Looking around under the hood for something stupid, I found an electrical connector was not connected. So I connected it. Next thing I know, I go to start her up, she sounded like a 1960's lawnmower running on fumes. It coughed and sputtered, then shut off. I gave it a rest. Tried to start her up again. This time she ran a bit longer, but still coughed and sputtered. I did this restarting thing for about 5 minutes until it finally stayed on and the cough and sputtering died out and it ran smooth again. Just saying, maybe it was an "idle learn." On the Yaris, Toyota went with a single-piece TB valve, it's all one unit with a single 8-pin (or so) connector, if it breaks, you buy a new one. I'm sure many manufacturers do the same thing, single-piece TB valves that are 100% electronic with no [apparent] adjustment. I never had a chance to do clean out the TB on my 5 but I'm sure it's similar, I have to do clean out the TB on my Odyssey, when I press the gas pedal from idle position, I get a notchy or stuck feeling, it's probably build up.

Anytime you disconnect the battery, or battery goes dead, or you mess with the TB an idle learn procedure must be performed.

Get in close the door and make sure you don't start this procedure until dome lights have gone out completely. Turn the key to the ACC position (when all dash lights go on right before the START position) make sure you turn off all accesories (radio, AC, lights) nothing must be on. Leave it in that position for about 30-45 seconds during that time the check engine light will blink 3 times and then remain on again. After that happens, turn the engine on and just sit in there and let it idle for no less then 5 minutes. Don't touch anything just let it idle. After the 5 minutes idling turn it off and just let it sit for 1 minute before turning it on again. Voila!
Cool thanks man.

Out of curiosity, every time you changed the oil, did you use a new crush washer?

I have since I got it a little over two years ago, but the previous owner? Can't really say. It has been a little iffy since day one and has gotten a little worse over time. I'll get one of the "slightly oversized" jobbies and call it good.

Swapped out a malfunctioning EGR Vacuum Solenoid (because nobody loves getting 16 MPG...) .

Also found out Mitsubishi makes parts like that.

Next up! The exhaust system! Where a Pipe has been discovered to have an extremely screwed rig that could potentially kill me while driving (seriously, I gotta take pics...there's even a wash cloth included in the "rig").

Swapped out a malfunctioning EGR Vacuum Solenoid (because nobody loves getting 16 MPG...) .

Also found out Mitsubishi makes parts like that.

Next up! The exhaust system! Where a Pipe has been discovered to have an extremely screwed rig that could potentially kill me while driving (seriously, I gotta take pics...there's even a wash cloth included in the "rig").

Are we talking about a Mazda5 or Protoge5?

Put some gas in and enjoyed the drive to work.

I used to drive a family Mini-Van...to work in one city, to college in another city, and then the Significant Other two cities away...all in different directions of course.

At my max, I was paying $250/mo for gas.

Now that I have my Protege5...life is so much better.

Decided to wrap some stuff with brushed aluminum vinyl. Was my first time using vinyl. It's not perfect but its adequate for now.

Definitely need a black interior, the tan sucks

I'll trade you my black interior for your tan interior :) Black gets really hot here in Southern CA, I wish I had the tan.

David

Back