smoked taillights?

2:1 is way too much black! id use more along the lines of 4:1 or maybe even 6:1! when i did my focus tailights i did 2 coats of 4 parts clear to 1 part black and it was too dark! make sure to use single stage black so that the paint doesnt blotch from the clear! if its single stage the clear and the paint will become one and harden in perfect harmony! lol

beg to differ...mine are perfect.
2:1 sprayed on 2 coats.
just do yourself a favor and be in a dust free environment...that's my only grip with mine...bit o dust...

EBAY! I bought tint for mine and it took 10 minutes to put on and looks good. No air bubbles, but the key is to not do it in extreme heat or bubbles will form.

Tint Came off in the automated car wash. Don't use it if you go to Waterway and that kind of stuff. I'll try and Niteshade it or get it professionally done. How much would professionally cost?

I recently did mine using the duplicolor tint from autozone. I used info from this site and found the process pretty straight forward. Simply clean the tails throughly, spray, let stand, wet sand with 1000, wet sand with 2000 polish and off you go. Also i was polishing for a long long long time like 20 a tail and wet sanding for like 20 a taillight. Looks good now though, almost stock, if you decide to spray be very thorough and hit the tails from different angles as the bulge out slightly so hit the tops and bottoms.

I recently did mine using the duplicolor tint from autozone. I used info from this site and found the process pretty straight forward. Simply clean the tails throughly, spray, let stand, wet sand with 1000, wet sand with 2000 polish and off you go. Also i was polishing for a long long long time like 20 a tail and wet sanding for like 20 a taillight. Looks good now though, almost stock, if you decide to spray be very thorough and hit the tails from different angles as the bulge out slightly so hit the tops and bottoms.

So its called DUPLICOLOR?? I might go look for it tonight?? You sprayed the out side of the tail light correct? Did you scuff sand the light first? Or just wiped it down?

I would shy away from paint and go with a film to do the job. Pull the taillights off, apply the film, then put them back on the car. Worst case, if you have to remove it, it's 100% reversible.

I believe most places do the tinting without pulling the lights. Atleast D & L told me that they wouldnt pull them for the job.

I just got pulled over (30 minutes ago) for a smoked cover over my license plate...so ill probably not try and smoke my lights... Looks good though!

noooooooooooooooooooooooo niteshades sucks! your tails will look dull.

take them to a paint shop and have them sprayed professionally. Trust me!

btw, the smoked out look isnt very classy. If you really want the smoked look. You should invest in vinyl overlays. When you go to sell the car, you can peel them off. Plus, the vinyl is the same consistency so it will all be one color. With paint, some areas tend to be darker than others if done incorrectly... with nightshades its guaranteed to look like ass

the other option is to split the tail lights and spray the insides black to remove the chrome. I can walk you through it if you wish

I would love the walk through for splitting the tails if you don't mind. PM me!

Well, there's a difference between a tinted plate cover and tinted lights. If your plates are covered there's a possibility that your car won't be identified by either cameras or the police... you don't run that risk when tinting lights. It just becomes more of a saftey hazard to yourself and other vehicles/pedestrians. Some cops are more leniant about it than others.

Done at a professional tint shop that uses lamin-x films. Been through several car washes and they're still holding up great with no bubbles or peels. Also the led brake light on the spoiler is also tinted.

SunDec27210701EST2009.jpg

SunDec27210657EST2009.jpg

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but i was thinking about tinting my tail lights and side markers but i was wondering if it is in fact illegal. I haven't been able to find any definate answers just some people saying it is, others saying it isn't.

I've never been pulled over for it, I believe as long as you can see the light shine through your're golden. and also have 2 visible reflectors which are located on the bumper anyways.

Back