99 Protege wont start, not timing belt I think

gNaRKiLL

hey guys new here, been searching around for a solution to no avail.

I was driving my fiance's car the other day and when I pulled up to a stop sign and it simply died and wouldnt start.

I checked and it has spark, and the fuel pump is coming on, but I have not verified I am actually getting flow. i am pretty sure I am though since I check the plugs and one was a little wet after trying to start it for a few minutes.

So next I thought maybe a bad head gasket. I checked compression and heres the weird thing.

I am getting 60 psi across the board, so then I thought timing belt. I looked inside the oil filler cap and can see the cam spinning when the car cranks so it seems that the timing belt is in tact.

Could it have jumped time? I keep hearing about these tensioners, could it have gone bad enough for the car to jump time? After I verify fuel this weekend I think I am going to tear the timing belt apart and replace it. But I just wanted to see what you all think. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Chuck

Well I am knee deep in the car. Took off the valve cover and sure enough there is slack in the belt.

After getting the accessory belts and crank pulley (10 minutes of impacting) off and then all the covers I found my problem.

A $4 dollar tensioner spring. I have already purchased the timing belt kit with the two new pulleys and a water pump. but I didnt have a new spring so I had to order one and am waiting on that.

Only problem I have is that my new timing belt kit has a thinner belt and a smaller tensioner pulley. Has anyone else had this issue or was everything the exact same?

Over all though it really hasnt been that tough just time consuming and I still have to get it all back in time, which hopefully will be as easy as getting the engine to TDC and then turning the cam gears so the I and E are lining up at the center.

What engine do you have? The kit I got at Napa was an exact replacement and seems to be working fine. Don't make the mistakes I did 25k miles ago ( don't force the belt on because I was too lazy to pull the tensioner)

I believe the above combined with a bad spring is what did mine in. I'll help with timing if it's a 2.0L. I have pictures.

J.D.

Back