mircotech LT10 or haltech E6X

.mazda.speed.

:
Mazdaspeed Protege!
Pros and cons of each one? which is easier to install/tune? looking for a 300whp daily driver. about 16psi.

Why 16psi??? Do you have the engine internals for 16psi??? I think they are both good standalone units. Why not a piggyback like the AEM FIC??? What mods do you currently have?

i have used both - go haltech.

the haltech has more resolution, is more user friendly, can be tuned offline, can download maps to a computer.

I'll be making this same decision around Christmas time.

I think I am going to go Microtech, but that's because the local tuner here suggested it.

The battle of the EMS's begins!!! Shake hands and no hitting below the belt... I saw this happening :) How about buying the Megasquirt kit and soldering it yourself and then tuning it without any place to start???? Takes some real guts but if you have the skills it is cheaper than any other EMS other than retaining the stock one. Check out diyautotune.com if you are confused. Hopefully Santa(wife) will bring me my kit and I will have it together and confirmed the functionality by the time summer comes. Maybe I will try it on one of the motors I have sitting around in case I make a boo boo......ohhh and for my .02 I think if both Microtech and Haltech works well in the car and both are priced about the same is there really that much of a difference aside from who is willing to help you when you need assistance from someone that has it installed and running already??? That is something to consider.....who will help with maps and tuning and installation???

Why 16psi??? Do you have the engine internals for 16psi??? I think they are both good standalone units. Why not a piggyback like the AEM FIC??? What mods do you currently have?

no internals yet, planning to build up motor next year, but 16 psi is when i build motor. I wanna get something good so i only have to buy once. Im gonna search around some shop locally and see what they reccomend.
When you say haltech is more user freindly, do you think someone with no tuning backround, will be alright?

how is a system that cannot be tuned offline at all or even share maps a better value?

well i guess at the price you charge for an lt10s, anything else is better value. Microtech direct sell the LT10s at a rrp of $1195aud. at the current exchange rate of around $0.80 (it's lower than that now, but we'll use that for this example), the LT10s works out to $956usd. i cant see postage costing $400usd....

however, even on like for like terms, i dont see the reasoning for paying more money just to tune it offline or share maps? are those things *that* important??? i'm happy sitting in my car making slight adjustments with the engine off, but the car on. anyway, how many adjustments can you do safely offline? how often are you going to tune the car offline or share maps???

imo, a microtech you get all you need for engine management. other systems like haltech, motec et al, you just get more frilly extras which 9 our of 10 people will never use...so why pay for stuff you'll never use or even need?

however, even on like for like terms, i dont see the reasoning for paying more money just to tune it offline or share maps? are those things *that* important??? i'm happy sitting in my car making slight adjustments with the engine off, but the car on. anyway, how many adjustments can you do safely offline? how often are you going to tune the car offline or share maps???

yeah, to alot of people, its very important. and if you can do any amount of wideband datalogging, its very easy to make a wide range of adjustments with the vehicle off and outside the car. especially when its below 0 degrees outside and I need to make cold weather adjustments. wasn't fun. and the unit still doesn't have as much resolution X by Y as some of the other systems out there.

i buy the microtechs from NSN, so thats where my pricing came from. i haven't sold or even had a request for them in a long time, so i hadn't looked into any better pricing frankly.

if you are gonna drop atleast a grand on an ecu, then its comforting to know that your ecu is capable of variety of features if you do choose to use them in the future.

another pro to the haltech, it is a universal unit. you sell the protege, you can still use the haltech on another vehicle. the microtech is car specific.

in regards to the microtech pros, the unit is well supported on the forum. there seems to be a few very knowledgable guys running the system that help free of charge. you will get little to no support with the haltech unit (unless you buy it directly through a protege vendor). however, the haltech technical support is extremely friendly and helpful.

the microtech comes setup from the factory. you do not have to worry about ignition angles, tooth offset, injection type, etc.

if you end up going for a haltech unit, i recommend going for the E8.

Last edited:
Back