94 626 = non-interference...right?

woo7

There is a guy (an old guy) on probetalk that is convinced that the 93-97 2.0L engines in the 626/mx-6/probe are interference engines. As far as I was concerned , they are not (I will not list why...it's common sense) Is there any argument you guys would suggest that will convince him? He's really screwing with people when they ask.

Mazda does not make interference engines. Well I cant vouch for these days but the probe/mx6 is not a interference engine

If I had a compete motor together I would take the timing belt off and turn the motor over while filming it. Unfortunately I don't have a complete motor and therefore can't prove it.

I thought they were non-interference too as I had a protege with an fs-de 2.0...but I keep finding stuff that says the probe/626/mx-6 motors are different somehow. That doesn't make sense, probably I'm just finding bad info.

Hmmm yeah defenitely just some bad info. The engines are defenitely both FS-DE's in the probe and the protege and they have the same bore and stroke and compression.

Tell the old guy to take off his timing belt and start it, and if it breaks (he'd need proof of course), you'll buy him a new engine. :p

the FSDE is non interference i believe from my past reading.

I have yet to read any stories of people blowing their engines from their timing belt snapping.

Car companies avoid using interference engines these days...

I know the B6/B6T series engines are non interference engines as well. All Valves are angled and dont open far enough to hit the pistons. Also did my headgasket replacement and moved both cams and the crank seperately. If its the same for the MX and probe, then the guys blowing air up your skirt.

Back