Concerned Buyer

ajd116

I am going to be buying a new car in a couple of weeks so I have been looking around forums trying to find out everything i can. So far I have narrowed my decision down to a mazdaspeed3 or a vw gti. Now when i look at the gti forums they are filled with positive things about how they all love there car, then i look on this site and there are posts about the engines falling out. Basically im wondering if I buy a brand new MS3 is this something i will have to be concerned about cause if so im definitetly going to go with the gti.

im sure not worried about it. if it happens it happens. that what we have warranties for. and if you are still worried spend a few hundred bucks on aftermarket mounts and call it a day. now you just got a faster car that handles better.

Last edited:
to each his own... if you like the vw go for it.. as long as you dont beat yourself up too bad when you get smoked by a stock ms3, jk. I say say drive them both and go for what you like most.

If you read Car and Driver their long term test of the GTI they loved it, but then again there were a lot of little yet expensive things that needed to be fixed, its not as fast as a MS3 either. The motor falling out issue has been resolved in 08+ models and most of the time your going to find on forums people having problems and wanting help to fix them. That scared me too before I bought mine but I love it and have no issues.

Both vehicles are great drivers cars. Small repairs on the GTI will cost more, but that may not be a great concern for you. I find them to be very different in feel, so I would go with the one that feels best. Obviously we are Mazda people here, so our decision has been made. I think you just need to get some seat time - go to some dealers.

You should not find any problems with both cars as of now. However, if you do some stupid modifications, that's a different story. Basically, for those two cars, choose the one you like to drive in as a daily driver.

Holy Girlyman, what whoosey answers. is this a Mazda site or a Prius site? The MS3 is the best all around hot hatch on the market. (read Jan. 09 car & driver in case you have any doubts!!) I read the GTI sites also. The first thing they have to do is go with Stage 1 mods, just to keep up with a STOCK MS3!! I have an 08. Zero problems. Zero oil burn. Yes I said ZERO! (Mobil 1, 5W-30) I drove an 08 GTI before I bought. If you are married to your grandma, go with the GTI!!

Yes the MS3 has won all 3 of the comparo tests its been in, its a sweet car for the price and there are quite a few mods around that are cheap and easy to do that make the car even better than all the tests rave about. People have different tastes so if you want some plaid seats and to drive a german 2.0T with the same hp as a honda 2.0L NA then go for it. Like previously mentioned on a mazda forum people are going to tell you to go mazda.

try to remember too that forums are generally filled with people who mod their cars, and likely put them through a little more stress than the others. The MS3 has won several rewards and is a great car. Here's a quick list

"What's that you say? You have a serious need for speed but shortage on cash? The MAZDASPEED3 will leave the Volkswagen R32 in the dust – and $10,540 for gas money in your pocket."
— AUTOMOBILE Magazine 08.2008

1st Place MAZDASPEED3
"Simply the best muscle, poise, practicality and price in the segment."
— Edmunds’ Inside Line (2008-'09 Sport Compact Comparison Test: 2008 MAZDASPEED3 vs. 2008 Subaru Imprezza WRX vs. Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart) 08.2008

"Clearly the MAZDASPEED3 has little to fear from the SRT4 Caliber."
Comparison: “Dodge Caliber SRT4 Vs. Mazda MAZDASPEED3. SRT4, where’s the bite?”
— Road & Track 02.2008

10Best Cars 2008
"The MAZDASPEED3, a 10Best repeater, is the current leader of a small but competitive pack."
— CarandDriver 01.2008 (10Best Cars 2008, MAZDASPEED3)

Thanks for the help and i am planing on test driving both cars before i make a decision good to know that the problem is not as common as i first feared. I just know what its like to get a car and then see it spend alot of time in the shop instead of on the road.

im sure not worried about it. if it happens it happens. that what we have warranties for. and if you are still worried spend a few hundred bucks on aftermarket mounts and call it a day. now you just got a faster car that handles better for 10 grand less.

gti is the same price stupid. as tested in car and driver it was 25539, the speed3 was 25125. 10 grand.....(huh)

Thanks for the help and i am planing on test driving both cars before i make a decision good to know that the problem is not as common as i first feared. I just know what its like to get a car and then see it spend alot of time in the shop instead of on the road.

definately decide for yourself by driving them. Edmunds does some really good reviews too. Obviously the opinion is biased on this site, just like it would be on a vw site.

Thought I'd never see the day when a VW would be considered over another car because of reliability.

Thought I'd never see the day when a VW would be considered over another car because of reliability.

Haha pretty funny isnt it? German engineering in da house ya.

_wsb_296x216_VW+commercial+represent.jpg

gti is the same price stupid. as tested in car and driver it was 25539, the speed3 was 25125. 10 grand.....(huh)

THANK YOU!!! i am glad someone say something, when i first read it... i was like WTF (beer) lol i know the R32 is 10 grand more but no one's saying anything about the R32....

yep you're right im wrong on that one!

be careful calling people stupid though.

In my opinion GTIs suck, WTF is up with plaid seats? And if I recall correctly aren't they made in Mexico?! My buddy had a VR6 and it was in the shop every single month with major problems. I think he had to tow his VW to the dealer like 7-8 times so far.

Back