Trouble Shifting into Reverse

Not really. If for some reason it won't, I usually move it to first and then back to reverse. Works fine after that.

How many miles/what kind of car/what kind of mods do you have?

I do the same, wasn't sure if it was normal. Never had to do that with any other Mazda/ other car for that matter before.

I've got an 07 Speed6, with 6000 miles... H&R spring,KN air filter and MagnaFlow exhaust

Last edited:
Eh. I think that the sychros may come unaligned a bit after you let your foot off the brake after shutting down. I had an 02 Tacoma that did the same thing. Same thing happened with my 1987 Mazda B2000. I just put it into first and then back into reverse. Works fine after that.

Of course...I could be wrong. Just my guess though... ;)

It could be several...

It could be several things going on inside the trans. You can try changing the fluid, and it might help.

As long as the trans isn't making any abnormal noise i wouldn't sweat it too bad until you have a good reason to drop the trans out, and go through it. I.E. doing a clutch.

this samething happened to me. its accually still happening. Check your solenoids. Its most likely that. unless its a manual tranny... then i have no idea

Anyone having trouble shifting into reverse?

yep i had this trouble too.. IF youre driving the ms6/ms3?? its not what youre thinking.. at least with mine it was that crazy reverse lock we have.. it has a very small little slot it needs to fit into to go into reverse.. its cheap plastic and can wear out.. when it does it has a hard time reaching the point to go into reverse.. when i installed my TWM i dumped it entirely.. i now have no form of reverse lock but, ive never had that problem again.. I dont recommend it if youre not sure about your driving skills.. its now super easy to launch into reverse.. so be careful!!

Back